Skip to content
Search

Latest Stories

Nitin Sawhney to curate festival for Royal Albert Hall's 150th anniversary

by LAUREN CODLING

MUSICIAN Nitin Sawhney will curate a week-long festival celebrating the contribution of immigrants as part of the Royal Albert Hall’s 150th anniversary next year, it was confirmed last week.


Set to take place next October at the iconic London venue, Sawhney ’s Journeys will recognise the lives and contributions of immigrants over the past 150 years. It is part of a series of special events expected to take place throughout the year, in honour of the Royal Albert Hall’s anniversary on March 29. Headline shows by renowned musicians Patti Smith, Eric Clapton and John Legend are also part of the anniversary.

In an interview with Eastern Eye, Sawhney admitted the inspiration for Journeys stemmed from the “constant demonisation” of immigrants across society. “I’ve seen it across the board and I’m sick and tired of it,” the Ivor Novello winning composer said last Thursday (3). “I want to celebrate the contribution, both economically and culturally, of immigrants in the UK. This country has been so enhanced by the influx of immigrants from all over the world.”

Sawhney plans to research the history of the Royal Albert Hall by identifying events and artist contributions which have connections to the immigrant narrative. He pointed out a fundraising event for refugees in 1933, which featured scientist Albert Einstein as a principal speaker. Looking into events such as these will help him draw inspiration for the festival, he explained.

Sawhney will also headline a solo show on October 29, featuring music from his new album Immigrants. Described as a “musical celebration of immigrants across the world”, the record will be released in March. It will showcase work inspired by and contributed to by artists who identify as immigrants or are of immigrant heritage.

Reflecting on plans for the upcoming event, Sawhney praised Neil Warnock, chairman of the Royal Albert Hall’s 150th anniversary committee, and the venue’s artistic director Lucy Noble. “It’s great they want to embrace this idea of what Journeys represents, because it’s a celebration,” Sawhney, from Kent, explained. “It aligns well with the way in which they are thinking of the 150th celebrations, as a whole”.

The concert hall closed its doors earlier this year due to the coronavirus pandemic. It is the first time the building has been forced to shut since it was bombed during the Second World War. It was reported earlier this year the closure has cost the South Kensington venue £18 million, plus £6.5m in refunded ticket sales.

Although Sawhney expressed excitement for the venue’s reopening, he acknowledged there would still be problems ahead. “It is going be tricky for a while,” he admitted. “The Royal Albert Hall will (only be able to accommodate) 50 per cent of its typical capacity and it’s a little bit difficult for them to make a decent amount of money and cover their overheads. But I’m very excited that they’re going ahead with all of this, and I think it is going to be fantastic.”

Sawhney has had a long-standing relationship with the Royal Albert Hall, having performed on numerous occasions. He said his first solo appearance in the late 1990s was a highlight, a “weird moment” when he stepped onto the stage of his sold-out concert. “Only a few years before, we’d been pleased to get 70 people coming to a gig,” the British Indian producer laughed. “So, it was just strange to suddenly see how we’d actually got an audience who really understood the music, knew all the songs and were really involved with it. I thought it was such a beautiful thing.”

During his extensive career, Sawhney has performed at numerous high-profile venues, including Australia’s Sydney Opera House and the Hollywood Bowl in Los Angeles. However, he described the Royal Albert Hall as “the most exciting stage to step out on”. “I’ve played some of the best venues in the world in some beautiful places,” he said, “but I think there’s just such a sense of occasion when you play the

Royal Albert Hall.”

Other highlights during the year-long celebrations include a special birthday concert by James Bond composer David Arnold; a contemporary restaging of opera Carmen by choreographer Matthew Bourne and a run of celebratory shows by the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra.

More For You

Sri Lanka forms committee to address UK sanctions
Anura Kumara Dissanayake

Sri Lanka forms committee to address UK sanctions

THE Sri Lanka government on Wednesday (2) formed a committee to recommend measures regarding the UK's decision to impose sanctions on three former military commanders who led the campaign that crushed the Liberation Tigers of Tamil Eelam (LTTE) in 2009.

Health minister Nalinda Jayatissa told reporters that foreign minister Vijitha Herath, justice minister Harshana Nanayakkara and deputy minister of defence Aruna Jayasekara would comprise the committee that would consult experts for the purpose.

Keep ReadingShow less
Gujarat-blast-ANI

The blast caused the factory’s concrete roof to collapse, scattering debris and body parts across the area, officials confirmed. (Photo: ANI)

ANI

Death toll rises to 21 in Gujarat firework factory explosion

AN EXPLOSION at an illegal firecracker factory in Gujarat's Deesa town killed 21 people and injured several others on Tuesday, officials said.

The blast caused the factory’s concrete roof to collapse, scattering debris and body parts across the area, officials confirmed.

Keep ReadingShow less
Child benefit payments set to rise for UK families

Child benefit, normally paid every four weeks directly into bank accounts, has undergone significant changes in recent months (Photo: Getty Images)

Child benefit payments set to rise for UK families

MILLIONS of British families are set to receive a financial boost as child benefit payments increase from April 7, according to HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC).

From next week, parents will receive £26.05 per week for the eldest or only child, amounting to £1,354.60 annually - up from the current rate of £25.60. For each additional child, payments will rise to £17.25 weekly, totalling £897 per year - an increase from the present £16.95 rate. This represents a 1.7 per cent increase across all payment categories.

Keep ReadingShow less
Anant Ambani Walks 140 Km in Spiritual Tribute on 30th Birthday

Anant’s padyatra is a reflection of the larger cultural fabric of India

Getty

Anant Ambani embarks on a 140-kilometer spiritual journey on foot to celebrate 30th birthday

Anant Ambani, a director of Reliance Industries Limited and a prominent figure in Indian industry, has chosen a unique and spiritual way to mark his 30th birthday. As part of his celebrations, he is currently undertaking a padyatra—a traditional pilgrimage on foot—from Jamnagar to Dwarka, covering a distance of approximately 140 kilometres. The journey reflects his devotion to Lord Dwarkadhish, the presiding deity of the Dwarkadhish Temple in the city of Dwarka.

Anant began his journey from his family’s residence in Moti Khavdi, Jamnagar, and has been progressing steadily for the past five days. Walking an estimated 10-12 kilometres each night, he travels under the protection of Z+ security and local police, ensuring his safety during this significant journey. The padyatra is expected to take between seven to nine days in total, with plans to conclude at the Dwarkadhish Temple in time for his birthday on April 10.

Keep ReadingShow less
New TB action plan proposed as cases surge

Government urged experts to come forward to help draw up a new five-year TB action plan. (Photo: Getty Images)

New TB action plan proposed as cases surge

BRITAIN on Wednesday (2) urged health experts and sufferers of tuberculosis (TB) to come forward to help draw up a new five-year action plan as it deals with record rises in the disease.

In 2023, England recorded its largest annual increase (11 per cent) in cases since enhanced surveillance began in 2000.

Keep ReadingShow less