Skip to content
Search

Latest Stories

Novartis scraps sale of assets including COVID-19 hopeful to India's Aurobindo

NOVARTIS AG on Thursday (2) scrapped the $1 billion sale of U.S. generic pill and skin drug assets to India's Aurobindo Pharma Ltd as regulators balked, setting back the Swiss drugmaker's shift to more profitable medicines.

The cancellation leaves hydroxychloroquine, an older malaria drug that Novartis Chief Executive Vas Narasimhan is touting as a potential coronavirus treatment, in its Sandoz generic unit's portfolio.


Novartis is donating 130 million hydroxychloroquine doses to support efforts against the epidemic, though the European Union has so far said there is no proof it works.

Novartis said the Aurobindo deal's collapse was not coronavirus-related, from its perspective, but stemmed from the US Federal Trade Commission's not giving approval within expected timelines. The transaction was supposed to have been completed last year but was delayed repeatedly.

Narasimhan announced the transaction with India's Aurobindo in September 2018 as he hoped to shed generics assets in the United States that have faced fierce price pressure and dragged down Sandoz's profitability.

In 2019, the U.S. assets continued to weigh on Sandoz's performance, as the generics division's sales fell 1% to $9.7 billion as price erosion in the United States canceled growth elsewhere. Sales in the oral solids and skin business fell to $1.1 billion in 2019 from $1.2 billion in 2018.

Earlier this year, Novartis projected Sandoz's sales were expected to grow at a low-single-digit rate in 2020, excluding the U.S. oral solids and dermatology businesses. The company did not immediately update guidance now that Sandoz will continue to operate the assets within its U.S. business.

Though a tiny part of Sandoz's and other drugmakers' portfolios, hydroxychloroquine has been subject of intense attention after U.S. President Donald Trump touted it as a potential miracle cure against COVID-19.

The EU has sought to mute expectations, however, citing a lack of data on whether the drug works, but countries including India and Hungary have banned exports as trials are under way to assess its efficacy.

More For You

King Charles

The palace said in a statement that after receiving scheduled treatment in the morning, the king had 'temporary side effects that required a short period of observation in hospital.' (Photo: Getty Images)

Getty Images

King Charles cancels engagements after cancer treatment side effects

KING CHARLES has postponed his engagements for Thursday and Friday after experiencing side effects from his ongoing cancer treatment, Buckingham Palace announced.

The palace said in a statement that after receiving scheduled treatment in the morning, the king had "temporary side effects that required a short period of observation in hospital."

Keep ReadingShow less
OpenAI Restricts ChatGPT’s Image Feature After Viral Ghibli Trend

Altman addressed the impact of the popular Ghibli-style image trend on OpenAI’s resources

Getty

OpenAI limits ChatGPT’s image generation feature amid viral Ghibli image trend

OpenAI CEO Sam Altman has announced temporary limitations on the company’s image generation feature in response to overwhelming demand driven by a viral trend. On Thursday, Altman addressed the impact of the popular Ghibli-style image trend on OpenAI’s resources, particularly its reliance on GPUs (graphics processing units). Altman revealed that the surge in demand for ChatGPT’s image generation tool has led to significant strain on the company’s infrastructure, prompting the introduction of temporary speed limits for users.

In a post on X (formerly Twitter), Altman shared the company’s response to the unexpected demand, stating, “It’s super fun seeing people love images in ChatGPT, but our GPUs are melting. We are going to temporarily introduce some rate limits while we work on making it more efficient. Hopefully won’t be long! ChatGPT free tier will get 3 generations per day soon.”

Keep ReadingShow less
Salman Rushdie to release first major work since stabbing
Rushdie was stabbed about 15 times: in the head, neck, torso and left hand, blinding his right eye and damaging his liver and intestines. (Photo: Getty Images)

Salman Rushdie to release first major work since stabbing

BRITISH-AMERICAN novelist Salman Rushdie will publish his first major work of fiction since the brutal stabbing that blinded him in one eye, his publisher said on Thursday (27).

The Eleventh Hour, is a collection of short stories examining themes and places of interest to Rushdie who narrowly escaped death during the 2022 attack. It will be released on November 4, 2025.

Keep ReadingShow less
Aamir Khan’s ‘Laapataa Ladies’ Audition Goes Viral – But He Lost the Role!

Dressed as a cop and chewing paan, Aamir Khan delivers his lines in the viral audition clip from Laapataa Ladies

Youtube Screengrab/Aamir Khan Talkies

Aamir Khan auditioned for ‘Laapataa Ladies’ but lost the role: Video goes viral!

Aamir Khan’s attempt to play a small-town cop in Kiran Rao’s Laapataa Ladies has sparked conversation among fans, thanks to a newly surfaced audition tape. The Bollywood star, who also produced the film, had initially hoped to take on the role of Sub-Inspector Shyam Manohar. However, director Kiran Rao ultimately chose Ravi Kishan for the part, a decision that many now agree was the right call.

The audition tape, shared on Aamir’s recently launched YouTube channel, Aamir Khan Talkies, shows the actor in a police uniform, chewing paan and trying out a rural accent. The video also includes bloopers, giving fans a insider view in to his efforts to embody the character. While Aamir is known for his dedication to roles, viewers were quick to point out that something felt off. Many felt his polished screen presence made him seem out of place as the rustic and rough-around-the-edges cop.

Keep ReadingShow less
UK-business-district-Getty
The Canary Wharf business district including global financial institutions in London. (Photo: Getty Images)

Economic growth in 2024 slightly higher than estimated: ONS

THE UK economy grew slightly more than first estimated in 2024, according to official data released on Friday, providing a small boost for the government after it revised down its growth forecast for 2025.

The Office for National Statistics (ONS) said gross domestic product expanded by 1.1 per cent in 2024, up from an initial estimate of 0.9 per cent.

Keep ReadingShow less