Skip to content
Search

Latest Stories

Nurse convicted of plotting hospital and RAF base bombings

Mohammad Farooq, 28, had previously pleaded guilty to possession of an explosive substance with intent to endanger life

Nurse convicted of plotting hospital and RAF base bombings

A MAN was convicted on Tuesday (2) of planning an attack on a military base after being arrested with an explosive device in the grounds of a hospital, Britain's Crown Prosecution Service said.

Mohammad Farooq was found guilty of preparing acts of terrorism following a trial at Sheffield Crown Court, in northern England.


The 28-year-old had previously pleaded guilty to possession of an explosive substance with intent to endanger life, possession of an explosive substance in suspicious circumstances, possession of information likely to be useful to a terrorist, and other offences.

Farooq was arrested outside St James's Hospital in Leeds, where he had previously worked as a student nurse, after showing a member of the public a gun and saying he "felt like killing everyone", the CPS said.

Police who attended the scene discovered in Farooq's bag a pressure cooker with wires attached, which bomb disposal experts found to be a viable explosive device.

The CPS said Farooq's electronic devices revealed evidence of his interest in radical Islamist ideology and research into RAF Menwith Hill, a nearby Royal Air Force base in North Yorkshire.

The court heard that Farooq was prevented from executing the attack when a patient, Nathan Newby, intervened, moved him away, and alerted the authorities.

Initially targeting RAF Menwith Hill, a spy base, Farooq turned to the "softer" target of St James's Hospital. He was apprehended outside the hospital with a bomb designed to be highly destructive.

According to prosecutors, Farooq embraced extremist Islamic ideology, seeking martyrdom through a violent terrorist act. He harboured grievances against former colleagues and intended to provoke a lethal police response.

Prosecutor Jonathan Sandiford KC mentioned that Farooq harbored grievances against former colleagues, engaging in a campaign of hostility towards them.

Sandiford noted that "two strokes of luck" played roles in preventing the intended attack. The first was a delayed response to a bomb threat text sent to an off-duty nurse, which hindered the full evacuation Farooq anticipated.

Sandiford explained that after initially leaving, Farooq returned with a new plan to wait in a hospital cafe until a staff shift change, intending to detonate his device.

The court heard that another fortunate circumstance occurred when Newby, smoking outside the hospital, observed Farooq.

He had pleaded not guilty to but was convicted of preparing a terrorist attack at RAF Menwith Hill. He will be sentenced at a later date.

Bethan David, head of the CPS Counter Terrorism Division, said in a statement: "Farooq is an extremely dangerous individual who amassed a significant amount of practical and theoretical information that enabled him to produce a viable explosive device.

"He then took that homemade explosive device to a hospital where he worked with the intention to cause serious harm. Examination of his electronic devices revealed a hatred towards his colleagues at work and those he considered non-believers.

"It is clear from his internet searches that he was also conducting extensive research of RAF Menwith Hill, with a view to launching a potential attack."

(with inputs from Reuters)

More For You

Virgin-Atlantic-iStock

The flight departed from London Heathrow at 11:40am BST on 2 April and was scheduled to arrive in Mumbai at 8:10pm BST. (Representational image: iStock)

iStock

London-Mumbai Virgin Atlantic flight diverted, passengers stranded for over 40 hours

PASSENGERS on Virgin Atlantic flight VS358 from London Heathrow to Mumbai faced significant delays—now over 40 hours—after the aircraft was diverted to Turkey due to a medical emergency, followed by technical inspections.

Passengers have criticised the airline for leaving them in “awful” conditions for two days at an airport with limited facilities.

Keep ReadingShow less
snowstorm across England

The sunshine might soon be swapped for snowflakes in several regions

Getty

Weather forecast warns of mid-April snowstorm across England

After enjoying the sunniest March on record, Britain is in for an unexpected turn in the weather this April, with forecasts pointing to a blast of wintry conditions. According to weather maps from WX Charts, snow could make a widespread return across England and Wales in mid-April, accompanied by a sharp dip in temperatures.

While spring is officially underway and warmer days have given a welcome taste of summer ahead, it seems the sunshine might soon be swapped for snowflakes in several regions. This sudden change could temporarily put a stop to the dry and sunny spell many have enjoyed so far this month.

Keep ReadingShow less
'Staff sickness still high at Birmingham hospitals'

The report said an action plan has been developed and was now in place to try to tackle the issues causing the sickness absences.

'Staff sickness still high at Birmingham hospitals'

Gurdip Thandi

CONCERNS remain about the high level of sickness suffered among staff at hospitals in Birmingham.

Bosses at University Hospitals Birmingham NHS Foundation Trust said they “need to do a lot more” in terms of bringing sick levels down and looking at their existing measures to see how effective they are.

Keep ReadingShow less
Streeting: Health deal signals new era in UK-India relations

Catherine West, Wes Streeting and Seema Malhotra

Streeting: Health deal signals new era in UK-India relations

THE recent UK–India health and life sciences agreement will strengthen cooperation on healthcare innovation and security in both countries, health secretary Wes Streeting said.

He also paid tribute to British Asians, saying the communities were pivotal in the growth of the NHS since its inception in 1948.

Keep ReadingShow less
'Jagtar Singh Johal in solitary confinement in India'
Jagtar Singh Johal (Image credit: Facebook/Free Jaggi Now)

'Jagtar Singh Johal in solitary confinement in India'

A British Sikh activist remains in solitary confinement in an Indian prison, despite being cleared of terrorism charges by a Punjab court last month, reported The Guardian.

Jagtar Singh Johal's family said that he is under constant surveillance, with no access to other prisoners, and fear for his mental and physical health.

Keep ReadingShow less