Skip to content
Search

Latest Stories

Oxfam CEO urges victims to come forward as Asia abuse allegations revealed

by LAUREN CODLING

OXFAM is investigating 26 new cases of sexual misconduct, including 16 in its international


operations, it was announced on Tuesday (20).

Speaking to a parliamentary committee in London early on Tuesday, Oxfam’s CEO Mark Goldring stated the charity wanted people to come forward with any further accusations,

before apologising “wholeheartedly” for Oxfam’s conduct over the issue.

Sexual abuse is also alleged to have occurred in Bangladesh involving Oxfam aid workers, it was revealed last week.

Lan Mercado, Asia’s regional director at Oxfam, said she was aware of abuse having taken place in Asia including Bangladesh, the Philippines and Nepal. Mercado, who took up her role in 2016, claimed although she knew of similar abuse cases, the scale of misconduct was “not comparable” to the incidents reported in Haiti.

The Oxfam-Haiti scandal came to light earlier this month after various Oxfam senior aid workers based in Haiti during the 2010 earthquake reportedly paid local prostitutes for sex.

Since the initial allegations, reports have surfaced regarding abuse in Africa and Asia.

Roland van Hauwermeiren, a country director for Oxfam who admitted paying for sex and was offered a “phased and dignified exit” of resignation, became a senior figure in Bangladesh at charity Action Against Hunger (AAH) after his dismissal from Oxfam in 2011.

A spokesperson from AAH claimed Oxfam did not disclose his prior actions of misconduct. Van Hauwermeiren was the country director for Bangladesh between August 2012 and August 2014, but it was confirmed the French charity had not received any complaints about his behaviour.

“We have not received any alerts regarding sexual misconduct or abuse during the aid worker’s assignment with AAH,” the spokesperson said.

“We have now, however, begun a process to closely scrutinise that period.

“AAH commit to full disclosure and collaboration with the relevant authorities.”

Oxfam did not respond to Eastern Eye when asked about any on-going investigations in Asia.

On Monday (19), Oxfam made a formal apology to Haiti. The humanitarian charity expressed its “shame” and vowed to do better in the future.

Earlier in the day, the charity publicly revealed a 2011 report into the behaviour of aid workers working in Haiti. The report exposed three members of staff who had physically

threatened a witness in the prostitution investigation.

In response to the revelations, Haiti’s president Jovenel Moise posted on social media last week that there was “nothing more unworthy or dishonest than a sexual predator” taking advantage of a natural disaster “to exploit needy people in their moment of great vulnerability.”

Last Friday (16), international development secretary Penny Mordaunt said after threats from the UK government to halt funding, Oxfam had agreed not to bid for any more money until officials were satisfied that the charity could meet sufficient ethical standards.

“Oxfam has agreed to withdraw from bidding for any new UK Government funding until (the Department for International Development) is satisfied that they can meet the high standards we expect of our partners,” Mordaunt said in a statement.

Oxfam said it was right not to bid for any new government contracts, given public concern about the recent revelations. “We are committed to proving that we deserve

the confidence of the UK public,” it said.

More For You

british-muslims-iStock

The study noted that this identification was not due to any doctrinal obligation but was influenced by the perception that many Muslims do not feel fully accepted as British. (Representational image: iStock)

iStock

Majority of British Muslims identify by faith first, study finds

A STUDY by the Institute for the Impact of Faith in Life (IIFL) has found that most British Muslims identify primarily with their religion rather than their nationality.

The research, based on a survey of 815 British Muslim adults by Whitestone Insight, revealed that 71 per cent of respondents identified as Muslim first, while 27 per cent identified as British, English, or Scottish first.

Keep ReadingShow less
Car Tax Changes: EV Owners Now Required to Pay for the First Time

Owners of electric vehicles registered on or after 1 April 2025 will pay £10 for the first year, followed by the standard VED rate of £195 from the second year. (Representational image: iStock)

iStock

Car tax changes take effect: EV owners to pay for first time

FROM today, 1 April 2025, electric cars, vans, and motorcycles in the UK will be subject to Vehicle Excise Duty (VED) for the first time.

The change, introduced in the 2022 Autumn Statement by former Conservative Chancellor Jeremy Hunt, aims to make motoring taxation fairer.

Keep ReadingShow less
scotland-minimum-wages-iStock

Full-time workers on the National Living Wage will receive an annual pay increase of £1,400 in real terms. (Representational image: iStock)

iStock

Wage increase takes effect for thousands of workers in Scotland

HUNDREDS of thousands of workers in Scotland will see a pay increase as new National Living Wage and National Minimum Wage rates take effect from Tuesday.

The changes will benefit approximately 220,000 people, according to STV News.

Keep ReadingShow less
uk-energy-bill-iStock

Water bills, energy prices, and council tax are rising, while the minimum wage has also increased (Representational image: iStock)

iStock

April bill increases put financial strain on single parents

A RANGE of essential household bills are increasing from April, with Citizens Advice warning that single parents will be among the hardest hit.

Water bills, energy prices, and council tax are rising, while the minimum wage has also increased, BBC reported.

Keep ReadingShow less
Netflix drama Adolescence to be screened in UK schools
Stephen Graham and Owen Cooper in 'Adolescence'
Netflix

Netflix drama Adolescence to be screened in UK schools

THE NETFLIX drama Adolescence will be shown in UK secondary schools as part of efforts to address harmful online influences on young boys, officials announced on Monday.

The show has sparked debate over the impact of toxic and misogynistic content on the internet. Prime minister Keir Starmer met the show's creators, charities, and young people at Downing Street, calling the initiative an important step in starting discussions about the content teenagers are exposed to online.

Keep ReadingShow less