Skip to content
Search

Latest Stories

Pakistan to privatise all state-owned companies

Country now pledges to sell off both loss and profit-making enterprises.

Pakistan to privatise all state-owned companies

PAKISTAN will privatise all state-owned enterprises, with the exception of strategic entities, prime minister Shehbaz Sharif said on Tuesday (14), broadening its initial plans to sell only lossmaking state firms to shore up its shaky finances.

The announcement came after Sharif headed a review meeting of the privatisation process of lossmaking state enterprises (SOEs), according to a statement from his office, which discussed a roadmap for privatisation from 2024 to 2029.


“All of the state-owned enterprises will be privatised whether they are in profit or in losses,” Sharif said, adding that offloading the companies would save taxpayers’ money.

The statement didn’t clarify which sectors would be deemed strategic and non-strategic.

The announcement came a day after an International Monetary Fund mission opened talks in Islamabad for a new long-term Extended Fund Facility, following Pakistan’s completion of a $3 billion (£2.38bn) standby arrangement last month, which averted a sovereign debt default last summer.

Privatisation of loss-making SOEs has long been on the IMF’s list of recommendations for Pakistan, which is struggling with a high fiscal shortfall and a huge external financing gap. Foreign exchange reserves are hardly enough to meet a couple of months of controlled imports.

The IMF says SOEs in Pakistan hold sizeable assets in comparison with most Middle East countries, at 44 per cent of GDP in 2019, yet their share of employment in the economy is relatively low. It estimates almost half of the SOEs operated at a loss in 2019.

Past privatisation drives were patchy, mainly due to a lack of political will, market watchers said.

Any organisation that is involved in purely commercial work can’t be strategic by its very nature, which means there can’t be any strategic commercial SOEs, former privatisation minister Fawad Hasan Fawad told Reuters on Tuesday.

“To me, there are really no strategic SOEs,” he said.

“The sooner we get rid of them the better. But this isn’t the first time we have heard a PM say this and this may not be the last till these words are translated into a strategic action plan and implemented,” Fawad added.

Islamabad has for years been pumping billions of dollars into cash-bleeding SOEs to keep them afloat, including one of the largest loss-making enterprises Pakistan International Airline (PIA), which is in its final phase of being sold off, with a deadline later this week to seek expressions of interest from potential buyers.

Pakistan has listed 25 entities and assets on its privatisation list, including the PIA. A majority of the entities are in the power sector, including four power plants, two of which are over 1,200MWs, as well as 10 generation and distribution companies.

The list also includes overseas assets, such as the valuable Roosevelt hotel in New York’s Manhattan and two insurance companies.

The pre-qualification process for PIA’s selloff will be completed by end-May, the privatisation ministry told Tuesday’s meeting, adding discussions were underway to sell the airline-owned Roosevelt Hotel in New York.

It said a government-to-government transaction on First Women Bank Ltd was being discussed with the United Arab Emirates, and added that power distribution companies had also been included in the privatisation plan for 2024-2029. (Reuters)

More For You

british-muslims-iStock

The study noted that this identification was not due to any doctrinal obligation but was influenced by the perception that many Muslims do not feel fully accepted as British. (Representational image: iStock)

iStock

Majority of British Muslims identify by faith first, study finds

A STUDY by the Institute for the Impact of Faith in Life (IIFL) has found that most British Muslims identify primarily with their religion rather than their nationality.

The research, based on a survey of 815 British Muslim adults by Whitestone Insight, revealed that 71 per cent of respondents identified as Muslim first, while 27 per cent identified as British, English, or Scottish first.

Keep ReadingShow less
Car Tax Changes: EV Owners Now Required to Pay for the First Time

Owners of electric vehicles registered on or after 1 April 2025 will pay £10 for the first year, followed by the standard VED rate of £195 from the second year. (Representational image: iStock)

iStock

Car tax changes take effect: EV owners to pay for first time

FROM today, 1 April 2025, electric cars, vans, and motorcycles in the UK will be subject to Vehicle Excise Duty (VED) for the first time.

The change, introduced in the 2022 Autumn Statement by former Conservative Chancellor Jeremy Hunt, aims to make motoring taxation fairer.

Keep ReadingShow less
scotland-minimum-wages-iStock

Full-time workers on the National Living Wage will receive an annual pay increase of £1,400 in real terms. (Representational image: iStock)

iStock

Wage increase takes effect for thousands of workers in Scotland

HUNDREDS of thousands of workers in Scotland will see a pay increase as new National Living Wage and National Minimum Wage rates take effect from Tuesday.

The changes will benefit approximately 220,000 people, according to STV News.

Keep ReadingShow less
uk-energy-bill-iStock

Water bills, energy prices, and council tax are rising, while the minimum wage has also increased (Representational image: iStock)

iStock

April bill increases put financial strain on single parents

A RANGE of essential household bills are increasing from April, with Citizens Advice warning that single parents will be among the hardest hit.

Water bills, energy prices, and council tax are rising, while the minimum wage has also increased, BBC reported.

Keep ReadingShow less
Netflix drama Adolescence to be screened in UK schools
Stephen Graham and Owen Cooper in 'Adolescence'
Netflix

Netflix drama Adolescence to be screened in UK schools

THE NETFLIX drama Adolescence will be shown in UK secondary schools as part of efforts to address harmful online influences on young boys, officials announced on Monday.

The show has sparked debate over the impact of toxic and misogynistic content on the internet. Prime minister Keir Starmer met the show's creators, charities, and young people at Downing Street, calling the initiative an important step in starting discussions about the content teenagers are exposed to online.

Keep ReadingShow less