Skip to content
Search

Latest Stories

Pakistan's top judge rejects request for full court on pleas against military trials of civilians

Bandial made it clear that civilian citizens should not be subject to trials which are not in accordance with the Constitution

Pakistan's top judge rejects request for full court on pleas against military trials of civilians

PAKISTAN'S Chief Justice Umar Ata Bandial on Tuesday (18) rejected the government's request to constitute a full court bench to hear a set of pleas challenging the military trials of those involved in the May 9 violence targeted at military installations and government buildings.

A Supreme Court panel led by Chief Justice Bandial is hearing a set of petitions challenging the trial of those civilians in the military courts who were arrested following vandalism when former prime minister Imran Khan was arrested.

Bandial made it clear that civilian citizens should not be subject to trials which are not in accordance with the Constitution, the Express Tribune newspaper reported.

Emphasising on civilians having constitutional protection, he went said the military courts conduct summary trials, do not issue reasons in their judgments, and don't record evidence either; the courts are not open for the public.

Justice Bandial said civilians should not be subjected to undue harshness as he noted that military laws were very tough, and different from ordinary provisions. Nonetheless, he conceded that May 9 incidents were of a serious nature.

The remarks by the chief judge came a day after the government submitted its response in the Supreme Court regarding the trial of suspects in military courts under the Secret Services Act and the Pakistan Army Act.

Attorney general Mansoor Awan maintained that violence against military and vandalism of army installations was a direct attack on the national security of Pakistan, and was therefore prejudicial to security, interests and defence of the country.

The government also related the May 9 violence with terrorism incidents like involving Indian prisoner Kulbushan Jadhav, emphasising that recent events are enough evidence to establish the involvement of foreign powers in spreading instability in the country with an aim to weaken the armed forces of Pakistan and the country's national security.

The government called on the apex court to consider its justification and dismiss all petitions filed against military trials of civilians in connection with the May 9 rioting and vandalism.

So far 102 accused have been handed over to the military authorities for trial but their fate depends on the decision of the top court which is currently hearing the case.

(PTI)

More For You

Former police officer arrested in Rotherham investigation

Investigators believe the earlier offences happened between 1995 and 2002 (Photo for representation: iStock)

Former police officer arrested in Rotherham investigation

A FORMER police officer has been arrested in connection with the ongoing investigation into child sexual abuse in Rotherham, authorities revealed on Tuesday (1).

The former constable, who is in his 50s, was taken into custody on Monday (31). He is suspected of raping a teenage girl in the South Yorkshire town in 2004, according to officials.

Keep ReadingShow less
Modi Xi

Narendra Modi and Xi Jinping during their meeting in October 2024.

75 years of India-China relations: Modi, Xi call for stronger ties

INDIAN prime minister Narendra Modi and Chinese president Xi Jinping exchanged messages on Tuesday to mark the 75th anniversary of India-China diplomatic relations.

Modi stated that the development of bilateral ties contributes to global stability and a multipolar world, while Xi called for a "dragon-elephant tango" to strengthen cooperation between the two countries, China's state-run Xinhua news agency reported.

Keep ReadingShow less
Sri Lanka forms committee to address UK sanctions
Anura Kumara Dissanayake

Sri Lanka forms committee to address UK sanctions

THE Sri Lanka government on Wednesday (2) formed a committee to recommend measures regarding the UK's decision to impose sanctions on three former military commanders who led the campaign that crushed the Liberation Tigers of Tamil Eelam (LTTE) in 2009.

Health minister Nalinda Jayatissa told reporters that foreign minister Vijitha Herath, justice minister Harshana Nanayakkara and deputy minister of defence Aruna Jayasekara would comprise the committee that would consult experts for the purpose.

Keep ReadingShow less
Gujarat-blast-ANI

The blast caused the factory’s concrete roof to collapse, scattering debris and body parts across the area, officials confirmed. (Photo: ANI)

ANI

Death toll rises to 21 in Gujarat firework factory explosion

AN EXPLOSION at an illegal firecracker factory in Gujarat's Deesa town killed 21 people and injured several others on Tuesday, officials said.

The blast caused the factory’s concrete roof to collapse, scattering debris and body parts across the area, officials confirmed.

Keep ReadingShow less
Child benefit payments set to rise for UK families

Child benefit, normally paid every four weeks directly into bank accounts, has undergone significant changes in recent months (Photo: Getty Images)

Child benefit payments set to rise for UK families

MILLIONS of British families are set to receive a financial boost as child benefit payments increase from April 7, according to HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC).

From next week, parents will receive £26.05 per week for the eldest or only child, amounting to £1,354.60 annually - up from the current rate of £25.60. For each additional child, payments will rise to £17.25 weekly, totalling £897 per year - an increase from the present £16.95 rate. This represents a 1.7 per cent increase across all payment categories.

Keep ReadingShow less