Skip to content
Search

Latest Stories

PNB Scam: Mehul Choksi, Nirav Modi ask employees to explore other career options

Nirav Modi's uncle Mehul Choksi is asserting his innocence in the Punjab National Bank scam, and says he has done nothing wrong.

Choksi, owner of Gitanjali Gems, has been accused of being an accomplice in the Rs 11,300 crore PNB fraud and on Saturday he issued a statement to his employees saying that truth shall prevail.


"I will face my destiny and I know I have done nothing wrong and ultimately the truth shall prevail," Choksi said in the letter. He also expressed his helplessness with regard to clearing the dues of his 3,500 employees as investigative agencies have seized his assets.

"I am facing a lot of problems due to the manner in which the multiple investigative agencies/ government agencies have started to create a havoc, hell bent upon stopping the operations," he added, and asked his employees to begin scouting for alternate career options. He also asked his employees to return company issued laptops and mobile phones once their dues were cleared.

A few days back, Choksi's nephew Modi also issued a letter to his staff asking them to look for other career opportunities.

“As of now, because of seizure and removal of all stocks in factories and showrooms, and freezing of bank accounts, we shall not be in a position to pay your dues, and it would be right on your part to look for other career opportunities,” Modi said in his letter. He also said PNB's decision to file a complaint against him has left his organisation suffering.

“I am also concerned at the speed with which events are moving which make me concerned about the fairness of the processes that are being followed,” he added.

The PNB scam came to light early this month when the state-run bank lodged two financial fraud complaints of Rs 11400 crore and Rs 280 crore against Modi, Choksi and a few of their family members.

More For You

single-use vapes-iStock

Analysis by Material Focus estimates that 8.2 million vapes are discarded or littered each week in the UK—equivalent to 13 every second. (Representational image: iStock)

iStock

Shops told to clear single-use vapes before ban starts on June 1

SHOPS across the UK have until 1 June 2025 to sell off remaining stocks of single-use vapes before a nationwide ban comes into force.

The legislation, confirmed last year, follows a government consultation that showed strong support for restricting their sale and supply.

Keep ReadingShow less
Trump’s Promise: TikTok Deal Before April 5 to Avoid Ban

This is not the first time that TikTok has been under scrutiny in the United States

Getty

Trump promises TikTok deal before April 5 to prevent ban

As the clock ticks towards the April 5 deadline, the future of TikTok in the United States remains uncertain, with President Donald Trump promising that a deal to resolve the app's ongoing issues will be struck before the deadline. The central issue at hand is whether TikTok's parent company, ByteDance, will be forced to divest the popular social media platform or face a ban in the U.S.

In a statement made aboard Air Force One late on Sunday, Trump confirmed that there was "tremendous interest" from potential buyers looking to acquire TikTok. He expressed his desire for the platform to "remain alive" and emphasized that multiple buyers were keen on striking a deal, suggesting that a solution would be reached before the deadline.

Keep ReadingShow less
Primark-London-Getty

During his 15-year tenure, Marchant expanded Primark’s store network to more than 450 locations across 17 countries in Europe and the United States. (Photo: Reuters)

Primark chief Paul Marchant steps down after misconduct probe

PAUL MARCHANT, the head of fashion retailer Primark, has resigned with immediate effect after admitting to an "error of judgment" in his behaviour towards a woman in a social setting.

Associated British Foods (AB Foods), Primark's parent company, announced his resignation on Monday.

Keep ReadingShow less
Jaguar’s bold gamble: Can it woo young, wealthy drivers with a £123k EV?

Jaguar’s bold gamble: Can it woo young, wealthy drivers with a £123k EV?

JAGUAR’S ambition to seduce younger, richer drivers was on full display in Paris with a presentation of its newest prototype, the Type 00, which promises all-electric luxury... at a steep price.

The low-slung, muscular-looking concept car presented to European reporters last Friday (21) prefigures a production model expected mid-2026 at a base cost of €150,000 (£123,472.8).

Keep ReadingShow less
Starmer-Trump-Getty

Trump has suggested the possibility of a 'great' trade deal that could help the UK mitigate the impact of tariffs he has pledged to introduce. (Photo: Getty Images)

Starmer, Trump talk trade deal progress in 'productive' discussion

KEIR STARMER and Donald Trump spoke on Sunday about ongoing UK-US trade negotiations, with Downing Street describing the talks as "productive."

Since leaving the European Union, the UK has been working to secure a trade agreement with the United States. Successive British governments have pursued a deal, but it has remained elusive.

Keep ReadingShow less