Skip to content
Search

Latest Stories

Presenter cites salary ‘shock’ for BBC exit

Shah, 56, said she quit the BBC as she felt she had been at the “other end of the range� compared to the young people the national broadcaster was trying to attract

Presenter cites salary ‘shock’ for BBC exit

A VETERAN Asian presenter said she was being “vastly” underpaid compared to her colleagues at the BBC, and it was a key reason for her departure from the broadcaster.

Ritula Shah quit the BBC earlier this year, ending her 35-year association with the corporation where she presented popular shows such as The World Tonight, Woman’s Hour, World Today and Any Questions.


She now works for Classic FM where she presents Calm Classics on weekdays.

Shah, 56, said she quit the BBC as she felt she had been at the “other end of the range” compared to the young people the national broadcaster was trying to attract.

She told Roger Bolton’s Beeb Watch podcast last week: “It’s a really painful episode in my life and I still can’t quite get over it, even though it’s now behind me.”

In 2020, her colleague Samira Ahmed won an employment tribunal after claiming she had been underpaid by £700,000 for hosting the audience feedback show Newswatch, compared with Jere - my Vine’s salary for Points of View.

Shah said she discovered during the row she had been paid “vastly lower” than her colleagues. “I discovered during the course of the equal pay row that I was paid in the tens of thousands when all my colleagues were paid in the hundreds of thousands.

“I was paid vastly lower than my colleagues. We’re talking about colleagues who were presenters on the radio. We’re not talking about correspondents, we’re not talking about celebrities that appear on light entertainment programmes.

“If you bring television into it, it gets even worse,” Shah, who joined the BBC in 1988, said.

“I was really shocked. I went around asking everyone that I possibly could what they were paid, people who I thought would answer me. I couldn’t find a single person who was doing a comparable job to me, regularly presenting a news programme, who was paid less than I was.”

She said news journalists should not get into the profession to become rich.

“I really firmly believe if you work in news as a journalist, you don’t go into it for the money. You should be going into it because you want to make the world a better place.”

“I think that many of my colleagues are rather overpaid. It’s a privilege to do the job I used to do. I’m not quite sure why lots of us were paid as much as we were.

“There must have been more than 10 managers who saw what I earned and the fact no one chose to raise it as a concern among themselves... I really can’t explain it.”

However, Shah felt her bosses at the BBC were not being actively malicious.

“It’s a kind of benign neglect, it’s people not thinking things through. It’s such a big organisation, people don’t look at the bigger picture.

“I’m not sure that explains it or excuses it, I think it’s awful. It came home to roost in a horrific way.” Eastern Eye has contacted the BBC for a response to the story.

More For You

Sri Lanka forms committee to address UK sanctions
Anura Kumara Dissanayake

Sri Lanka forms committee to address UK sanctions

THE Sri Lanka government on Wednesday (2) formed a committee to recommend measures regarding the UK's decision to impose sanctions on three former military commanders who led the campaign that crushed the Liberation Tigers of Tamil Eelam (LTTE) in 2009.

Health minister Nalinda Jayatissa told reporters that foreign minister Vijitha Herath, justice minister Harshana Nanayakkara and deputy minister of defence Aruna Jayasekara would comprise the committee that would consult experts for the purpose.

Keep ReadingShow less
Gujarat-blast-ANI

The blast caused the factory’s concrete roof to collapse, scattering debris and body parts across the area, officials confirmed. (Photo: ANI)

ANI

Death toll rises to 21 in Gujarat firework factory explosion

AN EXPLOSION at an illegal firecracker factory in Gujarat's Deesa town killed 21 people and injured several others on Tuesday, officials said.

The blast caused the factory’s concrete roof to collapse, scattering debris and body parts across the area, officials confirmed.

Keep ReadingShow less
Child benefit payments set to rise for UK families

Child benefit, normally paid every four weeks directly into bank accounts, has undergone significant changes in recent months (Photo: Getty Images)

Child benefit payments set to rise for UK families

MILLIONS of British families are set to receive a financial boost as child benefit payments increase from April 7, according to HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC).

From next week, parents will receive £26.05 per week for the eldest or only child, amounting to £1,354.60 annually - up from the current rate of £25.60. For each additional child, payments will rise to £17.25 weekly, totalling £897 per year - an increase from the present £16.95 rate. This represents a 1.7 per cent increase across all payment categories.

Keep ReadingShow less
Anant Ambani Walks 140 Km in Spiritual Tribute on 30th Birthday

Anant’s padyatra is a reflection of the larger cultural fabric of India

Getty

Anant Ambani embarks on a 140-kilometer spiritual journey on foot to celebrate 30th birthday

Anant Ambani, a director of Reliance Industries Limited and a prominent figure in Indian industry, has chosen a unique and spiritual way to mark his 30th birthday. As part of his celebrations, he is currently undertaking a padyatra—a traditional pilgrimage on foot—from Jamnagar to Dwarka, covering a distance of approximately 140 kilometres. The journey reflects his devotion to Lord Dwarkadhish, the presiding deity of the Dwarkadhish Temple in the city of Dwarka.

Anant began his journey from his family’s residence in Moti Khavdi, Jamnagar, and has been progressing steadily for the past five days. Walking an estimated 10-12 kilometres each night, he travels under the protection of Z+ security and local police, ensuring his safety during this significant journey. The padyatra is expected to take between seven to nine days in total, with plans to conclude at the Dwarkadhish Temple in time for his birthday on April 10.

Keep ReadingShow less
New TB action plan proposed as cases surge

Government urged experts to come forward to help draw up a new five-year TB action plan. (Photo: Getty Images)

New TB action plan proposed as cases surge

BRITAIN on Wednesday (2) urged health experts and sufferers of tuberculosis (TB) to come forward to help draw up a new five-year action plan as it deals with record rises in the disease.

In 2023, England recorded its largest annual increase (11 per cent) in cases since enhanced surveillance began in 2000.

Keep ReadingShow less