Skip to content
Search

Latest Stories

Priti Patel seeks to scrap Theresa May's bail reforms

Priti Patel has proposed to reverse former prime minister Theresa May’s bail reforms, which led to violent and sexual offenders being released without restrictions.

The Home Secretary has sought to double or treble the length of pre-charge bail, which is currently limited to 28 days as per rules that May had put forward as home secretary and later implemented as prime minister.


“Since rule changes in 2017, there have been concerns that pre-charge bail is not always being used where appropriate to protect victims, investigations are taking longer to conclude, and that this has had adverse impacts on the courts,” she said.

Patel asserted that she was “committed to giving a voice to victims and providing the police with the support they need to protect the public from harm”.

“There are no quick fixes here,” she added. “The concerns raised in relation to the 2017 reforms are also due to several other complex factors. Improving the effectiveness of the bail system is only the first step on that journey…. Our aim is to have a system which protects victims, enables the police to investigate crimes effectively and respects the rights of individuals under investigation.”

The reforms were initiated to prevent suspects spending months caught in legal limbo, languishing on police bail.

One such notable case was of broadcaster Paul Gambaccini, who had been placed on police bail for a year as officers investigated allegations of sexual abuse, which were eventually dropped. He had claimed lost earnings and legal expenses of more than £200,000.

However, the police federation, victims’ groups and lawyers maintained that the reforms had backfired, as hundreds of suspects were being released without any restrictions, thus endangering victims and the public.

Figures obtained under Freedom of Information laws showed the number of suspected offenders released while under investigation had increased from 6,464 in 2016 to 97,473 last year. Those released included people accused of violence, sexual offences and domestic abuse.

Patel’s proposal included tougher scrutiny of people released through regular “reviews” and giving custody officers the authority to decide on the need for bail.

She stressed that her aim was to “ensure the needs of victims are put first and the police can investigate crimes effectively and swiftly”.

Adina Claire, acting co-CEO of the charity Women’s Aid, welcomed the move: “We’ve been calling to reverse the pre-charge bail reforms introduced in 2017, as these restrictions on the use of bail can leave survivors unprotected while they wait for their perpetrator to face justice.

“It is now essential that survivor voices are heard as part of this consultation, and reforms are swiftly put in place to protect their safety.”

The National Police Chiefs’ Council Lead for Bail Management, Chief Constable Darren Martland, said: “In the years since the bail legislation was amended, the police service has worked hard to implement the changes in the spirit they were introduced.

“What has become clear in that time is that a number of unintended consequences have followed, presenting fresh challenges for the police service and the wider criminal justice system.”

More For You

Sri Lanka forms committee to address UK sanctions
Anura Kumara Dissanayake

Sri Lanka forms committee to address UK sanctions

THE Sri Lanka government on Wednesday (2) formed a committee to recommend measures regarding the UK's decision to impose sanctions on three former military commanders who led the campaign that crushed the Liberation Tigers of Tamil Eelam (LTTE) in 2009.

Health minister Nalinda Jayatissa told reporters that foreign minister Vijitha Herath, justice minister Harshana Nanayakkara and deputy minister of defence Aruna Jayasekara would comprise the committee that would consult experts for the purpose.

Keep ReadingShow less
Gujarat-blast-ANI

The blast caused the factory’s concrete roof to collapse, scattering debris and body parts across the area, officials confirmed. (Photo: ANI)

ANI

Death toll rises to 21 in Gujarat firework factory explosion

AN EXPLOSION at an illegal firecracker factory in Gujarat's Deesa town killed 21 people and injured several others on Tuesday, officials said.

The blast caused the factory’s concrete roof to collapse, scattering debris and body parts across the area, officials confirmed.

Keep ReadingShow less
Child benefit payments set to rise for UK families

Child benefit, normally paid every four weeks directly into bank accounts, has undergone significant changes in recent months (Photo: Getty Images)

Child benefit payments set to rise for UK families

MILLIONS of British families are set to receive a financial boost as child benefit payments increase from April 7, according to HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC).

From next week, parents will receive £26.05 per week for the eldest or only child, amounting to £1,354.60 annually - up from the current rate of £25.60. For each additional child, payments will rise to £17.25 weekly, totalling £897 per year - an increase from the present £16.95 rate. This represents a 1.7 per cent increase across all payment categories.

Keep ReadingShow less
Anant Ambani Walks 140 Km in Spiritual Tribute on 30th Birthday

Anant’s padyatra is a reflection of the larger cultural fabric of India

Getty

Anant Ambani embarks on a 140-kilometer spiritual journey on foot to celebrate 30th birthday

Anant Ambani, a director of Reliance Industries Limited and a prominent figure in Indian industry, has chosen a unique and spiritual way to mark his 30th birthday. As part of his celebrations, he is currently undertaking a padyatra—a traditional pilgrimage on foot—from Jamnagar to Dwarka, covering a distance of approximately 140 kilometres. The journey reflects his devotion to Lord Dwarkadhish, the presiding deity of the Dwarkadhish Temple in the city of Dwarka.

Anant began his journey from his family’s residence in Moti Khavdi, Jamnagar, and has been progressing steadily for the past five days. Walking an estimated 10-12 kilometres each night, he travels under the protection of Z+ security and local police, ensuring his safety during this significant journey. The padyatra is expected to take between seven to nine days in total, with plans to conclude at the Dwarkadhish Temple in time for his birthday on April 10.

Keep ReadingShow less
New TB action plan proposed as cases surge

Government urged experts to come forward to help draw up a new five-year TB action plan. (Photo: Getty Images)

New TB action plan proposed as cases surge

BRITAIN on Wednesday (2) urged health experts and sufferers of tuberculosis (TB) to come forward to help draw up a new five-year action plan as it deals with record rises in the disease.

In 2023, England recorded its largest annual increase (11 per cent) in cases since enhanced surveillance began in 2000.

Keep ReadingShow less