Skip to content
Search

Latest Stories

Qatar bid for Manchester United awaiting clarity after reports of exclusivity offer

The current owners, the Glazer family, are understood to value United at £6 billion

Qatar bid for Manchester United awaiting clarity after reports of exclusivity offer

A source close to Sheikh Jassim Bin Hamad Al Thani said that the Qatari bidders were still awaiting clarity from Manchester United after a report suggested they could be offered exclusivity in the battle to buy the club.

United announced in November that the board was exploring "strategic alternatives to enhance the club's growth", with a full sale one of the options.


The current owners, the Glazer family, are understood to value United at £6 billion and the Raine Group was brought in to oversee the process.

Sheikh Jassim made a fifth and final bid for the club last week and it is understood that his offer is viewed more favourably by the owners than a rival bid from British billionaire Jim Ratcliffe.

A report on Thursday (15) suggested that, if exclusivity were granted to Sheikh Jassim, it would shut out the Ratcliffe bid for as long as the exclusivity period lasted.

But the source close to the bid said there were no official updates from Sheikh Jassim's side and no timetable for next steps.

The offer from the Qatari banker is to buy 100 percent of the club.

It has been reported that Ratcliffe wants to purchase a controlling stake that would allow the Glazers to remain involved, a move that would be deeply unpopular with supporters.

Trading in Manchester United shares on the New York Stock Exchange was temporarily paused due to "volatility," though shares resumed trading shortly afterwards, and were up 12 per cent on the day.

A new company, Nine Two UK Holdings Limited, was also incorporated in Britain on Thursday, understood to be part of Sheikh Jassim's preparations should his bid be successful.

The documents published on the Companies House website list Sheikh Jassim as an individual person with significant control of the company.

Companies House says all shares in the new UK company are owned by Nine Two Holdings LLC, which was registered in Qatar in April.

INEOS chemical company founder Ratcliffe appeared to be the front runner to win the race to buy United after a third round of bidding closed in late April.

The club ended a six-year trophy drought by winning the League Cup in February and finished third in the Premier League in Erik ten Hag's first season in charge.

The long ownership saga means there is an air of uncertainty over the future of the club as they prepare for the summer transfer window.

(AFP)

More For You

Indian and American investors delay Hundred deals: report

FILE PHOTO: The Oval Invincibles celebrate after The Hundred Final between Oval Invincibles and Southern Brave at Lord's Cricket Ground on August 18, 2024. (Photo: Getty Images)

Indian and American investors delay Hundred deals: report


THE England and Wales Cricket Board (ECB) has extended the deadline for finalising the £520 million sale of The Hundred franchises after pushback from several prospective owners, particularly the Indian and American investors behind the two London teams.

The eight-week exclusivity window agreed in February has passed without contracts being signed, with negotiations now expected to continue until at least the end of April. While all parties remain committed to completing the deals, several key issues remain unresolved, the Telegraph reported.

Keep ReadingShow less
Salman Khan

Salman Khan’s £32,000 Ram Temple edition watch sparks controversy as a Muslim cleric calls it ‘haram and illegal’

Getty Images

Salman Khan slammed by Muslim cleric for wearing £32,000 Ayodhya Ram temple watch, calls it 'haram'

Bollywood superstar Salman Khan has found himself at the centre of a religious controversy after wearing a limited edition watch featuring the Ram Janmabhoomi temple design. The accessory, which was noticed during the promotions of his upcoming film Sikandar, has drawn criticism from Maulana Shahabuddin Razvi, president of the All India Muslim Jamaat.

Maulana Razvi has expressed strong disapproval, stating that as a Muslim, Salman Khan should avoid symbols associated with other religions. He referred to the act as “haram” (forbidden) under Islamic law and urged the actor to be mindful of his influence, especially given his large Muslim fan following.

Keep ReadingShow less
India bids for 2030 Games
with eye on 2036 Olympics

Prime minister Narendra Modi (pictured centre with some of India’s 2024 hockey Olympians) has been keen to bring the 2036 Olympic Games to India.

India bids for 2030 Games with eye on 2036 Olympics

INDIA has officially submitted a bid to host the 2030 Commonwealth Games (CWG) in Ahmedabad, Gujarat, marking a major step in its broader ambition to stage the 2036 Olympic Games in the country.

The Indian Olympic Association (IOA) sent the ‘expression of interest’ (EOI) to the Commonwealth Games Federation (CGF) last week, ahead of next Monday’s (31) deadline, a senior sports ministry official said.

Keep ReadingShow less
Court reopens Asian child sex offender's deportation case

Home Office successfully challenged a ruling that allowed him to remain in Britain (Photo for representation: iStock)

Court reopens Asian child sex offender's deportation case

A PAKISTANI man convicted of sexually assaulting a child under 13 will face a fresh deportation hearing after the Home Office successfully challenged a ruling that allowed him to remain in Britain, reported The Times.

The offender, who cannot be named for legal reasons, had initially won his case to stay in the UK after claiming he would face "inhuman or degrading treatment" if sent back to Pakistan due to his alcoholism.

Keep ReadingShow less
India launches Operation Brahma to aid quake-hit Myanmar

Rescue teams work to save residents trapped under the rubble of the destroyed Sky Villa Condominium development in Mandalay on March 29, 2025. (Photo by SAI AUNG MAIN/AFP via Getty Images)

India launches Operation Brahma to aid quake-hit Myanmar

INDIA has swiftly responded to the devastating earthquake in Myanmar by launching Operation Brahma, sending emergency relief and rescue teams to the disaster-stricken nation.

A C-130J military transport aircraft of the Indian Air Force landed in Yangon on Saturday (29), carrying 15 tonnes of relief supplies including hygiene kits, blankets and food parcels. The aid mission comes after a powerful 7.7-magnitude earthquake struck Myanmar on Friday (28), killing more than 1,000 people and injuring nearly 2,400 others.

Keep ReadingShow less