Skip to content
Search

Latest Stories

Race to prevent coronavirus 'nightmare' in Rohingya camps

Emergency teams raced on Friday (15) to prevent a coronavirus "nightmare" in the world's largest refugee settlement after the first confirmed cases in a sprawling city of shacks housing nearly a million Rohingya.

There have long been warnings the virus could race like wildfire through the cramped, sometimes sewage-soaked alleys of the network of 34 camps in southeast Bangladesh.


Most of the refugees have been there since around 750,000 of the Muslim minority fled a 2017 military offensive in neighbouring Myanmar for which its government faces genocide charges at the UN's top court.

Local health coordinator Abu Toha Bhuiyan initially said on Thursday two refugees had tested positive. The World Health Organization (WHO) later said one case was a local man.

On Friday, another senior health official said two more Rohingya had tested positive -- a 42-year-old woman and a 30-year-old man.

It was unclear if they had been in contact with the first two cases.

Mahbubur Rahman, the chief health official in the local Cox's Bazar district, said news of the infections had sparked "panic" in the camps.

The 35-year-old Rohingya man, whose positive result was announced Thursday, lives in Kutupalong, the largest of the camps. He sparked a manhunt at one point after he fled before police found him around four hours later.

"We are worried. He can spread the disease in the camps," community leader Abdur Rahim told AFP.

Rahim said the man is believed to have been infected in a hospital in a nearby town where he took his injured brother for treatment.

WHO spokesman Catalin Bercaru told AFP that "rapid investigation teams" were being deployed.

Rahman, the health official, said an entire block in one camp, housing around 5,000 people, was shut off, and that all contacts of the men were being traced and would be brought to isolation centres.

"We have locked down the block, barring anyone from entering or leaving their homes," he said.

Rahman said they would ramp up coronavirus testing to "at least" 100 per day from just five to 10 at present.

Bercaru said that since February, the entire health sector had been "working round the clock" to increase capacity for testing, isolation and treatment, as well as to train health workers and talk to communities.

The UN refugee agency said that 12 severe respiratory infection treatment centres were being established locally, and that up to 1,900 intensive care beds, five quarantine centres, and 20 isolation facilities were planned.

Humanitarian groups would also help with visits by health workers to people inside the camps plus home deliveries of food and fuel.

"We call on additional international solidarity and support to ensure an adequate response for this particularly vulnerable population," a UNHCR statement said.

- 'Thousands may die' -

In early April authorities had locked down Cox's Bazar -- home to 3.4 million people including the refugees -- after a number of COVID-19 cases.

Bangladesh restricted traffic in and out of the camps and forced aid organisations to slash manpower by 80 percent.

The country of 168 million people is under lockdown and has seen a rapid rise in coronavirus cases in recent days, with almost 19,000 and 300 deaths as of Thursday.

Senior US official Sam Brownback, who has visited the refugees said it was inevitable the virus would reach the "incredibly crowded" camps and spread "very rapidly".

Daniel Sullivan from Refugees International called it the "realisation of a nightmare scenario".

Shamim Jahan at Save the Children said there was the "very real prospect that thousands of people may die", with "no intensive care beds" in the camps.

- No internet, many rumours -

Bangladesh has also been criticised for cutting the internet in the camps, which has restricted access to reliable information and spread false rumours.

"I have been calling on the Bangladeshi government to give internet access. It just seems to me ludicrous that they're not," Brownback told reporters in Washington.

With little prospect of being able to return to Myanmar -- where army operations persist in Rakhine state -- many of the refugees have in desperation tried to escape in rickety vessels.

Last month around 60 died in a boat stranded at sea for two months after being denied entry by Malaysia and Thailand because of coronavirus restrictions, survivors said.

More For You

Donald Trump

The latest tariffs are part of Trump’s broader effort to address what he claims are unfair trade practices

Getty

Trump pressures UK to accept chlorinated chicken for tariff relief

Britain is facing renewed pressure from the United States to lift its ban on chlorinated chicken as a condition for tariff relief, following the imposition of sweeping new trade barriers by Donald Trump’s administration. The US president has introduced a 10 per cent tariff on all British exports to the United States, with even steeper levies placed on imports from the European Union.

US tariffs and trade demands

The latest tariffs are part of Trump’s broader effort to address what he claims are unfair trade practices. The White House, in its announcement, criticised the UK’s “non-science-based standards” that restrict American agricultural imports, including poultry and beef. It argued that these trade policies act as non-tariff barriers that disadvantage US exporters.

Keep ReadingShow less
8 packaged foods recalled in UK in the last month

These food recalls show how important it is to check labels and stay updated on safety alerts

iStock

8 packaged foods recalled in UK in the last month

Food recalls in the UK are issued when products pose risks to consumers. These risks can range from contamination to allergen mislabelling, and staying informed about these recalls is crucial for consumer safety. Recent recalls emphasize the importance of vigilance when purchasing and consuming food items. If you’ve recently stocked up on groceries, it’s time to check your pantry and fridge to ensure none of the items listed below are affected.

1. Tony’s Chocolonely Chocolate Bars

On April 2, 2025, Tony’s Chocolonely recalled its Dark Almond Sea Salt & Everything Bar after discovering small stones in the product. The presence of foreign objects in food can pose serious risks, such as dental damage or choking hazards. The company has urged customers to return the affected items immediately to avoid potential harm. If you have recently purchased this product, check your packaging and return it to the store where it was bought for a full refund.

Keep ReadingShow less
Priyanka Chopra’s Skincare Secret for a Radiant Glow

A glimpse into the secret behind her flawless, dewy glow

Instagram/ priyankachopra

Priyanka Chopra shares her skincare secret for achieving the ultimate glow

Global icon Priyanka Chopra Jonas has once again mesmerized fans, not just with her undeniable star power but also with her radiant beauty and touching personal moments. The actress recently took to social media to unveil her simple yet effective skincare ritual, offering a glimpse into the secret behind her flawless, dewy glow.

A glow that speaks volumes

Priyanka’s skincare revelation came via her Instagram stories, where she showcased the results of her go-to beauty practice, a sheet mask. The actress shared snapshots flaunting her luminous complexion post-skincare, proving that sometimes, the simplest routines yield the most stunning results.

Keep ReadingShow less
Meghan Markle

Meghan remains optimistic about the future of her brand

Getty

Meghan Markle’s ‘As Ever’ products sell out in just 30 minutes, including £21.60 honey jars

Meghan Markle’s latest business venture, the As Ever lifestyle range, has made a remarkable debut, with products selling out in under 30 minutes. The highly anticipated collection, which features a selection of premium artisanal goods, has garnered immediate consumer interest and social media excitement.

Among the standout products was a jar of wildflower honey with honeycomb, priced at $28 (£21.60), which quickly disappeared from the online store. Other sought-after items included flower sprinkles at $15 (£11.60), raspberry jam at $14 (£10.80), and a selection of herbal teas and baking mixes, each ranging between $12 (£9.30) and $14 (£10.80). The rapid sell-out reflects Meghan’s growing influence in the lifestyle and wellness market.

Keep ReadingShow less
Kareena Kapoor

Striking appearance at the Vivienne Westwood show

Instagram/ kareenakapoorkhan

Kareena Kapoor dazzles in red at Vivienne Westwood show in Mumbai

Bollywood star Kareena Kapoor made a striking appearance at the Vivienne Westwood show in Mumbai on Tuesday evening, turning heads in a glamorous red ensemble. The event, held at the iconic Gateway of India, was a celebration of India’s rich textile heritage and featured an exclusive showcase of Vivienne Westwood’s Spring-Summer 2025 collection.

A show-stopping look

Kareena Kapoor, known for her impeccable fashion sense, was the cynosure of all eyes as she arrived in a stunning red gown featuring a thigh-high slit, corset bodice, and off-shoulder sleeves. Her outfit exuded elegance and sophistication, complemented by her gold-hued heels, which added a touch of glamour to her look.

Keep ReadingShow less