Skip to content
Search

Latest Stories

Raghuram Rajan is a serious contender for Bank of England top job

by Amit Roy

AFTER Mark Carney who is Canadian, will the next governor of the Bank of England (BoE) also be a foreigner?


Somehow, I don't think the chancellor of the exchequer, Philip Hammond, who will make the appointment, will take such a risk. And yet, the Financial Times (FT) reckons Raghuram Rajan, the 56-year-old former governor of the Reserve Bank of India who has returned to his previous life as a professor at the Booth Business School at Chicago University, is a serious contender.

So is Baroness Shriti Vadera, who served as a "no-nonsense" treasury minister under Gordon Brown and is currently chairman of Santander UK. The FT described the job as the most powerful appointed position in British public life" but it is also something of a poisoned chalice.

Every time Carney warned of the economic consequences of a hard Brexit, he was subjected to virulent abuse by Brextremists. For example, Tory MP Jacob Rees-Mogg called Carney a `second-tier Canadian politician" who "failed" to get a job at home.

Last weekend's The Big Read slot in the FT said that after having his term extended twice, 54-year-old Carney will definitely stand down at the end of January 2020: His replacement will be announced in October this year.

“If the bookies are any guide, Andrew Bailey, chief executive of the Financial Conduct Authority, is the favourite, but his odds are drifting out a little, while Raghuram Rajan, the urbane Chicago economics professor and former governor of the Reserve Bank of India, is running him a close second," the paper revealed.

This prompted an FT reader, Tim Young, to argue Rajan would be a better bet than Bailey: “The difference in character between Raghuram Rajan and Andrew Bailey is exemplified by their attitude to criticism of US central bank policy during pre-financial-crisis boom. Rajan was famously critical of the US boom, and by implication Federal Reserve policy, in a 2005 Jackson Hole speech, at a time when the boom was popular. Andrew Bailey, by contrast, where such concerns did exist inside the BoE, adhered to the convention that central banks do not criticise each other in public.

“If he wants a safe pair of hands who will try to steer the BoE clear of controversy, the chancellor might prefer Andrew Bailey. If the chancellor wants a more rigorous, questioning figure who might shake up the BoE groupthink, he might prefer Raghuram Rajan, especially if, at the time the decision needs to be made, it looks like the Tories might lose the next general election to labour, in which case, Rajan's spell at the Reserve Bank of India suggests that he might resist some of labour's more fanciful ideas of what the BoE can be mandated to achieve."

India's prime minister Narendra Modi may have done Rajan a favour by forcing him to resign before he could be considered for a second term heading the Reserve Bank of India.

The Guardian, which like the Daily Telegraph, also included Rajan and Vadera among the serious candidates to replace Carney, said Rajan's stint at the Reserve Bank of India had "added to his reputation as a credible, independent-minded economist".

Rajan has indicated he is happy where he is. If nothing, the current speculation will be good for his CV. Also, he has got a new book out - The Third Pillar: How Markets and the State Leave the Community Behind.

More For You

single-use vapes-iStock

Analysis by Material Focus estimates that 8.2 million vapes are discarded or littered each week in the UK—equivalent to 13 every second. (Representational image: iStock)

iStock

Shops told to clear single-use vapes before ban starts on June 1

SHOPS across the UK have until 1 June 2025 to sell off remaining stocks of single-use vapes before a nationwide ban comes into force.

The legislation, confirmed last year, follows a government consultation that showed strong support for restricting their sale and supply.

Keep ReadingShow less
Trump’s Promise: TikTok Deal Before April 5 to Avoid Ban

This is not the first time that TikTok has been under scrutiny in the United States

Getty

Trump promises TikTok deal before April 5 to prevent ban

As the clock ticks towards the April 5 deadline, the future of TikTok in the United States remains uncertain, with President Donald Trump promising that a deal to resolve the app's ongoing issues will be struck before the deadline. The central issue at hand is whether TikTok's parent company, ByteDance, will be forced to divest the popular social media platform or face a ban in the U.S.

In a statement made aboard Air Force One late on Sunday, Trump confirmed that there was "tremendous interest" from potential buyers looking to acquire TikTok. He expressed his desire for the platform to "remain alive" and emphasized that multiple buyers were keen on striking a deal, suggesting that a solution would be reached before the deadline.

Keep ReadingShow less
Primark-London-Getty

During his 15-year tenure, Marchant expanded Primark’s store network to more than 450 locations across 17 countries in Europe and the United States. (Photo: Reuters)

Primark chief Paul Marchant steps down after misconduct probe

PAUL MARCHANT, the head of fashion retailer Primark, has resigned with immediate effect after admitting to an "error of judgment" in his behaviour towards a woman in a social setting.

Associated British Foods (AB Foods), Primark's parent company, announced his resignation on Monday.

Keep ReadingShow less
Jaguar’s bold gamble: Can it woo young, wealthy drivers with a £123k EV?

Jaguar’s bold gamble: Can it woo young, wealthy drivers with a £123k EV?

JAGUAR’S ambition to seduce younger, richer drivers was on full display in Paris with a presentation of its newest prototype, the Type 00, which promises all-electric luxury... at a steep price.

The low-slung, muscular-looking concept car presented to European reporters last Friday (21) prefigures a production model expected mid-2026 at a base cost of €150,000 (£123,472.8).

Keep ReadingShow less
Starmer-Trump-Getty

Trump has suggested the possibility of a 'great' trade deal that could help the UK mitigate the impact of tariffs he has pledged to introduce. (Photo: Getty Images)

Starmer, Trump talk trade deal progress in 'productive' discussion

KEIR STARMER and Donald Trump spoke on Sunday about ongoing UK-US trade negotiations, with Downing Street describing the talks as "productive."

Since leaving the European Union, the UK has been working to secure a trade agreement with the United States. Successive British governments have pursued a deal, but it has remained elusive.

Keep ReadingShow less