Skip to content
Search

Latest Stories

Rahul Gandhi won't be disqualified as MP if conviction is suspended: Experts

Rahul Gandhi won't be disqualified as MP if conviction is suspended: Experts

Rahul Gandhi will not face disqualification as an MP if India’s Surat appellate court suspends his conviction and two-year jail term, legal experts have said.

Gandhi was on Thursday (23) found guilty of defamation over his 2019 campaign trail remark implying that prime minister Narendra Modi was a criminal.

The 52-year-old had asked why "all thieves have Modi as (their) common surname".  Gandhi’s comments were seen as a slur against the prime minister, who went on to win the election in a landslide.

Senior lawyer and constitutional law expert Rakesh Dwivedi referred to two Supreme Court’s judgments in 2013 and 2018, in the Lily Thomas and the Lok Prahari matters, respectively and said suspension of a sentence and a stay of conviction could circumvent disqualification as a lawmaker under the Representation of the People (RP) Act.

"The appellate court can suspend the conviction and the sentence and grant him bail. In that case there will be no disqualification," he said, adding, "However the politicians must choose their words carefully to avoid getting entangled with law."

The debate over possibilities of Gandhi being disqualified as an MP must take note of the legal position enumerated in the top court judgements and the relevant provisions of the Act, he said.

Sources said the secretariat of the Lok Sabha or the lower house of Parliament will take a call on whether there was a case for Gandhi's disqualification after examining the Surat court order and issue a notification, announcing vacancy in the house.

A former senior official of the Election Commission and an expert on electoral laws - who did not wish to be named - was of the view that to prevent being disqualified as a lawmaker, Gandhi also needs to get his conviction stayed.

"The position as per the Lily Thomas judgement, a conviction which carries a sentence of two years or more, will automatically result in disqualification. In a later judgment in the Lok Prahari case, the apex court said on appeal if the conviction is suspended, the disqualification will also remain suspended," he said.

Gandhi will have to also get a stay on conviction from a higher court too, the official said.

Former Lok Sabha secretary general and Constitution expert, PDT Achari, said the disqualification period begins as soon as the sentence is announced. He said Gandhi is free to appeal and if the appellate court stays the conviction and the sentence, then the disqualification will remain suspended.

The disqualification continues six years after the sentence is completed or served.

(PTI)

More For You

reeves-spring-statement

To prevent a budget deficit, Reeves has announced cuts to disability welfare payments and reductions in government departmental budgets, citing global economic uncertainty.

Government cuts growth forecast, announces public spending cuts

THE UK government reduced its 2025 growth forecast by half on Wednesday and announced spending cuts to manage public finances amid economic challenges.

The Spring Statement update comes as the Labour government, which won a landslide election in July, faces slow economic growth and rising borrowing costs.

Keep ReadingShow less
Slough Council writes off £382,000 in unpaid business rates

Two companies that owed the money had dissolved, while a third – which owed the largest amount – had gone into liquidation.

CRM

Slough Council writes off £382,000 in unpaid business rates

Nick Clark

AN ‘eyewatering’ £382,000 in unpaid business rates has been written off by Slough Borough Council with the agreement of council leaders – with one branding the sum ‘frightening’.

Leading councillors voted to approve the write off last Monday (17), after all attempts to collect the debt – owed by just three companies – had been ‘exhausted’. Councillor Wal Chahal, responsible for finance, said: “It’s an eyewatering number to be writing off, it’s just frightening.

Keep ReadingShow less
man-city-getty

Last year, Manchester City and Techno India Group launched the first Manchester City Football School in India, based in Kolkata. (Representational image: Getty)

Manchester City signs MoU to open sports school in Bengal: Mamata Banerjee

MAMATA BANERJEE, chief minister of the Indian state of West Bengal, has announced that Manchester City has signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) to establish a sports school in the state.

The Premier League club, which has won the league title for four consecutive seasons, is expanding its football education initiatives in the region.

Keep ReadingShow less
IMF Finalizes £1 Billion Loan Agreement for Pakistan

The IMF said in a statement on Tuesday that the 28-month agreement aims to support Pakistan’s efforts in tackling climate change. (Photo: Reuters)

REUTERS

IMF announces agreement on £1 bn loan deal for Pakistan

The International Monetary Fund (IMF) has reached an agreement with Pakistan on a new £1 billion loan programme and reviewed an existing bailout, which could unlock an additional £770 million if approved.

The IMF said in a statement on Tuesday that the 28-month agreement aims to support Pakistan’s efforts in tackling climate change.

Keep ReadingShow less