Skip to content
Search

Latest Stories

Reliance, Chevron defend US criticism of oil business with Venezuela

INDIA'S Reliance Industries and US-based Chevron Corp on Thursday (6) defended their business with Venezuela from White House criticism, noting that their marketing agreements and operations in the OPEC nation have been approved by Washington.

The White House imposed sanctions early last year on state-run oil company PDVSA as part of efforts to oust president Nicolas Maduro. The socialist president remains in power despite deep unpopularity and a years-long economic crisis.


Venezuelan exports declined sharply in early 2019, but have since ticked back up to roughly one million bpd, as several oil companies resumed marketing or buying the country's oil.

The White House has yet to enforce secondary sanctions announced in August aimed at non-US companies buying Venezuelan oil.

The White House on Wednesday (5) warned several oil companies, including Reliance, Russia's Rosneft, Spain's Repsol and Chevron, to tread cautiously in their activities in Venezuela, in an attempt to ramp up pressure on Maduro.

The suggestion of retaliation surprised those companies, according to executives from joint ventures with state-run PDVSA.

A Reliance spokesperson told that the refining firm is "in frequent communications with US government officials regarding Venezuela and continuously keep them apprised of our actions."

Maduro's re-election in 2018 was viewed as a sham by most Western Hemisphere nations. The White House on Wednesday hosted opposition leader Juan Guaido, whom Maduro refers to as a puppet of the US, even as dozens of nations recognize him as the rightful president.

On Thursday, Elliot Abrams, the top US envoy for Venezuela, declined to discuss Washington's conversations with Rosneft, but promised more sanctions overall. "We see that sanctions have had and are having significant impact and sanctions will increase," he said, without elaborating.

Abrams said Moscow may soon find that its support for Maduro "will no longer be cost-free."

Russia's Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov on Thursday criticized US sanctions policy in a press conference in Mexico City, adding that interference could make things worse in Venezuela.

"The US believes it is allowed to do anything and meanwhile threatens interlocutors with punishments and sanctions," Lavrov said.

Prior to sanctions, Venezuela exported roughly 1.5 million barrels of crude and processed fuels per day. The sanctions cut off Venezuela's top purchaser, the US.

The White House announced secondary sanctions in August targeting non-US companies buying Venezuelan oil, but its pressure campaign waned in the second half of 2019, and companies interpreted the announcement differently.

Reliance, among PDVSA's largest customers, in October resumed direct purchases of Venezuelan crude after a four-month pause, helping the state-run company reduce mounting inventories of unsold oil.

Reliance said at that time that it was supplying PDVSA with fuel permitted under sanctions in exchange for the Venezuelan oil.

Reliance's representative added that the company does not operate as an intermediary for sales of Venezuelan oil to third parties. "All Venezuelan crude sourced by Reliance is for processing in Reliance's refineries only."

Chevron resumed marketing of Venezuelan oil in October for the first time since sanctions were imposed, in tankers bound for Asian destinations, according to PDVSA records and Refinitiv Eikon vessel tracking data.

"We remain focused on our base business operations, in full compliance with all applicable laws and regulations," said Ray Fohr, a Chevron spokesman, adding that crude marketing is permitted under a license by the US Treasury to pay for expenses related to the maintenance of operations.

Chevron said that shipments of Venezuelan crude taken by the company represented about two per cent of the country's total exports in 2019. "If Chevron is forced to leave Venezuela, non-US companies will fill the void and oil production will continue," it added.

Repsol declined to comment. Rosneft and PDVSA did not immediately respond to requests for comment.

China's state-run CNPC suspended loadings of Venezuelan crude at PDVSA's ports last year. It has not resumed them after Washington pressured Chinese energy companies to halt trade with PDVSA.

The US administration has issued waivers for US service firms and some of PDVSA's joint venture partners to continue operating in the South American nation. The permits are not specific about trade transactions with Venezuelan oil.

(Reuters)

More For You

India jewellery

The US accounts for nearly £7.6 billion, or 30.4 per cent, of India’s annual gems and jewellery exports.(Photo: Reuters)

Reuters

India’s jewellery exports face decline as US tariffs hit

INDIA’s £24 billion gems and jewellery industry is preparing for a sharp decline in exports as the US imposes a 26 per cent tariff on Indian goods.

Industry officials said this would significantly affect sales to the US, India’s largest jewellery market.

Keep ReadingShow less
ronnie screwvala

Ronnie Screwvala’s rise to billionaire status is an inspiring story of vision

Getty

Ronnie Screwvala: From toothbrush seller to Bollywood's lone billionaire

The 2025 edition of the Forbes Billionaire List was released on Wednesday morning, showcasing the world's wealthiest individuals. The list features 3,028 billionaires globally, including 205 from India. Among these is Bollywood's only billionaire, Ronnie Screwvala, a media mogul whose journey from manufacturing toothbrushes to becoming a leading entrepreneur is nothing short of remarkable. With a net worth of $1.5 billion, Screwvala has surpassed the combined fortunes of Bollywood’s biggest stars, including Shah Rukh Khan, Salman Khan, and Aamir Khan.

Bollywood’s wealthiest man

Ronnie Screwvala stands as the richest person from the Hindi film industry, with a fortune exceeding that of its biggest icons. According to Forbes, his net worth of $1.5 billion surpasses the combined wealth of Shah Rukh Khan ($770 million), Salman Khan ($390 million), and Aamir Khan ($220 million), whose total stands at $1.38 billion. Additionally, he eclipses other notable figures such as Gulshan Kumar (approximately $900 million) and Aditya Chopra ($800 million). His financial success is a testament to his entrepreneurial acumen and strategic investments in both entertainment and education sectors.

Keep ReadingShow less
Donald Trump

Trump announced a series of tariff increases targeting various nations, including key US allies such as the UK and the European Union.

Getty Images

Trump’s tariffs hit global markets, Starmer warns of 'economic impact'

The UK and other global economies reacted on Thursday to US president Donald Trump's newly imposed tariffs, with prime minister Keir Starmer warning of an “economic impact” from the 10 per cent levy on British exports.

Trump announced a series of tariff increases targeting various nations, including key US allies such as the UK and the European Union.

Keep ReadingShow less
Airbus bets on Indian supply
base to scale up production

Guillaume Faury

Airbus bets on Indian supply base to scale up production

AIRCRAFT maker Airbus plans to significantly ramp up its annual sourcing of components and services from India to reach $2 billion (£1.54bn) by 2030, its CEO Guillaume Faury has said.

Describing India as one of the most important markets for Airbus in terms of growth, Faury said the challenge for the aircraft maker is to support the speed of the growth of the aviation industry in India.

Keep ReadingShow less
nintendo switch 2

The new console aims to build upon the success of its predecessor while introducing fresh innovations

Getty

Nintendo unveils Switch 2 - A new era for hybrid gaming begins

After months of speculation and cryptic teaser campaigns, Nintendo has officially announced the highly anticipated successor to its bestselling hybrid console. The Nintendo Switch 2 is set to launch on 5 June, with a price tag of £395.99 for the base package and £429.99 for a bundle including Mario Kart World. With a range of hardware improvements, redesigned controllers, and an exciting lineup of games, the new console aims to build upon the success of its predecessor while introducing fresh innovations.

A Bigger, Sharper Display and 4K Support

One of the most noticeable upgrades in the Nintendo Switch 2 is its display. The console now features a larger 7.9-inch screen, boasting twice the pixel count of the original Switch and supporting full 1080p resolution. Additionally, the display is capable of up to 120 frames per second, ensuring smoother animations, while high dynamic range (HDR) enhances colour contrast for a richer visual experience. Despite these improvements, the Switch 2 maintains the same thickness as the original model, preserving its signature portable form factor.

Keep ReadingShow less