Skip to content
Search

Latest Stories

Rochdale man jailed for sexual assault fights deportation to Pakistan over his human rights 

Rochdale man jailed for sexual assault fights deportation to Pakistan over his human rights 

A MAN convicted of child sexual assault said his human rights will be under threat if he is deported to Pakistan as he had "not committed that big a crime".

Adil Khan, 51, a member of the Rochdale child sex abuse ring, told an immigration tribunal hearing on Tuesday (8) that he renounced his Pakistani citizenship in September 2018 and said he would be “stateless” if he was deported to that country.


Khan and Qari Abdul Rauf, 52 were among four of a gang whose members had dual UK-Pakistani citizenship and could therefore be stripped of their citizenship and deported.

Then home secretary Theresa May ruled it would be “conducive to the public good” to deprive the four of the right to remain in the UK.

Khan, Rauf and a third man, Abdul Aziz, fought and lost a long legal battle against the deprivation order, losing a final Court of Appeal ruling in 2018.

Khan’s reasons for appealing his deportation came on the grounds of his right to a private and family life under the European Convention on Human Rights.

At Tuesday’s hearing, Khan said, “The journalists have made our lives a living hell. We are not that big a criminal. We have not committed that big a crime. I'm innocent.”

Khan, Rauf and two others were among nine men convicted of sex offences against girls in 2012. Police said as many as 47 girls were sexually assaulted.

The failure to deport any of the four, almost a decade after their convictions, has led to anger in Rochdale, where some of the abused girls continue to live alongside their abusers, media reports said.

Girl A, the main victim of the child sex abuse, who is now 28 told The Sun, “We were told they would be kicked out of the country.

“Knowing that had been done would have been a huge help for all of us in trying to rebuild our lives. But instead we're still haunted by the paedophiles who raped and trafficked us. Every day we run the risk of bumping into them.”

Former police officer Maggie Oliver, 65, who quit the Greater Manchester Police over its lack of action over the scandal, said the sight of Rauf 'made her blood boil'.

“The victims have been treated disgracefully and he is carrying on as if he's done nothing wrong. The public and the victims see the criminal justice system failing them. Sadly, it does not surprise me he hasn't been deported,” The Daily Mail quoted Oliver as saying.

Khan was sentenced to eight years in 2012 on the charges of getting a 13-year-old girl pregnant and trafficking another 15-year-old girl to others. Four years later he was released on licence.

Rauf was jailed for six years for trafficking a 15-year-old girl for sex. He was released in November 2014 after serving two years and six months of his sentence.

A further deportation hearing involving both Khan and Rauf is scheduled for July 1.

More For You

China pledges to be a good friend and partner to Bangladesh

Xi Jinping

China pledges to be a good friend and partner to Bangladesh

THE Chinese president, Xi Jinping, last Friday (28) pledged deeper cooperation with his Bangladeshi counterpart Muhammad Yunus in a meeting that came as Dhaka seeks new friends to offset frosty ties with India.

Yunus took charge of Bangladesh last August after the toppling of former prime minister Sheikh Hasina, who fled to New Delhi after a student-led uprising.

Keep ReadingShow less
Milton-Keynes

Eyewitnesses described hearing shouting before the shooting

iStock

Man shot dead by police outside Milton Keynes railway station

A MAN was shot dead by police outside Milton Keynes Central station after reports that he was carrying a firearm.

Thames Valley Police (TVP) said officers were called to the station at 12:55, where they challenged a suspect carrying a knife. The man moved towards officers before police fired at him.

Keep ReadingShow less
EXCLUSIVE: Eastern Eye wins press freedoms to help judges

SCRUTINY: The tribunal’s favourable verdict is an important win for accountability, say current and retired Asian judges (Pic credit: Getty Images/Leon Neal)

EXCLUSIVE: Eastern Eye wins press freedoms to help judges

A tribunal has ordered the body which appoints judges in England and Wales to disclose records it refused to give to Eastern Eye.

The decision is a major victory for press freedoms because it forces the Judicial Appointments Commission (JAC) to become more open and transparent.

Keep ReadingShow less
Sunita-Williams-Reuters

Sunita Williams was part of the SpaceX Crew-9 mission and had been stranded in space for over nine months. (Photo: Reuters)

Reuters)

India looks amazing from space, says Sunita Williams

NASA astronaut Sunita Williams described India as "amazing" from space and expressed her intention to visit her "father's home country" to share her experiences on space exploration.

Speaking at a press conference on Monday, she responded to a question about how India appeared from space and the possibility of collaboration with the Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO).

Keep ReadingShow less
british-muslims-iStock

The study noted that this identification was not due to any doctrinal obligation but was influenced by the perception that many Muslims do not feel fully accepted as British. (Representational image: iStock)

iStock

Majority of British Muslims identify by faith first, study finds

A STUDY by the Institute for the Impact of Faith in Life (IIFL) has found that most British Muslims identify primarily with their religion rather than their nationality.

The research, based on a survey of 815 British Muslim adults by Whitestone Insight, revealed that 71 per cent of respondents identified as Muslim first, while 27 per cent identified as British, English, or Scottish first.

Keep ReadingShow less