Skip to content
Search

Latest Stories

Rohit Shetty says bollywood box office slump is just a phase

Shetty discusses the cyclical nature of the industry and anticipates Singham Again to uplift audiences with its star-studded cast and engaging storyline

Rohit Shetty says bollywood box office slump is just a phase

Bollywood movies not doing well at the box office this year is just a phase and one should focus on films that have been successful, says filmmaker Rohit Shetty, as he hopes his much-awaited Singham Again makes viewers happy.

Other than small and mid-budget movies like Kiran Rao-directed Laapataa Ladies, Dinesh Vijan’s home production, Munjya, Kareena Kapoor Khan and Tabu-starrer Crew, Ajay Devgn’s Shaitaan, and Rajkummar Rao's Srikanth, the first half of the year has been dismal for the Hindi film industry with the failure of Bade Miyan Chote Miyan, Maidaan, and Yodha.


But Shetty, known for making big-budget, star-studded blockbusters, is not worried.

"It's a phase which comes every five to six years, where a year or two goes bad business-wise. Like, we have had Pathaan, Jawan, Gadar 2, and Oh My God 2, so it's like missing time syndrome. So, we focus on that, we don't look at films that did well," the filmmaker told PTI in an interview.

"For instance, Gadar 2, it's not like they did business of Rs 100 or 200 crore (£9.27 or 18.54 million), it did Rs 500-600 crore plus business. We need to focus on the good part. It happens, you’ve phases. It’s a cycle.”

Following the commercial success of films like “Pathaan,” “Jawan,” and “Gadar 2” last year, many thought the action genre was going to be the flavour of the season but Shetty said such assumptions are wrong.

“We come to a conclusion very soon that only action will work or comedy will not work. Films have to be taken individually, irrespective of the genre. We don’t know which film will work, which won’t and that’s a fact of life,” he said.

The 50-year-old director is optimistic about Singham Again, his next directorial venture with frequent collaborator Ajay Devgn, which opens in theatres on November 1 on the occasion of Diwali.

"It is a big responsibility. I hope when it comes, it will make everyone happy like how Sooryavanshi opened in theatres after Covid-19. I hope this one also makes everyone happy. If that is done, then my job is done,” Shetty added.

The upcoming action film is the third in the Singham series, which started with 2011’s Singham and was followed by Singham Returns in 2014. These movies are tied with the storylines of Sooryavanshi, led by Akshay Kumar and Simmba, starring Ranveer Singh.

Shetty, however, is wary of comparisons between his cop universe and the Avengers movies.

"I can't compare Singham Again with Avengers. They are too big. Ours is a cop universe, we’ve Ajay, Akshay, Ranveer, and Kareena, and then there are new characters this time. We are trying to work in our world and the way it is shaping up, I think people will get what they want from Singham Again.”

The idea, he said, is to create content that appeals to a wide segment of the audience.

"You need to up your game every time because there's a lot of exposure that the audience has, so you need to be on that level. We've to be on that level,” he said.

In Singham Again, Devgn will reprise his fan-favourite cop character of Bajirao Singham, and Arjun Kapoor will be seen as the antagonist. Kareena Kapoor Khan, who played Devgn’s love interest in the second part, will be seen in the third part.

Singham Again is the fifth part in Shetty’s cinematic cop universe, which includes Ranveer Singh’s Simmba (2018) and Akshay Kumar’s Sooryavanshi (2021).

The upcoming film also boasts star-studded appearances including Ranveer Singh, Akshay Kumar, Tiger Shroff, and Deepika Padukone.

Shetty, who recently wrapped the shooting of Singham Again, said CGI in stunts is increasingly becoming an industry standard.

“It depends on what kind of action it is, if it's hand-to-hand combat then CGI is not for me, I try to keep it real. Other than that, all the stunts that we do...CGI is very important because it's safe, easier and it's costlier also. But that's the new thing and you can't be left behind.”

Shetty is returning as the host of Khatron Ke Khiladi season 14 on Colors TV from July 27. (PTI)

More For You

Saif Ali Khan’s ‘Jewel Thief: The Heist Begins’ Poster Unveiled

Saif Ali Khan, Jaideep Ahlawat, and the ensemble cast shine in the poster of Jewel Thief: The Heist

Instagram/netflix_in

Saif Ali Khan’s latest Netflix film ‘Jewel Thief: The Heist Begins’ drops an intriguing new poster

Netflix released a new poster for Jewel Thief: The Heist Begins, and it’s already got fans talking. The image shows Saif Ali Khan with a sharp, focused gaze, his eye cleverly framed by the silhouette of a diamond, hinting at the high-stakes heist at the heart of the film.

Slated for release on April 25, the movie follows a skilled thief hired by a crime boss to steal the legendary African Red Sun diamond. But as expected, things don’t go as planned. The teaser, dropped earlier this year, showed us a tense partnership between Saif and Jaideep Ahlawat, with twists, betrayals, and plenty of action in store.

Keep ReadingShow less
Empuraan Storm: Success, Censorship Debate & Political Attacks

Prithviraj Sukumaran and Mohanlal at a press meet for L2: Empuraan

Instagram/empuraanmovie

L2: Empuraan - A film that shattered records and sparked a political storm

Few films manage to be both a record-breaking success and a lightning rod for controversy at the same time. But L2: Empuraan, the much-hyped sequel to Lucifer, has done exactly that. The Prithviraj Sukumaran directorial, starring Mohanlal, has not only rewritten and shattered box office history but also sparked a nationwide debate on censorship, political narratives, and artistic freedom.

On one hand, it’s the fastest Malayalam film to gross £5.1 million (₹50 crore) in Kerala, the first Malayalam film to cross £10.2 million (₹100 crore) overseas, and a £20.4 million (₹200 crore) club entrant within just five days. On the other hand, it has been accused of pushing a political agenda, leading to 2m 8s, 24 last-minute cuts, a legal battle, and a full-blown culture war.

Keep ReadingShow less
Hayley Atwell Reveals Tom Cruise’s Advice on Social Anxiety

Atwell explained that Cruise’s advice helped her focus on identifying the sources of her anxiety

Getty

Mission Impossible star Hayley Atwell reveals Tom Cruise's advice to overcome social anxiety

Hayley Atwell has opened up about the helpful advice Tom Cruise gave her on how to cope with social anxiety, a topic that resonates with many, including those working in the intense world of Hollywood. Atwell, known for her role as Peggy Carter in Marvel films and for starring alongside Cruise in Mission: Impossible – Dead Reckoning (2023), revealed how Cruise's wisdom has helped her deal with nervousness in large social gatherings, something she’s not immune to despite her prominent career.

As Atwell prepares to reprise her role in what is expected to be the last chapter of the Mission: Impossible series, The Final Reckoning, due for release in May, her reflections on social anxiety offer an insightful perspective on how even the most successful stars experience self-doubt. She recently discussed this on the Reign with Josh Smith podcast, explaining how she often battles the feelings that come with being in a room full of people.

Keep ReadingShow less
Sam Mendes Unveils Cast for Beatles Biopic Four-Film Event in 2028

The Beatles - A Four-Film Cinematic Event, directed by Sam Mendes

Instagram/Sonypictures

Paul Mescal, Barry Keoghan & more: Sam Mendes’ Beatles Biopics' cast revealed for the epic four-film event in 2028

Hollywood is about to take us on a journey like never before through the lives of ‘The Beatles,’ one member at a time! Director Sam Mendes, known for films like 1917 and Skyfall, has revealed the actors who’ll step into the shoes of John, Paul, George, and Ringo in four separate biopics, all hitting theatres in April 2028.

Harris Dickinson will play John Lennon, Paul Mescal takes on Paul McCartney, Barry Keoghan becomes Ringo Starr, and Joseph Quinn transforms into George Harrison. The announcement came at CinemaCon in Las Vegas, where Mendes and the cast surprised the crowd. Instead of cramming the band’s epic story into one movie or stretching it into a series, Mendes chose a different approach: four interconnected films, each diving deep into a different Beatle’s life.

Keep ReadingShow less