Skip to content
Search

Latest Stories

Rooney Anand’s firm receives £200m funding from Oaktree

Rooney Anand’s firm receives £200m funding from Oaktree

FORMER Greene King chief executive Rooney Anand's new venture has received funding from Oaktree, one of the world’s biggest investment firms.

Oaktree is injecting £200m into RedCat Pub Company to capitalise on increased leisure spending once lockdown restrictions are eased and a surge in staycations, reported The Telegraph.


The pub sector ranks among the hardest hit in the UK by coronavirus with rolling lockdowns taking operators to the brink of collapse.

RedCat will look at buying either individual businesses or operators outright. It will target pubs in the south and east of England with a further £300m in debt funding expected to be raised.

“There is no set playbook. I am not trying to recreate Greene King. I see myself as someone who's investing in a sector that has been oversold, where people have taken cover and written it off and have been too quick to say: ‘It's not going to recover'," Anand told The Telegraph.

“I’ve always been a strong believer in the great British pub. It has survived the Blitz, the Great Plague and the credit crunch - always bouncing back and taking its rightful place at the heart of the community. There will always be a market for a decent pub.”

Famed for its distressed investments, Oaktree has grown into one of the world’s most prominent asset managers. Its UK investments include gym group FitnessFirst and estate agent Countrywide.

Anand was the chief executive of Greene King between 2005 and 2019. He steered the firm to safety after being hit by the smoking ban and the financial crisis.

Oaktree is a global asset management firm specialising in alternative investment strategies. It is the largest distressed securities investor and one of the largest credit investors in the world.

More For You

‘All options on the table’ as Britain
prepares for likelihood of US tariffs

Sir Keir Starmer with Jonathan Reynolds

‘All options on the table’ as Britain prepares for likelihood of US tariffs

BRITAIN is likely to be hit by US tariffs despite making “rapid progress” over a trade deal with Washington, prime minister Sir Keir Starmer said on Tuesday (1).

He spoke as US trading partners around the world braced for an expected fresh raft of tariffs from president Donald Trump, in addition to levies already imposed on steel and those set to take effect this week on cars.

Keep ReadingShow less
single-use vapes-iStock

Analysis by Material Focus estimates that 8.2 million vapes are discarded or littered each week in the UK—equivalent to 13 every second. (Representational image: iStock)

iStock

Shops told to clear single-use vapes before ban starts on June 1

SHOPS across the UK have until 1 June 2025 to sell off remaining stocks of single-use vapes before a nationwide ban comes into force.

The legislation, confirmed last year, follows a government consultation that showed strong support for restricting their sale and supply.

Keep ReadingShow less
Primark-London-Getty

During his 15-year tenure, Marchant expanded Primark’s store network to more than 450 locations across 17 countries in Europe and the United States. (Photo: Reuters)

Primark chief Paul Marchant steps down after misconduct probe

PAUL MARCHANT, the head of fashion retailer Primark, has resigned with immediate effect after admitting to an "error of judgment" in his behaviour towards a woman in a social setting.

Associated British Foods (AB Foods), Primark's parent company, announced his resignation on Monday.

Keep ReadingShow less
Jaguar’s bold gamble: Can it woo young, wealthy drivers with a £123k EV?

Jaguar’s bold gamble: Can it woo young, wealthy drivers with a £123k EV?

JAGUAR’S ambition to seduce younger, richer drivers was on full display in Paris with a presentation of its newest prototype, the Type 00, which promises all-electric luxury... at a steep price.

The low-slung, muscular-looking concept car presented to European reporters last Friday (21) prefigures a production model expected mid-2026 at a base cost of €150,000 (£123,472.8).

Keep ReadingShow less
Starmer-Trump-Getty

Trump has suggested the possibility of a 'great' trade deal that could help the UK mitigate the impact of tariffs he has pledged to introduce. (Photo: Getty Images)

Starmer, Trump talk trade deal progress in 'productive' discussion

KEIR STARMER and Donald Trump spoke on Sunday about ongoing UK-US trade negotiations, with Downing Street describing the talks as "productive."

Since leaving the European Union, the UK has been working to secure a trade agreement with the United States. Successive British governments have pursued a deal, but it has remained elusive.

Keep ReadingShow less