Skip to content
Search

Latest Stories

Royal guest among 12 more cleared in Post Office Horizon scandal

Royal guest among 12 more cleared in Post Office Horizon scandal

COURT of APPEAL on Monday (19) cleared 12 more former subpostmasters who were wrongly convicted under the Post Office Horizon scandal, among whom is also the former worker, who was widely covered in media at the time of conviction as he was a guest at the royal wedding of the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge in 2011.

Hasmukh Shingadia, 62, of Upper Bucklebury, West Berkshire said he was “on top of the world” after hearing the court’s quashing of his conviction. He was wrongly convicted of stealing £16,000 and was given an eight-month suspended prison sentence in 2011 as part of a Post Office crackdown on the alleged theft.


Shingadia’s case was subjected to widespread media coverage at the time, given it came just months after he had been Kate Middleton’s guest at her royal wedding. Having run a post office and shop in Upper Bucklebury, close to where Middleton lived, Shingadia had become friends with her family.

“I was in all the newspapers as the royal wedding guest who was a thief and a fraudster,” said Shingadia, adding that the Court of Appeal decision was “massive for me and my family”.

“Being a guest at the wedding meant the press focused on my case in court. When I got the call from my lawyers to say the Post Office wasn’t contesting my appeal, I felt on top of the world. Of course, I’ve known I was innocent all along, but for the past decade the legal system has labelled me a criminal, as it has so many others, and that is disgusting,” Times quoted Shingadia in a report.

According to Shingadia’s legal team, just like other accused subpostmasters, he too was coerced to plead guilty as the Horizon system was portrayed as being flawless.

Shingadia also repaid the shortfall to the Post Office and his eight-month prison sentence was suspended for two years. He was ordered to carry out 180 hours of community service.

The recent quashed convictions of 12 former subpostmasters, also included three who served time in prison. The subpostmasters had been convicted in the past on the basis of data from a computer accounting system called Horizon, which showed unexplained shortfalls at branches across the country. The Post Office used its private prosecution powers over 15 years to convict hundreds of subpostmasters.

After it emerged that the technology designed by the Japanese company Fujitsu was faulty, Post Office officials ultimately abandoned the system. 

The decision comes three months after the Court of Appeal quashed fraud and false accounting convictions for 39 others in April.

The cases were referred by the Criminal Cases Review Commission, the watchdog that investigates miscarriage of justice claims in England and Wales. At the time, lawyers representing the subpostmasters forecasted that hundreds of other convictions were likely to be overturned.

Yesterday’s hearing brought the number of people to have successfully appealed against their convictions to 57.

More For You

China pledges to be a good friend and partner to Bangladesh

Xi Jinping

China pledges to be a good friend and partner to Bangladesh

THE Chinese president, Xi Jinping, last Friday (28) pledged deeper cooperation with his Bangladeshi counterpart Muhammad Yunus in a meeting that came as Dhaka seeks new friends to offset frosty ties with India.

Yunus took charge of Bangladesh last August after the toppling of former prime minister Sheikh Hasina, who fled to New Delhi after a student-led uprising.

Keep ReadingShow less
Milton-Keynes

Eyewitnesses described hearing shouting before the shooting

iStock

Man shot dead by police outside Milton Keynes railway station

A MAN was shot dead by police outside Milton Keynes Central station after reports that he was carrying a firearm.

Thames Valley Police (TVP) said officers were called to the station at 12:55, where they challenged a suspect carrying a knife. The man moved towards officers before police fired at him.

Keep ReadingShow less
EXCLUSIVE: Eastern Eye wins press freedoms to help judges

SCRUTINY: The tribunal’s favourable verdict is an important win for accountability, say current and retired Asian judges (Pic credit: Getty Images/Leon Neal)

EXCLUSIVE: Eastern Eye wins press freedoms to help judges

A tribunal has ordered the body which appoints judges in England and Wales to disclose records it refused to give to Eastern Eye.

The decision is a major victory for press freedoms because it forces the Judicial Appointments Commission (JAC) to become more open and transparent.

Keep ReadingShow less
Sunita-Williams-Reuters

Sunita Williams was part of the SpaceX Crew-9 mission and had been stranded in space for over nine months. (Photo: Reuters)

Reuters)

India looks amazing from space, says Sunita Williams

NASA astronaut Sunita Williams described India as "amazing" from space and expressed her intention to visit her "father's home country" to share her experiences on space exploration.

Speaking at a press conference on Monday, she responded to a question about how India appeared from space and the possibility of collaboration with the Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO).

Keep ReadingShow less
british-muslims-iStock

The study noted that this identification was not due to any doctrinal obligation but was influenced by the perception that many Muslims do not feel fully accepted as British. (Representational image: iStock)

iStock

Majority of British Muslims identify by faith first, study finds

A STUDY by the Institute for the Impact of Faith in Life (IIFL) has found that most British Muslims identify primarily with their religion rather than their nationality.

The research, based on a survey of 815 British Muslim adults by Whitestone Insight, revealed that 71 per cent of respondents identified as Muslim first, while 27 per cent identified as British, English, or Scottish first.

Keep ReadingShow less