Skip to content
Search

Latest Stories

Rwanda asylum plan: Ministers warned over ‘torture and killings’ in the African nation

The first Rwanda flight was grounded in June.

Rwanda asylum plan: Ministers warned over ‘torture and killings’ in the African nation

UK High Court heard that Foreign Office officials have tried to block the Rwanda asylum plan over alleged 'torture and killings' in the African nation, media reports said.

A government adviser raised concerns about Rwanda's human rights record weeks before the British government tried to send asylum seekers to the country, The Telegraph reported.


The first flight was blocked by European court judges following a successful human rights challenge. The latest data revealed that more than 20,000 people have crossed the channel so far this year, with more than 14,500 arriving since the Rwanda policy was launched.

Migrants identified for the aborted flight to Rwanda and major UK media organisations are now fighting a legal battle to make the adviser’s note public.

On Tuesday (16), the government asked the High Court to rule that the case should not include 11 specific comments about Rwanda from an unnamed Foreign Office official, who was an African affairs expert, according to reports.

In an email to colleagues on April 26, the reviewer raised concerns about the accuracy of the report regarding the situation in the country.

"There are state control, security, surveillance structures from the national level down... political opposition is not tolerated and arbitrary detention, torture and even killings are accepted methods of enforcing control too," the official wrote.

The first Rwanda flight was grounded in June after the European Court of Human Rights said the High Court in London must first fully examine whether the policy is lawful. A hearing is scheduled for September.

"The sensitivity of this policy cannot be understated. The public needs to understand the material that was available to the [Government] at the time the decisions under challenge were taken, the evidence that is said to weigh against, as well as to justify, this flagship policy, and the reasons why the [Government] decided to proceed," Jude Bunting QC, appearing for the media organisations, was quoted as saying in the High Court.

Meanwhile, on behalf of the government, Neil Sheldon QC told the court that those documents should not be disclosed as there would be a 'potential of very significant harm' to international relations and national security.

Last month, the High Court heard that Whitehall officials had initially excluded Rwanda on human rights grounds from the list of potential partners for asylum transfers.

The opposition Labour Party accused the government of attempting to conceal the truth from the public as the Home Office overruled the adviser's warning.

A verdict regarding the disclosure of the material is expected in the coming days.

A government spokesperson, however, claimed that Rwanda is a safe and secure country with a track record of supporting asylum seekers.

“We remain committed to delivering this policy to break the business model of criminal gangs and save lives," the spokesperson added.

More For You

Voices of Faith - Day 2: A profound confluence of spirituality, music, and dialogue

Barnaby Rogerson in conversation with Anthony Sattin (L) on day 2 of Voices of Faith

Voices of Faith - Day 2: A profound confluence of spirituality, music, and dialogue

Mahesh Liloriya

The second day of Voices of Faith unfolded with an enchanting blend of music, philosophy, and intellectual exploration at the Barbican Centre, London. This inaugural festival, curated by Teamwork Arts—the force behind the Jaipur Literature Festival (JLF) and JLF London—has been made possible by the Kamini and Vindi Banga Family Trust, with the support of Tech Mahindra. Eastern Eye and Garavi Gujarat serve as the official media partners, amplifying the festival’s reach and resonance.

Session 1- Echoes of eternity: The timeless notes of Kabir

Keep ReadingShow less
starmer-immigration

Speaking at the Organised Immigration Crime Summit, Starmer said the government is working to restore order to the immigration system.

UK returns 24,000 illegal migrants since July, highest in eight years

THE UK government has returned over 24,000 individuals with no legal right to remain in the country since July, marking the highest rate of removals in eight years, prime minister Keir Starmer said on Monday.

Speaking at the Organised Immigration Crime Summit, Starmer said the government is working to restore order to the immigration system.

Keep ReadingShow less
'Aga Khan dedicated his life to service, peace, and pluralism'

Baroness Patricia Scotland speaks at an Iftar dinner held at the Ismaili Centre in London (Photo: The Ismaili National Council for the United Kingdom)

'Aga Khan dedicated his life to service, peace, and pluralism'

THE outgoing head of the Commonwealth has paid tribute to the late Prince Karim Aga Khan, describing him as a visionary leader whose lifelong dedication to service, peace, and pluralism has left a lasting impact on the world.

Speaking at an Iftar dinner held at the Ismaili Centre in London last Wednesday (26), Baroness Patricia Scotland, who steps down as Commonwealth secretary general on 1 April, reflected on her personal connection with the Aga Khan, recalling their meetings during Commonwealth Day celebrations at Westminster Abbey.

Keep ReadingShow less
Starmer-Trump-Getty

Trump has suggested the possibility of a 'great' trade deal that could help the UK mitigate the impact of tariffs he has pledged to introduce. (Photo: Getty Images)

Starmer, Trump talk trade deal progress in 'productive' discussion

KEIR STARMER and Donald Trump spoke on Sunday about ongoing UK-US trade negotiations, with Downing Street describing the talks as "productive."

Since leaving the European Union, the UK has been working to secure a trade agreement with the United States. Successive British governments have pursued a deal, but it has remained elusive.

Keep ReadingShow less
Myanmar-quake-rescue-Reuters

Rescuers carry the body of a victim during search and rescue operations, following a strong earthquake, in Bangkok, Thailand, March 30. (Photo: Reuters)

Myanmar earthquake death toll rises to 1,700, UK pledges £10m in aid

RESCUE efforts continued in Myanmar as residents searched for survivors in collapsed buildings in Mandalay, two days after a 7.7-magnitude earthquake struck the country. The disaster has killed at least 1,700 people in Myanmar and 17 in neighbouring Thailand.

The quake hit near Mandalay on Friday afternoon, followed minutes later by a 6.7-magnitude aftershock. The tremors caused widespread destruction, damaging buildings, bridges, and roads in the city of more than 1.7 million people.

Keep ReadingShow less