Skip to content
Search

Latest Stories

Sajid Javid apologises for urging people not to 'cower from' Covid

Sajid Javid apologises for urging people not to 'cower from' Covid

BRITISH health secretary Sajid Javid apologised for and deleted a tweet urging people to take a Covid-19 vaccine and not to "cower" from the virus, saying on Sunday (25) he had made "a poor choice of word".

Javid, who replaced Matt Hancock as health secretary last month after his predecessor stepped down for breaking Covid rules by kissing an aide in his office, had been criticised for using the word "cower" when tens of thousands in Britain have died from the virus and many are trying to keep safe.


Britain, which has one of the highest official Covid death tolls, has shifted its strategy to fight coronavirus from using restrictions to limit its spread to opening up society in the hope vaccines will protect most people from serious illness.

Cases are high, but so is uptake of Covid-19 vaccines, and officials argue the shift is needed to help businesses in sectors such as hospitality and the night-time economy.

Writing on Twitter, Javid said on Sunday (25) he had "deleted a tweet which used the word 'cower'."

"I was expressing gratitude that the vaccines help us fight back as a society, but it was a poor choice of word and I sincerely apologise. Like many, I have lost loved ones to this awful virus and would never minimise its impact."

On Saturday (24), he had written that he had recovered after testing positive for Covid, after suffering mild symptoms.

"Please - if you haven't yet - get your jab, as we learn to live with, rather than cower from, this virus."

Angela Rayner, deputy leader of the Labour Party, was one of several lawmakers from opposition parties and people who had lost family members to the pandemic to criticise his use of the phrase "cower from".

"127,000 people have died from this virus, tens of thousands of whom would still be here if it wasn't for the catastrophic failures of your government," she said on Twitter.

"So how dare you denigrate people for trying to keep themselves and their families safe."

More For You

CSK vs RCB

CSK and RCB-tune in for this blockbuster clash between two IPL heavyweights

Getty Images

IPL 2025 - CSK vs RCB: Chennai and Bengaluru's clash of titans

The Indian Premier League (IPL) is back with another highly anticipated encounter as Chennai Super Kings (CSK) lock horns with Royal Challengers Bengaluru (RCB) in the 8th match of the 2025 season. The match will take place at the iconic MA Chidambaram Stadium in Chennai on March 28th at 7:30 PM IST. Both teams are coming off strong wins in their previous matches and are eager to extend their winning streaks, making this clash one that fans won’t want to miss.

Team analysis: Chennai Super Kings (CSK)

CSK, one of the most successful franchises in IPL history, comes into this game with confidence after a thrilling victory over Mumbai Indians. Although the chase wasn’t entirely smooth, CSK managed to pull off a win with 4 wickets in hand. Their bowling unit, led by the young sensation Noor Ahmad, was instrumental in restricting Mumbai to a modest total of 155/9. Noor’s outstanding spell of 4 wickets for just 18 runs earned him the well-deserved Man of the Match title, while Khaleel Ahmed also chipped in with 3 wickets.

Keep ReadingShow less
Streeting: Health deal signals new era in UK-India ties

Foreign Office minister Catherine West, health secretary Wes Streeting and equalities minister Seema Malhotra during the Holi Reception in London.

Streeting: Health deal signals new era in UK-India ties

THE recent health and life sciences agreement between the UK and India will strengthen cooperation on healthcare innovation and security in both countries, health secretary Wes Streeting said.

Speaking at the Holi reception organised by the 1928 Institute, who are the secretariat for the India All-Party Parliamentary Group, in London on Monday (24), he added that the contribution of British Indians has been pivotal in the growth of the NHS since its inception in 1948, and a robust partnership between the two nations will ensure we have a healthcare provider 'fit for the future'.

Keep ReadingShow less
Renée Zellweger Joins Only Murders in the Building Season 5 Cast

Renée Zellweger joins the cast of Only Murders in the Building Season 5, bringing more star power to the hit series

Getty Images

Renée Zellweger joins ‘Only Murders in the Building’ season 5 with an expanded star-studded cast

The Oscar-winning actress joins Steve Martin, Selena Gomez, and Martin Short in Hulu’s hit mystery-comedy for an exciting new season.

Renée Zellweger is the latest Hollywood star to join Hulu's hit mystery-comedy Only Murders in the Building for its fifth season. The two-time Academy Award winner will share the screen with series regulars Steve Martin, Martin Short, and Selena Gomez, adding to the show’s already impressive line-up of guest stars.

Keep ReadingShow less
british-steel-iStock

An aerial view of Steel Plant Industry in Scunthorpe. (Photo: iStock)

British Steel to shut blast furnaces, up to 2,700 jobs at risk

BRITISH STEEL, owned by Chinese group Jingye, confirmed on Thursday that it will shut down its blast furnaces and steelmaking operations in England, attributing the decision to market challenges, tariffs, and rising environmental costs.

The closures, first proposed in late 2023, could lead to the loss of up to 2,700 jobs at the company’s main UK site in Scunthorpe, northern England, according to sources familiar with the matter.

Keep ReadingShow less