Skip to content
Search

Latest Stories

Sajid Javid vows forced marriage abuse help

by LAUREN CODLING

PROPOSALS addressing forced marriage in the UK were outlined by home secretary Sajid Javid at the Conservative party conference in Birmingham on Tuesday (2).


Measures include refusal of spousal entry to the UK where there are signs that a marriage has been forced and helping public-sector professionals identify and support victims.

The move comes after months of criticism against the Home Office, which has been accused of accepting visa applications from men who had forcibly married teenagers abroad. It dealt with 88 cases of forced marriage victims trying to stop visas last year, although almost half were still issued, an investigation found in August.

Figures from the Forced Marriage Unit (FMU) showed more than 1,000 cases were reported last year, with cases relating to 65 so-called “focus” countries including Pakistan (439), Bangladesh (129), and India (82).

In 2017, charity Karma Nirvana confirmed it received almost 9,000 calls, including more than 200 from children under 15, related to forced marriage.

Children’s charity NSPCC confirmed its helpline Childline had been contacted by young victims, with 109 counselling sessions on the issue in 2017-18.

Referring to forced marriage as an “appalling crime”, Javid insisted that it would not be tolerated in the country.

“We need to do more,” he admitted, adding that the government planned to consult on

making reporting forced marriage a mandatory duty for professionals.

Javid, the MP for Bromsgrove, also announced that victims’ identity would be protected when they attempted to block a visa.

Campaigners had argued that a lack of anonymity could put victims in danger if their family or spouse found out, making them less likely to seek help.

“[The victim] will be in real dire straits if she feels she has no option to support the visa application even if it is wrong,” Freedom founder Aneeta Prem told Eastern Eyeearlier this year.

The home secretary confirmed that the government would do more to protect victims.

“When women have the courage to come forward and inform us that they have been forced to sponsor a spousal visa against their will, we will not only protect their anonymity, but we will also do everything we can to deny or revoke that visa,” he said.

Javid emphasised how the latest plans built on policies already implemented by the government to protect those at risk of forced marriage.

“Supporting victims will be at the heart of these new proposals to give them confidence to speak out, knowing the government is on their side,” he said.

In May, a landmark conviction saw a woman jailed for four and-a-half years after she tricked her 17-year-old daughter into travelling to Pakistan and forcing her to marry an older man. It was the first successful prosecution of its kind in Britain.

More For You

Sri Lanka forms committee to address UK sanctions
Anura Kumara Dissanayake

Sri Lanka forms committee to address UK sanctions

THE Sri Lanka government on Wednesday (2) formed a committee to recommend measures regarding the UK's decision to impose sanctions on three former military commanders who led the campaign that crushed the Liberation Tigers of Tamil Eelam (LTTE) in 2009.

Health minister Nalinda Jayatissa told reporters that foreign minister Vijitha Herath, justice minister Harshana Nanayakkara and deputy minister of defence Aruna Jayasekara would comprise the committee that would consult experts for the purpose.

Keep ReadingShow less
Gujarat-blast-ANI

The blast caused the factory’s concrete roof to collapse, scattering debris and body parts across the area, officials confirmed. (Photo: ANI)

ANI

Death toll rises to 21 in Gujarat firework factory explosion

AN EXPLOSION at an illegal firecracker factory in Gujarat's Deesa town killed 21 people and injured several others on Tuesday, officials said.

The blast caused the factory’s concrete roof to collapse, scattering debris and body parts across the area, officials confirmed.

Keep ReadingShow less
Child benefit payments set to rise for UK families

Child benefit, normally paid every four weeks directly into bank accounts, has undergone significant changes in recent months (Photo: Getty Images)

Child benefit payments set to rise for UK families

MILLIONS of British families are set to receive a financial boost as child benefit payments increase from April 7, according to HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC).

From next week, parents will receive £26.05 per week for the eldest or only child, amounting to £1,354.60 annually - up from the current rate of £25.60. For each additional child, payments will rise to £17.25 weekly, totalling £897 per year - an increase from the present £16.95 rate. This represents a 1.7 per cent increase across all payment categories.

Keep ReadingShow less
Anant Ambani Walks 140 Km in Spiritual Tribute on 30th Birthday

Anant’s padyatra is a reflection of the larger cultural fabric of India

Getty

Anant Ambani embarks on a 140-kilometer spiritual journey on foot to celebrate 30th birthday

Anant Ambani, a director of Reliance Industries Limited and a prominent figure in Indian industry, has chosen a unique and spiritual way to mark his 30th birthday. As part of his celebrations, he is currently undertaking a padyatra—a traditional pilgrimage on foot—from Jamnagar to Dwarka, covering a distance of approximately 140 kilometres. The journey reflects his devotion to Lord Dwarkadhish, the presiding deity of the Dwarkadhish Temple in the city of Dwarka.

Anant began his journey from his family’s residence in Moti Khavdi, Jamnagar, and has been progressing steadily for the past five days. Walking an estimated 10-12 kilometres each night, he travels under the protection of Z+ security and local police, ensuring his safety during this significant journey. The padyatra is expected to take between seven to nine days in total, with plans to conclude at the Dwarkadhish Temple in time for his birthday on April 10.

Keep ReadingShow less
New TB action plan proposed as cases surge

Government urged experts to come forward to help draw up a new five-year TB action plan. (Photo: Getty Images)

New TB action plan proposed as cases surge

BRITAIN on Wednesday (2) urged health experts and sufferers of tuberculosis (TB) to come forward to help draw up a new five-year action plan as it deals with record rises in the disease.

In 2023, England recorded its largest annual increase (11 per cent) in cases since enhanced surveillance began in 2000.

Keep ReadingShow less