Skip to content
Search

Latest Stories

Senior Tory leaders against inviting China to Queen's funeral over genocide of Uyghur Muslims

All the signatories in the letter have been sanctioned by China.

Senior Tory leaders against inviting China to Queen's funeral over genocide of Uyghur Muslims

Senior leaders of UK's ruling party have raised concerns about inviting Chinese leaders to the Queen's funeral on Monday (19) over genocide of Uyghur minority.

A group of MPs and peers, including former Tory leader leader Sir Iain Duncan Smith, have urged the government to withdraw the invitation to the Chinese government, the BBC reported.


Meanwhile, reports said that Chinese Vice President Wang Qishan is expected to represent the country at the funeral, a British foreign office source said on Thursday (15).

Heads of state from across the world, including US President Joe Biden, are expected to attend the state funeral in central London.

Senior Tory MPs Tim Loughton and Sir Iain Duncan Smith have written to the foreign secretary saying that it was "extraordinary" that the "architects" of genocide against the Uyghur minority had been invited.

According to Politico, the letter was also signed by Crossbench peer Lord Alton and Labour peer Baroness Kennedy.

All the signatories have been sanctioned by China for their vocal criticism of the country.

"We are greatly concerned to hear that the government of China has been invited to attend the state funeral next week, despite other countries Russia, Belarus and Myanmar being excluded," the letter said.

"Given that the United Kingdom Parliament has voted to recognise the genocide committed by the Chinese government against the Uyghur people it is extraordinary that the architects of that genocide should be treated in any more favourable way than those countries who have been barred."

The letter added: "I hope you will agree that it would be wholly inappropriate that any representative of the Chinese government should be able to attend such an important occasion as the state funeral of our late monarch and that you can give us your assurance that the invitation will be immediately withdrawn."

The group have also written to the Lords and Commons speakers saying that Chinese representatives should not be allowed to come to the Palace of Westminster.

It was earlier reported that representatives from Russia and Belarus have not been invited because of the invasion of Ukraine. Myanmar was also not invited because of a breakdown in diplomatic relations following last year's military coup.

Representatives from Syria, Venezuela and Afghanistan are also not on the guest list, the report added, and North Korea, Iran and Nicaragua have only been invited to send ambassadors.

The British House of Commons declared that a genocide was taking place against the Uyghurs in north-west China. More than a million people estimated to have been detained at camps in Xinjiang.

China claimed that the camps are 're-education' facilities used to combat terrorism.

President Xi was among the world leaders who expressed his condolences following the Queen's death, noting she was the first British monarch to visit China.

Early this week, Qishan visited the British embassy in Beijing with Britain's ambassador to China, Caroline Wilson, to sign a book of condolence for the Queen.

More For You

british-muslims-iStock

The study noted that this identification was not due to any doctrinal obligation but was influenced by the perception that many Muslims do not feel fully accepted as British. (Representational image: iStock)

iStock

Majority of British Muslims identify by faith first, study finds

A STUDY by the Institute for the Impact of Faith in Life (IIFL) has found that most British Muslims identify primarily with their religion rather than their nationality.

The research, based on a survey of 815 British Muslim adults by Whitestone Insight, revealed that 71 per cent of respondents identified as Muslim first, while 27 per cent identified as British, English, or Scottish first.

Keep ReadingShow less
Car Tax Changes: EV Owners Now Required to Pay for the First Time

Owners of electric vehicles registered on or after 1 April 2025 will pay £10 for the first year, followed by the standard VED rate of £195 from the second year. (Representational image: iStock)

iStock

Car tax changes take effect: EV owners to pay for first time

FROM today, 1 April 2025, electric cars, vans, and motorcycles in the UK will be subject to Vehicle Excise Duty (VED) for the first time.

The change, introduced in the 2022 Autumn Statement by former Conservative Chancellor Jeremy Hunt, aims to make motoring taxation fairer.

Keep ReadingShow less
scotland-minimum-wages-iStock

Full-time workers on the National Living Wage will receive an annual pay increase of £1,400 in real terms. (Representational image: iStock)

iStock

Wage increase takes effect for thousands of workers in Scotland

HUNDREDS of thousands of workers in Scotland will see a pay increase as new National Living Wage and National Minimum Wage rates take effect from Tuesday.

The changes will benefit approximately 220,000 people, according to STV News.

Keep ReadingShow less
uk-energy-bill-iStock

Water bills, energy prices, and council tax are rising, while the minimum wage has also increased (Representational image: iStock)

iStock

April bill increases put financial strain on single parents

A RANGE of essential household bills are increasing from April, with Citizens Advice warning that single parents will be among the hardest hit.

Water bills, energy prices, and council tax are rising, while the minimum wage has also increased, BBC reported.

Keep ReadingShow less
Netflix drama Adolescence to be screened in UK schools
Stephen Graham and Owen Cooper in 'Adolescence'
Netflix

Netflix drama Adolescence to be screened in UK schools

THE NETFLIX drama Adolescence will be shown in UK secondary schools as part of efforts to address harmful online influences on young boys, officials announced on Monday.

The show has sparked debate over the impact of toxic and misogynistic content on the internet. Prime minister Keir Starmer met the show's creators, charities, and young people at Downing Street, calling the initiative an important step in starting discussions about the content teenagers are exposed to online.

Keep ReadingShow less