Skip to content
Search

Latest Stories

Shakti opened door for fusion music in India: Grammy winner V Selvaganesh

The percussionist, who plays kanjira and ghatam, was in the winning team of McLaughlin, Hussain, vocalist Shankar Mahadevan and violinist Ganesh Rajagopalan.

Shakti opened door for fusion music in India: Grammy winner V Selvaganesh

Percussionist V Selvaganesh says fusion band Shakti, which last month won the Grammyfor its latest album, has inspired many young musicians since its formation in the 1970s.

The 57-year-old musician credits founding members of Shakti -- guitarist John McLaughlin, percussionists Zakir Hussain and TH ‘Vikku’ Vinayakram, and violinist L Shankar -- for starting India's first fusion band.


"John ji, Zakir bhai, L Shankar ji, and my father (Vinayakram) are the musicians who opened the door for new music, fusion music.

"Of course, before that Pandit Ravi Shankar ji had collaborated with western musicians, but as a band Shakti is the gate opening for each and every fusion band in India. If you see it from that moment, the youngsters who start a group, this band is the inspiration for them,” Selvaganesh told PTI in an interview.

The percussionist, who plays kanjira and ghatam, was in the winning team of McLaughlin, Hussain, vocalist Shankar Mahadevan and violinist Ganesh Rajagopalan.

He narrated a mythological story to describe his involvement in creating "This Moment", which recently won the Grammy in the best global music album category. Shakti, founded in 1973, has undergone several changes with new members joining over the years.

Drawing a parallel with a squirrel in the Hindu epic Ramayana that helped build the bridge to Lanka by carrying pebbles, Selvaganesh credits the founding members for the success and believes the new members are “just add-ons”.

“I follow in their footsteps because they never expect anything, they just give their 100 per cent to music. They just work. And after 50 years of this band, it was considered the best global music album. So that goes to the founders, that’s their property, their treasure. We are all just add-ons,” he said.

“In Ramayana, when they were building the bridge to Lanka, there was one squirrel that came to help, so I feel that way. But I am taking honour and Shakti is my family too,” he added.

The Chennai-based percussionist joined the band in 1999 when it was rebranded as ‘Remember Shakti’ along with mandolin player U Srinivas and then Mahadevan.

Over the next few years, a number of artistes worked with the group, including flute maestro Hariprasad Chaurasia, percussionist Taufiq Qureshi, and santoor player Shivkumar Sharma.

The band regrouped in 2021 to create another album under the name of ‘Shakti’, as a result of which "This Moment" was released in June 2023.

Selvaganesh said he has learned to take his legacy in his stride and stay receptive to new ideas, a lesson he learned from his father, a ghatam pioneer.

"I am never nervous because my mind is always open to learning. One thing I have learned from my father is to keep it open. Sitting and learning is one thing but what you learn stays onstage forever with you. When you make a mistake, you learn. I never get nervous, I get excited at every concert,” he said.

The musician will be presenting the ‘Ghatam Symphony’ at the second edition of Mahindra Percussion Festival at Bengaluru’s Prestige Srihari Khoday Centre for Performing Arts on March 23 with his father, brother Umashankar and son Swaminathan.

Selvaganesh said such festivals help take south Indian percussion to mainstream audiences.

"These are the festivals that will definitely help out. And people love it. We need more festivals like this in different cities. There are festivals for classical music, but we need something just for percussion. We should expand this all over India,” the Grammy winner said.

More For You

Val Kilmer

From Iceman to Jim Morrison, Val Kilmer's transformative performances cemented his place as one of Hollywood’s finest actors

Instagram/Getty Images

Hollywood legend: 5 most iconic roles of Val Kilmer

Val Kilmer wasn’t just an actor for all of us, right? He was like a force of nature. A man who didn’t just play characters but became them, leaving pieces of his soul on the screen every single time. With his passing in 2025, we lost one of the greats, but his performances? They’re immortal.

Here’s a tribute to the roles that made us laugh, cry, and sit in stunned silence, the ones that proved, again and again, that Kilmer was pure magic.

Keep ReadingShow less
Jennifer Lawrence & Cooke Maroney Welcome Their Second Child

Jennifer Lawrence spotted with husband Cooke Maroney

SplashNews.com/Christopher Peterson /

Jennifer Lawrence welcomes second child with Cooke Maroney

Jennifer Lawrence and her husband, Cooke Maroney, have welcomed their second child, expanding their family of three to four. The couple, who are already parents to their three-year-old son Cy, were seen taking a stroll in New York City just days after the baby’s arrival.

Although the couple has not publicly shared details about their new-born, insider sources have confirmed the news. The Hunger Games actress and Maroney have been married since October 2019, tying the knot in a private ceremony at the historic Belcourt of Newport mansion in Rhode Island.

Keep ReadingShow less
Adolescence

Netflix’s Adolescence quickly climbs the all-time charts, surpassing major hits like Stranger Things 3

Netflix

‘Adolescence’ surpasses ‘Stranger Things 3’ on Netflix in 17 days with 96.7 million views

Netflix’s latest limited series, Adolescence, has taken the platform by storm, racking up 96.7 million views in just 17 days. This unexpected success has pushed Stranger Things 3 down to the tenth spot on Netflix’s all-time most popular English-language TV series list, while Bridgerton Season 2 has dropped off completely.

Released on March 13, Adolescence follows the gripping story of 13-year-old Jamie Miller, played by Owen Cooper, who finds himself charged with the murder of a classmate. The series, directed by Philip Barantini and starring Stephen Graham, has connected with viewers worldwide, making its way into the Top 10 charts in all 93 countries where Netflix rankings are available.

Keep ReadingShow less
David Fincher Directs ‘Once Upon a Time in Hollywood’ Sequel

This sequel is shaping up to be one of the most anticipated film projects in recent years

Getty

'Once Upon a Time in Hollywood' sequel on Netflix: David Fincher helms film written by Quentin Tarantino starring Brad Pitt

David Fincher is set to direct a sequel to Once Upon a Time in Hollywood, with Quentin Tarantino penning the script for the follow-up to his Academy Award-winning film. The project, confirmed by Variety, does not yet have an official title but is being developed at Netflix, where Fincher holds a first-look deal. Brad Pitt will reprise his role as Cliff Booth, the stuntman with a dark past.

The film marks a particularly unique collaboration, not only due to one renowned filmmaker directing a sequel to another’s work but also because of its transition from theatrical release to a streaming platform. The original Once Upon a Time in Hollywood was released in 2019 by Sony Pictures, but Tarantino had negotiated a deal that would grant him ownership of the film’s underlying rights after a set period. The fact that this sequel is being developed under Fincher’s Netflix agreement suggests that Tarantino may already hold the sequel rights privately.

Keep ReadingShow less
Laapata Ladies

Kiran Rao’s critically acclaimed film is now under fire after a viral video compared its plot to Burqa City

Instagram

'Laapata Ladies' makers accused of plagiarism as similarity with Arab film 'Burqa City' surface

Kiran Rao’s Laapataa Ladies, which received critical acclaim and was selected as India’s official entry for the 2025 Oscars, is now facing accusations of plagiarism. A viral video circulating on social media has drawn comparisons between Rao’s film and Burqa City, a 2019 Arabic short film by French filmmaker Fabrice Bracq.

What’s the controversy?

Keep ReadingShow less