Skip to content
Search

Latest Stories

Shamima Begum stripped of British citizenship

RADICIALISED teenager Shamima Begum has been stripped of her British citizenship, it was announced on Tuesday (19).

Begum, 19, was one of three school girls from east London who fled to Syria to join Daesh (the so-called Islamic State group) in 2015. She claimed to have been married to a Dutch convert days after she arrived in Syria.


Last week, Begum was discovered in a refugee camp in northern Syria. She has since made requests to come back to the UK with her newborn son, Jerah.

According to a letter to the Begum’s family, a decision to revoke her citizenship was made by home secretary Sajid Javid. The letter requested that Begum’s mother convey the news back to her daughter, along with the information that she would be able to appeal the decision.

Lawyer Tasnime Akunjee, who represents Begum and her family, said the family were 'very disappointed with the Home Office's intention to have an order made depriving Shamima of her citizenship.'

The latest news comes after the head of the Metropolitan Police, Cressida Dick, said Begum would potentially face arrest if she made her way to the UK.

“We’re the police. If she does arrive at our borders, someone in her circumstances could be expected to be spoken to, and if necessary arrested and investigated,” Dick said.

Javid, had also said Begum would “face consequences” if she returned.

Addressing the House of Commons on Monday (18), Javid said although the government could not prevent her return due to international laws against leaving people stateless, he would do everything in his power to stop those who “hate Britain” coming back.

"Quite simply - if you back terror, there must be consequences," he said.

It also emerged on Tuesday that ministers are looking into an ancient law of treason to see if it can be altered to make it easier to prosecute returning jihadist fighters and their supporters.

Since their return to the UK, only 40 of around 360 jihadis have been convicted of any offence.

The prospect of Begum’s return has provoked debate across the UK, with some claiming she was “groomed” by the group and should be offered rehabilitation.

Akunjee had previously called for the government to allow her back into the country.

He compared Begum to a “traumatised” WW1 soldier returning from the trenches and suggested the British legal system were treating her worse than the Nazis.

Begum previously gave birth to two other children after marrying in Syria. Both children died as infants, she said.

Journalist Anthony Loyd, who was the first person to interview Begum for The Times, had also urged for her return.

“Yes, she is a radicalised jihadi bride – but she was a 15-year-old school girl when she went there,” Loyd said. “I think there is a clear difference between some of the women who went out there as adults making adult choices and this young woman who went out there as a minor, and remained a minor until only a year ago, by which time she would have become heavily indoctrinated.”

In an interview with Sky News, hours after giving birth, Begum said she did not regret joining the terror group as it “made her stronger”.

The teenager said she was “okay” with the knowledge that members of the terrorist group were executing and beheading prisoners and did not question it.

Begum added she believed the British public should have sympathy for her situation and what she has experienced.

“I didn’t know what I was getting into when I left and I just hope for the sake of me and my child, that they will let me come back,” she said.

She also claimed UK authorities didn't have any evidence of her doing anything illegal in Syria, as she was “just a housewife” for the four years she lived in the country.

The teen left the UK with two friends, Kadiza Sultana and Amira Abase, in February 2015.

Sultana was apparently killed in an airstrike in 2016. Abase’s whereabouts are unknown.

More For You

Sri Lanka forms committee to address UK sanctions
Anura Kumara Dissanayake

Sri Lanka forms committee to address UK sanctions

THE Sri Lanka government on Wednesday (2) formed a committee to recommend measures regarding the UK's decision to impose sanctions on three former military commanders who led the campaign that crushed the Liberation Tigers of Tamil Eelam (LTTE) in 2009.

Health minister Nalinda Jayatissa told reporters that foreign minister Vijitha Herath, justice minister Harshana Nanayakkara and deputy minister of defence Aruna Jayasekara would comprise the committee that would consult experts for the purpose.

Keep ReadingShow less
Gujarat-blast-ANI

The blast caused the factory’s concrete roof to collapse, scattering debris and body parts across the area, officials confirmed. (Photo: ANI)

ANI

Death toll rises to 21 in Gujarat firework factory explosion

AN EXPLOSION at an illegal firecracker factory in Gujarat's Deesa town killed 21 people and injured several others on Tuesday, officials said.

The blast caused the factory’s concrete roof to collapse, scattering debris and body parts across the area, officials confirmed.

Keep ReadingShow less
Child benefit payments set to rise for UK families

Child benefit, normally paid every four weeks directly into bank accounts, has undergone significant changes in recent months (Photo: Getty Images)

Child benefit payments set to rise for UK families

MILLIONS of British families are set to receive a financial boost as child benefit payments increase from April 7, according to HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC).

From next week, parents will receive £26.05 per week for the eldest or only child, amounting to £1,354.60 annually - up from the current rate of £25.60. For each additional child, payments will rise to £17.25 weekly, totalling £897 per year - an increase from the present £16.95 rate. This represents a 1.7 per cent increase across all payment categories.

Keep ReadingShow less
Anant Ambani Walks 140 Km in Spiritual Tribute on 30th Birthday

Anant’s padyatra is a reflection of the larger cultural fabric of India

Getty

Anant Ambani embarks on a 140-kilometer spiritual journey on foot to celebrate 30th birthday

Anant Ambani, a director of Reliance Industries Limited and a prominent figure in Indian industry, has chosen a unique and spiritual way to mark his 30th birthday. As part of his celebrations, he is currently undertaking a padyatra—a traditional pilgrimage on foot—from Jamnagar to Dwarka, covering a distance of approximately 140 kilometres. The journey reflects his devotion to Lord Dwarkadhish, the presiding deity of the Dwarkadhish Temple in the city of Dwarka.

Anant began his journey from his family’s residence in Moti Khavdi, Jamnagar, and has been progressing steadily for the past five days. Walking an estimated 10-12 kilometres each night, he travels under the protection of Z+ security and local police, ensuring his safety during this significant journey. The padyatra is expected to take between seven to nine days in total, with plans to conclude at the Dwarkadhish Temple in time for his birthday on April 10.

Keep ReadingShow less
New TB action plan proposed as cases surge

Government urged experts to come forward to help draw up a new five-year TB action plan. (Photo: Getty Images)

New TB action plan proposed as cases surge

BRITAIN on Wednesday (2) urged health experts and sufferers of tuberculosis (TB) to come forward to help draw up a new five-year action plan as it deals with record rises in the disease.

In 2023, England recorded its largest annual increase (11 per cent) in cases since enhanced surveillance began in 2000.

Keep ReadingShow less