Skip to content
Search

Latest Stories

SpiceJet’s Ajay Singh, Busy Bee Airways, Sky One bid for Go First

Go First stopped flying on May 3, 2023 and its plea for voluntary insolvency resolution proceedings was admitted by the National Company Law Tribunal (NCLT) on May 10 last year

SpiceJet’s Ajay Singh, Busy Bee Airways, Sky One bid for Go First

Ajay Singh, the head of SpiceJet, together with Busy Bee Airways and the Sharjah-based Sky One, have submitted bids for the bankrupt airline Go First, which ceased operations over nine months ago.

The announcement by Singh comes at a time when the crisis-hit SpiceJet is raising funds and rationalising costs, including by laying off more than 1,000 staff.


In a press release on Friday (16), SpiceJet said the bid for Go First has been submitted by Singh in his personal capacity, along with Busy Bee Airways Private Limited.

Travel portal EaseMyTrip's co-founder and CEO Nishant Pitti is a majority shareholder in Busy Bee Airways.

Pitti said holding the majority shares of Busy Bee Airways in his personal capacity, he is supporting the "joint bid to resurrect the airline in the interest of the employees and all its stakeholders."

Separately, Sky One FZE said it has also submitted a bid for Go First.

Go First stopped flying on May 3, 2023 and its plea for voluntary insolvency resolution proceedings was admitted by the National Company Law Tribunal (NCLT) on May 10 last year.

"SpiceJet's role as the operating partner for the new airline involves providing essential staff, services and industry expertise.

"This collaboration is anticipated to generate synergies between the two carriers, leading to improved cost management, revenue growth and a strengthened market position within the Indian aviation industry," the release said.

It did not mention any details about Busy Bee Airways. According to data available from the corporate affairs ministry, Busy Bee Airways was incorporated on April 19, 2017 in Delhi and has a paid-up capital of approximately £950 (Rs 1 lakh).

Meanwhile, Pitti also said, "EaseMyTrip, which has no relation to this bid, continues to power on with its own focused and well-articulated expansion strategy."

Singh, the chairman and managing director of SpiceJet, said he firmly believes that Go First holds immense potential and can be revitalised to work in close synergy with SpiceJet, benefitting both carriers.

"Apart from coveted slots at domestic and international airports, international traffic rights, and an order for over 100 Airbus Neo planes, Go First is a trusted and valued brand among flyers. I am happy to contribute to the efforts aimed at reviving this popular airline and leveraging its strengths for mutual growth and success," he said in the release.

For SpiceJet, serving as the service provider for Go First will provide significant opportunities for revenue expansion, the release said.

According to the release,  "Coordinated route-planning initiatives are poised to enhance passenger traffic and drive ticket sales for both airlines. By strategically aligning their flight schedules and destinations, SpiceJet and the new airline can capture a larger share of the market and cater to diverse passenger needs effectively.”

SpiceJet -- which has been facing multiple headwinds, including financial woes and legal battles -- is raising funds and has received an amount of £74.4 million (Rs 744 crore).

The company has also initiated the process to raise an additional £100 million approximately (Rs 1,000 crore) the release said.

Meanwhile, in a statement, Sky One's chairman Jaideep Mirchandani said it has submitted a bid for Go First and looks forward to the next stage, which is due diligence.

"Given our vast aviation experience across the globe, we are confident about the acquisition," he said.

Headquartered in Sharjah, Sky One specialises in various aviation services, including cargo charters.

Earlier, reports had said the African continent-focused firm, Safrik Investments, was also interested in buying Go First.

On February 13, the NCLT extended the deadline to complete the insolvency resolution process of Go First by another 60 days.

The airline shuttered operations due to financial woes caused by persisting issues with Pratt & Whitney engines that had resulted in the grounding of its aircraft.

(PTI)

More For You

Child benefit payments set to rise for UK families

Child benefit, normally paid every four weeks directly into bank accounts, has undergone significant changes in recent months (Photo: Getty Images)

Child benefit payments set to rise for UK families

MILLIONS of British families are set to receive a financial boost as child benefit payments increase from April 7, according to HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC).

From next week, parents will receive £26.05 per week for the eldest or only child, amounting to £1,354.60 annually - up from the current rate of £25.60. For each additional child, payments will rise to £17.25 weekly, totalling £897 per year - an increase from the present £16.95 rate. This represents a 1.7 per cent increase across all payment categories.

Keep ReadingShow less
Anant Ambani Walks 140 Km in Spiritual Tribute on 30th Birthday

Anant’s padyatra is a reflection of the larger cultural fabric of India

Getty

Anant Ambani embarks on a 140-kilometer spiritual journey on foot to celebrate 30th birthday

Anant Ambani, a director of Reliance Industries Limited and a prominent figure in Indian industry, has chosen a unique and spiritual way to mark his 30th birthday. As part of his celebrations, he is currently undertaking a padyatra—a traditional pilgrimage on foot—from Jamnagar to Dwarka, covering a distance of approximately 140 kilometres. The journey reflects his devotion to Lord Dwarkadhish, the presiding deity of the Dwarkadhish Temple in the city of Dwarka.

Anant began his journey from his family’s residence in Moti Khavdi, Jamnagar, and has been progressing steadily for the past five days. Walking an estimated 10-12 kilometres each night, he travels under the protection of Z+ security and local police, ensuring his safety during this significant journey. The padyatra is expected to take between seven to nine days in total, with plans to conclude at the Dwarkadhish Temple in time for his birthday on April 10.

Keep ReadingShow less
New TB action plan proposed as cases surge

Government urged experts to come forward to help draw up a new five-year TB action plan. (Photo: Getty Images)

New TB action plan proposed as cases surge

BRITAIN on Wednesday (2) urged health experts and sufferers of tuberculosis (TB) to come forward to help draw up a new five-year action plan as it deals with record rises in the disease.

In 2023, England recorded its largest annual increase (11 per cent) in cases since enhanced surveillance began in 2000.

Keep ReadingShow less
Akshata hails Akshaya Patra’s after-school meals model during Watford visit

Akshata hails Akshaya Patra’s after-school meals model during Watford visit

AKSHATA MURTY visited a children’s charity and met pupils benefiting from its after-school meals programme, a spokesperson for the wife of former prime minister Rishi Sunak, said last Wednesday (26).

Murty, a philanthropist, visited the Akshaya Patra Foundation’s Watford kitchen, in northwest London, which was opened in 2020. It is the first international kitchen of the charity – founded in Bengaluru in 2000 – which serves 2.2 million children across India every school day.

Keep ReadingShow less