Skip to content
Search

Latest Stories

Sri Lanka president says government won't oppose Bill to decriminalise homosexuality

The LGBTQI community in Sri Lanka had questioned the government’s commitment to address issues faced by the community despite the private member’s Bill submitted by MP Premnath Dolawatte.

Sri Lanka president says government won't oppose Bill to decriminalise homosexuality

Sri Lankan president Ranil Wickremesinghe on Sunday (11) said that the government will not oppose the private member's Bill presented to parliament to decriminalise homosexuality, however, the Bill will require the support of individual members of parliament.

"We are for it, but you have to get the support of individual members. It's a matter of their private conscience," he said. According to Colombo Gazette, the president expressed these views during talks with the administrator of the United States Agency for International Development (USAID), Samantha Power in Colombo.


A Bill to amend the Penal Code with the aim of protecting the rights of the LGBTQ+ communities in Sri Lanka was handed over to president Ranil Wickramasinghe last month by attorney-at-law and parliamentarian Premnath C. Dolawatte.

The Penal Code (Amendment) (19th Act) Bill to amend the Penal Code was also submitted to parliament by Dolawatte as a private member's Bill.

The LGBTQI community in Sri Lanka had questioned the commitment of the government to address issues faced by the community despite the private member's Bill submitted by MP Premnath Dolawatte.

Issuing a statement, the LGBTQI+ community of Sri Lanka and their allies welcomed the private member's Bill by Dolawatte to decriminalise same-sex sexual activity between consenting adults by amending sections 365 and 365A of the Penal Code.

However, the LGBTQI community noted that the Bill comes amid a number of disturbing developments that directly impact the LGBTQI+ Sri Lankans, Colombo Gazette reported.

Earlier, this year, a United Nations treaty body called on Sri Lanka's government to repeal its law criminalizing adult, consensual same-sex conduct - including between women.

According to a Human Rights Watch report, the case was brought under the Convention on the Elimination of All Forms of Discrimination against Women (CEDAW) by Rosanna Flamer-Caldera, an LGBT rights activist who faced harassment and discrimination for her sexual orientation and human rights advocacy on behalf of sexual and gender minorities.

Many countries only criminalise same-sex relations between men, and at least 38 countries criminalise same-sex conduct regardless of sex or expressly criminalise sexual conduct between women. At least 10 countries have, since 1986, explicitly enacted laws that criminalise sex between women as well as men, sometimes perversely framing this as a gesture toward equality - such as in the case of Sri Lanka.

Around the world, laws that criminalise same-sex relations are being repealed as courts and governments recognise they are discriminatory and harmful - including the Indian Supreme Court striking down penal code section 377 in 2018.

In a 2016 report, Human Rights Watch documented that Sri Lanka's penal code casts a shadow over LGBT people's lives, impacting their ability to access health care and housing, and creating pressure to conceal and conform to their identities.

Meanwhile, US administrator Samantha Power arrived in Sri Lanka on Saturday (10) for a two-day official visit. The US Embassy in Sri Lanka said that the purpose of the visit is to discuss the ongoing economic crisis and strengthen the development partnership between the United States and Sri Lanka.

Powar met with Sri Lankans dealing with the impacts of the current complex emergency, private sector leaders, civil society organizations, and government officials. The administrator emphasised the United States' commitment to supporting the Sri Lankan people during this difficult time and partnering with them to build long-term economic stability and prosperity.

The administrator travelled to Ja-Ela, a town outside Colombo, and visited rice paddy fields where she sat down with farmers to hear about their experiences coping with fertilizer shortages, inflation, and decreased wages, USAID said in a press release.

The administrator then held a press conference and announced USD 40 million (£34.2 million) in new USAID development assistance, subject to Congressional approval, to provide fertilizer to approximately one million Sri Lankan farmers.

They spoke about how the lack of fertilizer was affecting their harvest and the impact it was having on their families.

The administrator then attended a working dinner with private sector representatives from Sri Lanka's finance, technology, pharmaceutical, and renewable energy sectors to discuss the country's path to economic revival and the critical role of public-private partnerships, the release added.

More For You

Sri Lanka forms committee to address UK sanctions
Anura Kumara Dissanayake

Sri Lanka forms committee to address UK sanctions

THE Sri Lanka government on Wednesday (2) formed a committee to recommend measures regarding the UK's decision to impose sanctions on three former military commanders who led the campaign that crushed the Liberation Tigers of Tamil Eelam (LTTE) in 2009.

Health minister Nalinda Jayatissa told reporters that foreign minister Vijitha Herath, justice minister Harshana Nanayakkara and deputy minister of defence Aruna Jayasekara would comprise the committee that would consult experts for the purpose.

Keep ReadingShow less
Gujarat-blast-ANI

The blast caused the factory’s concrete roof to collapse, scattering debris and body parts across the area, officials confirmed. (Photo: ANI)

ANI

Death toll rises to 21 in Gujarat firework factory explosion

AN EXPLOSION at an illegal firecracker factory in Gujarat's Deesa town killed 21 people and injured several others on Tuesday, officials said.

The blast caused the factory’s concrete roof to collapse, scattering debris and body parts across the area, officials confirmed.

Keep ReadingShow less
Child benefit payments set to rise for UK families

Child benefit, normally paid every four weeks directly into bank accounts, has undergone significant changes in recent months (Photo: Getty Images)

Child benefit payments set to rise for UK families

MILLIONS of British families are set to receive a financial boost as child benefit payments increase from April 7, according to HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC).

From next week, parents will receive £26.05 per week for the eldest or only child, amounting to £1,354.60 annually - up from the current rate of £25.60. For each additional child, payments will rise to £17.25 weekly, totalling £897 per year - an increase from the present £16.95 rate. This represents a 1.7 per cent increase across all payment categories.

Keep ReadingShow less
Anant Ambani Walks 140 Km in Spiritual Tribute on 30th Birthday

Anant’s padyatra is a reflection of the larger cultural fabric of India

Getty

Anant Ambani embarks on a 140-kilometer spiritual journey on foot to celebrate 30th birthday

Anant Ambani, a director of Reliance Industries Limited and a prominent figure in Indian industry, has chosen a unique and spiritual way to mark his 30th birthday. As part of his celebrations, he is currently undertaking a padyatra—a traditional pilgrimage on foot—from Jamnagar to Dwarka, covering a distance of approximately 140 kilometres. The journey reflects his devotion to Lord Dwarkadhish, the presiding deity of the Dwarkadhish Temple in the city of Dwarka.

Anant began his journey from his family’s residence in Moti Khavdi, Jamnagar, and has been progressing steadily for the past five days. Walking an estimated 10-12 kilometres each night, he travels under the protection of Z+ security and local police, ensuring his safety during this significant journey. The padyatra is expected to take between seven to nine days in total, with plans to conclude at the Dwarkadhish Temple in time for his birthday on April 10.

Keep ReadingShow less
New TB action plan proposed as cases surge

Government urged experts to come forward to help draw up a new five-year TB action plan. (Photo: Getty Images)

New TB action plan proposed as cases surge

BRITAIN on Wednesday (2) urged health experts and sufferers of tuberculosis (TB) to come forward to help draw up a new five-year action plan as it deals with record rises in the disease.

In 2023, England recorded its largest annual increase (11 per cent) in cases since enhanced surveillance began in 2000.

Keep ReadingShow less