Skip to content
Search

Latest Stories

Strong demand lifts Boohoo’s first-half profit

BRITISH online fashion business Boohoo has recorded a steep rise in its first-half pre-tax profit on Wednesday (25).

The fashion firm said pre-tax profit rose 83 per cent to £45.2 million for the six months ended August 31 compared to the same period last year.


A strong financial performance amid gloomy market conditions was ascribed to the strong demand for the company’s brands - PrettyLittleThing and Nasty Gal.

The revenue of the Manchester-based business rose 43 per cent to £564.9m, as its brand PrettyLittleThing grew in France and the US while Nasty Gal’s revenue more than doubled after its stunning performance in the US.

PrettyLittleThing’s revenue rose 41 per cent to £237.6m, with the US and French markets performing particularly well.

Revenue under the Nasty Gal brand rose 148 per cent to £43.9m with significant growth in the US and the UK.

Boohoo reported a capital spending of £6.4m in the first half, with further 19.4m spending on the acquisition of new brands.

The latest figures have beaten the market analysts expectations.

Celebrity campaigns have also boosted the performance of Mahmud Kamani’s business.

A social-media friendly company, Boohoo has teamed with television celebrities and models.

Its revenue growth was spread across all the group's brands, showing particular strength in the US and European markets.

The company’s active customers rose 30 per cent to 13m. Further, the key order metrics such as frequency, conversion, order value and others were seen to be improving.

John Lyttle, Boohoo Chief Executive Officer, said: “It has been a fantastic first half of the year for the group. We have delivered significant market share gains across all of our key markets, and for the first time in our history, revenue has exceeded £1 billion in the last 12 months.

“We have delivered strong growth and operating leverage in our more established brands and will continue to invest in both our more established and newly-acquired brands.

"We enter the second half of the year well-placed and confident that our platform, which combines the latest fashion, great prices and excellent customer service, all underpinned by a well-invested infrastructure, will deliver further market share gains.”

As announced earlier this month, the group revenue growth for the year up to February 2020 is expected to be around 33 per cent to 38 per cent, with adjusted earnings before interest, tax, depreciation and amortization (EBITDA) margin for the financial year to remain at 10 per cent, reflecting anticipated investments in the financial year into the three brands acquired by the group in the first half-year.

More For You

India jewellery

The US accounts for nearly £7.6 billion, or 30.4 per cent, of India’s annual gems and jewellery exports.(Photo: Reuters)

Reuters

India’s jewellery exports face decline as US tariffs hit

INDIA’s £24 billion gems and jewellery industry is preparing for a sharp decline in exports as the US imposes a 26 per cent tariff on Indian goods.

Industry officials said this would significantly affect sales to the US, India’s largest jewellery market.

Keep ReadingShow less
ronnie screwvala

Ronnie Screwvala’s rise to billionaire status is an inspiring story of vision

Getty

Ronnie Screwvala: From toothbrush seller to Bollywood's lone billionaire

The 2025 edition of the Forbes Billionaire List was released on Wednesday morning, showcasing the world's wealthiest individuals. The list features 3,028 billionaires globally, including 205 from India. Among these is Bollywood's only billionaire, Ronnie Screwvala, a media mogul whose journey from manufacturing toothbrushes to becoming a leading entrepreneur is nothing short of remarkable. With a net worth of $1.5 billion, Screwvala has surpassed the combined fortunes of Bollywood’s biggest stars, including Shah Rukh Khan, Salman Khan, and Aamir Khan.

Bollywood’s wealthiest man

Ronnie Screwvala stands as the richest person from the Hindi film industry, with a fortune exceeding that of its biggest icons. According to Forbes, his net worth of $1.5 billion surpasses the combined wealth of Shah Rukh Khan ($770 million), Salman Khan ($390 million), and Aamir Khan ($220 million), whose total stands at $1.38 billion. Additionally, he eclipses other notable figures such as Gulshan Kumar (approximately $900 million) and Aditya Chopra ($800 million). His financial success is a testament to his entrepreneurial acumen and strategic investments in both entertainment and education sectors.

Keep ReadingShow less
Donald Trump

Trump announced a series of tariff increases targeting various nations, including key US allies such as the UK and the European Union.

Getty Images

Trump’s tariffs hit global markets, Starmer warns of 'economic impact'

The UK and other global economies reacted on Thursday to US president Donald Trump's newly imposed tariffs, with prime minister Keir Starmer warning of an “economic impact” from the 10 per cent levy on British exports.

Trump announced a series of tariff increases targeting various nations, including key US allies such as the UK and the European Union.

Keep ReadingShow less
Airbus bets on Indian supply
base to scale up production

Guillaume Faury

Airbus bets on Indian supply base to scale up production

AIRCRAFT maker Airbus plans to significantly ramp up its annual sourcing of components and services from India to reach $2 billion (£1.54bn) by 2030, its CEO Guillaume Faury has said.

Describing India as one of the most important markets for Airbus in terms of growth, Faury said the challenge for the aircraft maker is to support the speed of the growth of the aviation industry in India.

Keep ReadingShow less
nintendo switch 2

The new console aims to build upon the success of its predecessor while introducing fresh innovations

Getty

Nintendo unveils Switch 2 - A new era for hybrid gaming begins

After months of speculation and cryptic teaser campaigns, Nintendo has officially announced the highly anticipated successor to its bestselling hybrid console. The Nintendo Switch 2 is set to launch on 5 June, with a price tag of £395.99 for the base package and £429.99 for a bundle including Mario Kart World. With a range of hardware improvements, redesigned controllers, and an exciting lineup of games, the new console aims to build upon the success of its predecessor while introducing fresh innovations.

A Bigger, Sharper Display and 4K Support

One of the most noticeable upgrades in the Nintendo Switch 2 is its display. The console now features a larger 7.9-inch screen, boasting twice the pixel count of the original Switch and supporting full 1080p resolution. Additionally, the display is capable of up to 120 frames per second, ensuring smoother animations, while high dynamic range (HDR) enhances colour contrast for a richer visual experience. Despite these improvements, the Switch 2 maintains the same thickness as the original model, preserving its signature portable form factor.

Keep ReadingShow less