Skip to content
Search

Latest Stories

Sweetener used in soft drinks and chewing gums may cause cancer: WHO

Aspartame is a widely used artificial sweetener found in products such as Coca-Cola diet sodas, Mars’ Extra chewing gum and some Snapple drinks

Sweetener used in soft drinks and chewing gums may cause cancer: WHO

The International Agency for Research on Cancer (IARC), the cancer research arm of the World Health Organisation (WHO), is expected to list aspartame as "possibly carcinogenic to humans" for the first time in July, two sources familiar with the matter said.

Aspartame, a widely used artificial sweetener found in products such as Coca-Cola diet sodas, Mars' Extra chewing gum, and some Snapple drinks, will be the subject of this classification.


This move by the IARC sets the stage for a potential clash between the food industry and regulators.

The IARC ruling, finalised earlier this month after a meeting of the group's external experts, is intended to assess whether something is a potential hazard or not, based on all the published evidence.

It does not take into account how much of a product a person can safely consume.

This advice for individuals comes from a separate WHO expert committee on food additives, known as JECFA (the Joint WHO and Food and Agriculture Organisation's Expert Committee on Food Additives), alongside determinations from national regulators.

However, similar IARC rulings in the past for different substances have raised concerns among consumers about their use, led to lawsuits, and pressured manufacturers to recreate recipes and swap to alternatives. That has led to criticism that the IARC's assessments can be confusing to the public.

JECFA, the WHO committee on additives, is also reviewing aspartame use this year. Its meeting began at the end of June and it is due to announce its findings on the same day that the IARC makes public its decision – on July 14.

Since 1981, JECFA has said aspartame is safe to consume within accepted daily limits. For example, an adult weighing 60 kg (132 pounds) would have to drink between 12 and 36 cans of diet soda – depending on the amount of aspartame in the beverage – every day to be at risk.

Its view has been widely shared by national regulators, including in the US and Europe.

An IARC spokesperson said both the IARC and JECFA committees' findings were confidential until July, but added they were "complementary", with IARC's conclusion representing "the first fundamental step to understand carcinogenicity".

The additives committee "conducts risk assessment, which determines the probability of a specific type of harm (e.g., cancer) to occur under certain conditions and levels of exposure."

However, industry and regulators fear that holding both processes at around the same time could be confusing, according to letters from the US and Japanese regulators seen by Reuters.

"We kindly ask both bodies to coordinate their efforts in reviewing aspartame to avoid any confusion or concerns among the public," Nozomi Tomita, an official from Japan's Ministry of Health, Labour and Welfare, wrote in a letter dated March 27 to WHO's deputy director general, Zsuzsanna Jakab.

The letter also called for the conclusions of both bodies to be released on the same day, as is now happening. The Japanese mission in Geneva, where the WHO is based, did not respond to a request for comment.

Debate

The IARC's rulings can have huge impact. In 2015, its committee concluded that glyphosate is "probably carcinogenic". Years later, even as other bodies like the European Food Safety Authority (EFSA) contested this assessment, companies were still feeling the effects of the decision.

Germany’s Bayer in 2021 lost its third appeal against US court verdicts that awarded damages to customers blaming their cancers on use of its glyphosate-based weedkillers.

The IARC's decisions have also faced criticism for sparking needless alarm over hard to avoid substances or situations. It has previously put working overnight and consuming red meat into its "probably cancer-causing" class, and using mobile phones as "possibly cancer-causing", similar to aspartame.

"IARC is not a food safety body and their review of aspartame is not scientifically comprehensive and is based heavily on widely discredited research," Frances Hunt-Wood, the secretary general of the International Sweeteners Association (ISA), said.

The body, whose members include Mars Wrigley, a Coca-Cola unit and Cargill, said it had "serious concerns with the IARC review, which may mislead consumers".

Aspartame has been extensively studied for years. Last year, an observational study in France among 100,000 adults showed that people who consumed larger amounts of artificial sweeteners – including aspartame – had a slightly higher cancer risk.

It followed a study from the Ramazzini Institute in Italy in the early 2000s, which reported that some cancers in mice and rats were linked to aspartame.

However, the first study could not prove that aspartame caused the increased cancer risk, and questions have been raised about the methodology of the second study, including by EFSA, which assessed it.

Aspartame is authorised for use globally by regulators who have reviewed all the available evidence, and major food and beverage makers have for decades defended their use of the ingredient.

The IARC said it had assessed 1,300 studies in its June review.

Recent recipe tweaks by soft drinks giant Pepsico demonstrate the struggle the industry has when it comes to balancing taste preferences with health concerns.

Pepsico removed aspartame from sodas in 2015, bringing it back a year later, only to remove it again in 2020.

Listing aspartame as a possible carcinogen is intended to motivate more research, said the sources close to the IARC, which will help agencies, consumers and manufacturers draw firmer conclusions.

But it will also likely ignite debate once again over the IARC's role, as well as the safety of sweeteners more generally.

Last month, the WHO published guidelines advising consumers not to use non-sugar sweeteners for weight control.

The guidelines caused a furore in the food industry, which argues they can be helpful for consumers wanting to reduce the amount of sugar in their diet.

(Reuters)

More For You

Donald Trump

The latest tariffs are part of Trump’s broader effort to address what he claims are unfair trade practices

Getty

Trump pressures UK to accept chlorinated chicken for tariff relief

Britain is facing renewed pressure from the United States to lift its ban on chlorinated chicken as a condition for tariff relief, following the imposition of sweeping new trade barriers by Donald Trump’s administration. The US president has introduced a 10 per cent tariff on all British exports to the United States, with even steeper levies placed on imports from the European Union.

US tariffs and trade demands

The latest tariffs are part of Trump’s broader effort to address what he claims are unfair trade practices. The White House, in its announcement, criticised the UK’s “non-science-based standards” that restrict American agricultural imports, including poultry and beef. It argued that these trade policies act as non-tariff barriers that disadvantage US exporters.

Keep ReadingShow less
8 packaged foods recalled in UK in the last month

These food recalls show how important it is to check labels and stay updated on safety alerts

iStock

8 packaged foods recalled in UK in the last month

Food recalls in the UK are issued when products pose risks to consumers. These risks can range from contamination to allergen mislabelling, and staying informed about these recalls is crucial for consumer safety. Recent recalls emphasize the importance of vigilance when purchasing and consuming food items. If you’ve recently stocked up on groceries, it’s time to check your pantry and fridge to ensure none of the items listed below are affected.

1. Tony’s Chocolonely Chocolate Bars

On April 2, 2025, Tony’s Chocolonely recalled its Dark Almond Sea Salt & Everything Bar after discovering small stones in the product. The presence of foreign objects in food can pose serious risks, such as dental damage or choking hazards. The company has urged customers to return the affected items immediately to avoid potential harm. If you have recently purchased this product, check your packaging and return it to the store where it was bought for a full refund.

Keep ReadingShow less
Priyanka Chopra’s Skincare Secret for a Radiant Glow

A glimpse into the secret behind her flawless, dewy glow

Instagram/ priyankachopra

Priyanka Chopra shares her skincare secret for achieving the ultimate glow

Global icon Priyanka Chopra Jonas has once again mesmerized fans, not just with her undeniable star power but also with her radiant beauty and touching personal moments. The actress recently took to social media to unveil her simple yet effective skincare ritual, offering a glimpse into the secret behind her flawless, dewy glow.

A glow that speaks volumes

Priyanka’s skincare revelation came via her Instagram stories, where she showcased the results of her go-to beauty practice, a sheet mask. The actress shared snapshots flaunting her luminous complexion post-skincare, proving that sometimes, the simplest routines yield the most stunning results.

Keep ReadingShow less
Meghan Markle

Meghan remains optimistic about the future of her brand

Getty

Meghan Markle’s ‘As Ever’ products sell out in just 30 minutes, including £21.60 honey jars

Meghan Markle’s latest business venture, the As Ever lifestyle range, has made a remarkable debut, with products selling out in under 30 minutes. The highly anticipated collection, which features a selection of premium artisanal goods, has garnered immediate consumer interest and social media excitement.

Among the standout products was a jar of wildflower honey with honeycomb, priced at $28 (£21.60), which quickly disappeared from the online store. Other sought-after items included flower sprinkles at $15 (£11.60), raspberry jam at $14 (£10.80), and a selection of herbal teas and baking mixes, each ranging between $12 (£9.30) and $14 (£10.80). The rapid sell-out reflects Meghan’s growing influence in the lifestyle and wellness market.

Keep ReadingShow less
Kareena Kapoor

Striking appearance at the Vivienne Westwood show

Instagram/ kareenakapoorkhan

Kareena Kapoor dazzles in red at Vivienne Westwood show in Mumbai

Bollywood star Kareena Kapoor made a striking appearance at the Vivienne Westwood show in Mumbai on Tuesday evening, turning heads in a glamorous red ensemble. The event, held at the iconic Gateway of India, was a celebration of India’s rich textile heritage and featured an exclusive showcase of Vivienne Westwood’s Spring-Summer 2025 collection.

A show-stopping look

Kareena Kapoor, known for her impeccable fashion sense, was the cynosure of all eyes as she arrived in a stunning red gown featuring a thigh-high slit, corset bodice, and off-shoulder sleeves. Her outfit exuded elegance and sophistication, complemented by her gold-hued heels, which added a touch of glamour to her look.

Keep ReadingShow less