Skip to content
Search

Latest Stories

Swiss Bank UBS AG Moves Court to Evict Vijay Mallya From Mortgaged Mansion In London

Swiss Bank UBS AG has moved country’s third highest court, UK high court to evict Indian fugitive, business tycoon Vijay Mallya, his mother, and son from their mansion in London, according to a report published by the Indian daily, The Times of India.

The bank has filed a petition for the possession of the multi-million-pound mansion on grounds that the mortgage has expired and not been repaid by Mallya, and others. The London high court is scheduled to hear the petition on October 24.


According to the report published in the newspaper, the Swiss lender made the claim in business and property court of the UK high court against Rose Capital Ventures Ltd, a British Virgin Islands-based firm owned by Mallya family trust, Lalitha Mallya and son Sidhartha Mallya.

Rose capital ventures took out a five-year interest-only mortgage from UBS on the mansion, 18 and 19 Cornwall Terrace for £20.4 million in 2012.

The shares in Rose Capital are owned by Gladco, which is registered in the name of Sileta trust, a Mallya family trust, as per the details which UBS attributes to Vijay Mallya. Mallya’s mother and son are the beneficiaries of this trust.

Rose Capital had purchased the assets and incorporated in the British Virgin Islands in 2005 for £5.4m and according to the title deeds, freehold rights to the assets lies with Crown Estate, namely the Queen.

According to the UBS, Mallya and others have refused to vacate the mansion despite the loan’s expiry and the lender’s request to the defendants. The Swiss lender seeks the court to declare that the Mallya and his members of the family are not legally entitled to enter or reside in the mansion.

The Swiss lender seeks Rose Capital to pay the loan’s outstanding sum and urged the court to declare that Mallya and his members of the family are not entitled to stay in the mansion. The sum owed is £20,718,236 as of September 1, last year, the lender claimed.

The bank states that it terminated the loan early in June 2016. Since the loan was not repaid, the bank appointed the receivers who began the proceedings against the four defendants and housekeeper for the property’s possession in November 2016. Following a court ruling in 2017, the housekeeper vacated the property, UBS claims in its statement to the court.

Since the mortgage ended on March 26, 2017, and the outstanding balance of £20.4m was still not paid. The bank opted to bring the proceedings to take possession of the property and to sell it, UBS said.  An attempt to refinance the loan with CBH Bank by Rose Capital failed and the UBS knows there are no other potential refinancing options for Rose Capital, UBS added.

Meanwhile, Barrister Jonathan Gavaghan of Blake Morgan LLP defending Mallya and others rejected the claims of UBS that UBS has the right to the property. According to them, Rose Capital had continued to pay the interest rate as per the rules and UBS hasn’t given any reason for calling in the loan early. The advocates who represent Mallya and others described UBS’s claim as a breach of mortgage laws.

The high court in an order said: “ The court record shall show that the defendants now act in person.” The high court also ruled that “Blake Morgan LLP has ceased to act as the solicitors for the defendants.”

The court is expected to start a five day trial on the case in May 2019.

More For You

‘All options on the table’ as Britain
prepares for likelihood of US tariffs

Sir Keir Starmer with Jonathan Reynolds

‘All options on the table’ as Britain prepares for likelihood of US tariffs

BRITAIN is likely to be hit by US tariffs despite making “rapid progress” over a trade deal with Washington, prime minister Sir Keir Starmer said on Tuesday (1).

He spoke as US trading partners around the world braced for an expected fresh raft of tariffs from president Donald Trump, in addition to levies already imposed on steel and those set to take effect this week on cars.

Keep ReadingShow less
single-use vapes-iStock

Analysis by Material Focus estimates that 8.2 million vapes are discarded or littered each week in the UK—equivalent to 13 every second. (Representational image: iStock)

iStock

Shops told to clear single-use vapes before ban starts on June 1

SHOPS across the UK have until 1 June 2025 to sell off remaining stocks of single-use vapes before a nationwide ban comes into force.

The legislation, confirmed last year, follows a government consultation that showed strong support for restricting their sale and supply.

Keep ReadingShow less
Primark-London-Getty

During his 15-year tenure, Marchant expanded Primark’s store network to more than 450 locations across 17 countries in Europe and the United States. (Photo: Reuters)

Primark chief Paul Marchant steps down after misconduct probe

PAUL MARCHANT, the head of fashion retailer Primark, has resigned with immediate effect after admitting to an "error of judgment" in his behaviour towards a woman in a social setting.

Associated British Foods (AB Foods), Primark's parent company, announced his resignation on Monday.

Keep ReadingShow less
Jaguar’s bold gamble: Can it woo young, wealthy drivers with a £123k EV?

Jaguar’s bold gamble: Can it woo young, wealthy drivers with a £123k EV?

JAGUAR’S ambition to seduce younger, richer drivers was on full display in Paris with a presentation of its newest prototype, the Type 00, which promises all-electric luxury... at a steep price.

The low-slung, muscular-looking concept car presented to European reporters last Friday (21) prefigures a production model expected mid-2026 at a base cost of €150,000 (£123,472.8).

Keep ReadingShow less
Starmer-Trump-Getty

Trump has suggested the possibility of a 'great' trade deal that could help the UK mitigate the impact of tariffs he has pledged to introduce. (Photo: Getty Images)

Starmer, Trump talk trade deal progress in 'productive' discussion

KEIR STARMER and Donald Trump spoke on Sunday about ongoing UK-US trade negotiations, with Downing Street describing the talks as "productive."

Since leaving the European Union, the UK has been working to secure a trade agreement with the United States. Successive British governments have pursued a deal, but it has remained elusive.

Keep ReadingShow less