Skip to content
Search

Latest Stories

Indian tanker captain honoured for ‘exceptional courage’ after missile strike

Captain Avhilash Rawat accepted the award on behalf of his crew of the oil tanker, Marlin Luanda

Indian tanker captain honoured for ‘exceptional courage’ after missile strike
Avhilash Rawat with his award

AN INDIAN ship captain has received the International Maritime Organisation’s (IMO) 2024 award for exceptional bravery at sea for his “extraordinary courage” shown in a Red Sea rescue mission earlier this year.

Captain Avhilash Rawat accepted the award on behalf of his crew of the oil tanker, Marlin Luanda, at an awards ceremony at the IMO headquarters in London on Monday (3) evening.


The captain and crew were praised for their “determination and endurance” while coordinating firefighting and damage control efforts after a fire broke out when an anti-ship ballistic missile struck their vessel in January. The explosion ignited a cargo tank, creating a significant fire hazard.

In his acceptance speech, Rawat thanked the crew “for their exceptional courage, professionalism, and unwavering dedication”. He added, “Your support and trust were invaluable during those critical hours, and together, we overcame challenges that seemed insurmountable.”

He also praised the Indian, French and US navies, saying, “your timely intervention and steadfast commitment were crucial in guiding us through the most critical moments of our firefighting efforts.”

Captain Brijesh Nambiar and the crew of the Indian Navy ship, INS Visakhapatnam, were conferred a “letter of commendation” for their support to Marlin Luanda when in distress.

“Twenty-four hours after the missile strike, the Marlin Luanda sailed to safety under naval escort,” the IMO citation noted.

Asked about security concerns in the Red Sea, which has been the target of Yemen’s Houthi fighters, Rawat noted that the situation remains “tense”

“I would request, stop sending ships through the Red Sea. My company has already stopped after this incident,” he said.

Rawat, who hails from Dehradun, is a master mariner with Suntech Ship Management.

In a message to those considering a seafaring career, he said: “The life at sea has always been very lucrative. It is a very good profession and youngsters should be encouraged to join.

“It enables us to know different people, countries and cultures. It instils great confidence and helps one survive in any situation.”

The annual IMO awards provide international recognition to those who put their own lives at risk in performing acts of exceptional bravery, displaying outstanding courage in attempting to save life at sea or in attempting to prevent or mitigate damage to the marine environment.

More For You

Streeting: Health deal signals new era in UK-India ties

Foreign Office minister Catherine West, health secretary Wes Streeting and equalities minister Seema Malhotra during the Holi Reception in London.

Streeting: Health deal signals new era in UK-India ties

THE recent health and life sciences agreement between the UK and India will strengthen cooperation on healthcare innovation and security in both countries, health secretary Wes Streeting said.

Speaking at the Holi reception organised by the India All-Party Parliamentary Group and the 1928 Institute in London on Monday (24), he added that the contribution of British Indians has been pivotal in the growth of the NHS since its inception in 1948, and a robust partnership between the two nations will ensure we have a healthcare provider 'fit for the future'.

Keep ReadingShow less
british-steel-iStock

An aerial view of Steel Plant Industry in Scunthorpe. (Photo: iStock)

British Steel to shut blast furnaces, up to 2,700 jobs at risk

BRITISH STEEL, owned by Chinese group Jingye, confirmed on Thursday that it will shut down its blast furnaces and steelmaking operations in England, attributing the decision to market challenges, tariffs, and rising environmental costs.

The closures, first proposed in late 2023, could lead to the loss of up to 2,700 jobs at the company’s main UK site in Scunthorpe, northern England, according to sources familiar with the matter.

Keep ReadingShow less
Just Stop Oil

Just Stop Oil has garnered significant media attention with its direct action protests

Getty Images

Just Stop Oil ends direct action campaign after major policy success

The environmental activist group Just Stop Oil has announced an end to its disruptive direct action protests, declaring a significant victory in its campaign to halt new oil and gas developments. In a statement released by the organisation, the group confirmed it had successfully influenced government policy to abandon new fossil fuel exploration, marking a major turning point in the movement’s goals.

“Just Stop Oil's initial demand to end new oil and gas is now government policy, making us one of the most successful civil resistance campaigns in recent history,” the group’s statement read. It went on to claim responsibility for having kept over 4.4 billion barrels of oil in the ground, while legal victories in the courts have ruled new oil and gas licences unlawful.

Keep ReadingShow less
submarine-crash-reuters

People walk next to an ambulance in front of the hospital where the bodies of foreigners who were killed when a tourist submarine sank off Egypt's Red Sea resort city of Hurghada, and whose nationalities are still unknown, are kept. (Photo: Reuters)

Six foreign tourists die after submarine sinks off Egypt’s Red Sea coast

SIX tourists died on Thursday when a submarine carrying visitors sank near Hurghada, a resort city on Egypt’s Red Sea coast, state media reported.

According to the state-owned Akhbar Al-Youm newspaper, all the deceased were foreigners. The report also said 19 others were injured in the incident.

Keep ReadingShow less
EU Warns Citizens to Stockpile Essentials Amid War Concerns

Not all EU countries currently have the same level of preparedness

Getty Images

European Union urges citizens to stockpile food and supplies amid risk of war

The European Union (EU) has advised its 450 million citizens to stockpile essential items, including food and water, to prepare for potential emergencies. This call to action is part of a broader strategy to improve disaster preparedness across the 27-nation bloc, as it faces increasing risks from war, cyberattacks, climate change, and public health crises.

The EU’s recommendation comes in light of recent global developments that have raised concerns about security and stability. Citizens are encouraged to have enough food, water, medicine, and other essential supplies to last at least 72 hours during a crisis.

Keep ReadingShow less