Skip to content
Search

Latest Stories

Tata Steel partners with Tenova for state-of-the-art electric arc furnace in UK green steel push

The deal has been described as a key milestone on the road to reducing carbon emissions by 90 per cent a year once the plant is commissioned from the end of 2027.

Tata Steel partners with Tenova for state-of-the-art electric arc furnace in UK green steel push
Paolo Argenta (left) and Tata Steel’s Rajesh Nair

TATA STEEL said it has signed a contract with an Italy-headquartered metals technology multinational to deliver a state-of-the-art electric arc furnace (EAF) as part of its green initiative in the UK.

The Indian steel major’s announced the pact last week with Tenova for its Port Talbot site in Wales, the UK’s largest steelworks.


It has been described as a key milestone on the road to reducing carbon emissions by 90 per cent a year once the plant is commissioned from the end of 2027.

Under the agreement, Tenova will supply an electric arc furnace with an annual capacity of three million tonnes of steel – similar to the output of the site’s blast furnaces decommissioned recently – by melting scrap steel from the UK.

“This partnership follows in the footsteps of an improved deal between the government and Tata Steel, and is further proof of our commitment to a bright future for UK steelmaking,” said business and trade secretary Jonathan Reynolds.

He added, “Technology like the furnaces made by Tenova is critical to decarbonising the industry, unlocking its potential to provide skilled jobs, and creating economic stability for future generations of steelworkers in South Wales.

“Our upcoming steel strategy will provide further certainty for the sector as we set out our plan for its long-term growth and viability, backed by up to £2.5 billion for steel.” The agreement follows a £1.25bn joint investment confirmed by Tata Steel and the British government recently, with Tata Steel investing £750 million and the government up to £500m.

“This landmark agreement will enable us to transform our steelmaking site that will not only support the UK’s decarbonisation journey, but also provide economic development opportunities for South Wales,” said TV Narendran, CEO and managing director of Tata Steel Limited.

“Today marks an important milestone in making low-CO2 steelmaking a reality in Port Talbot as well as reducing the UK’s carbon emissions and supporting our customers with their own carbon reduction targets,” said Narendran.

He joined the signing of the contract at Port Talbot last Friday following the project’s board-level approval.

The use of scrap is aimed at reducing Britain’s reliance on imported iron ore and strengthening the resilience of the country’s manufacturing supply chains.

New ladle metallurgy furnaces supplied by Tenova will refine the molten steel to make more complex grades required by manufacturers in the UK and other countries.

Paolo Argenta, executive vice-president for the Tenova Upstream Business Unit, said: “We are working with Tata Steel UK at an unprecedented level of transparency and cooperation, and we are confident this will lead to a successful project.

“Tenova’s global collaboration with Tata Steel, including projects in other regions, further reinforces our strong partnership.”

According to Tata Steel UK, detailed engineering is now ongoing, and other equipment orders will soon be placed separately for the “Hot Strip Mill and Casters life extension, new Pickle Line, cranes, and for construction management and civil engineering”.

The steel giant said it has completed public consultation on the application and is working with the authorities to submit the application next month, with a view to commencing large-scale site work around July 2025.

Tata Steel is the largest steelmaker in the UK with primary steelmaking at Port Talbot supporting manufacturing and distribution operations at sites across Wales, England and Northern Ireland as well as Norway, Sweden, France and Germany.

More For You

JLR-Tata-Getty

The automotive sector is among the hardest hit. British-made vehicles, which generated £9 bn in exports to the US last year, are now subject to a 25 per cent tariff. (Photo: Getty Images)

Getty Images

Trump’s tariffs impact UK auto, food, steel and defence exports

BRITISH exports to the US worth over £182 billion annually are now subject to new tariffs under policies announced by Donald Trump.

Most goods will face a 10 per cent tariff, with certain items subject to higher rates and some exemptions.

Keep ReadingShow less
Top court reviews car loans as
banks brace for major payouts

Many drivers took out loans unaware of the financial terms involved

Top court reviews car loans as banks brace for major payouts

THE UK’s highest court on Tuesday (1) began a hearing to determine whether controversial car loans were unlawful, in a case that could cost banks billions of pounds in compensation.

Banks are appealing a landmark ruling by a court of appeal in November that deemed it unlawful for car dealers to receive a commission on loans without sufficiently informing borrowers.

Keep ReadingShow less
India jewellery

The US accounts for nearly £7.6 billion, or 30.4 per cent, of India’s annual gems and jewellery exports.(Photo: Reuters)

Reuters

India’s jewellery exports face decline as US tariffs hit

INDIA’s £24 billion gems and jewellery industry is preparing for a sharp decline in exports as the US imposes a 26 per cent tariff on Indian goods.

Industry officials said this would significantly affect sales to the US, India’s largest jewellery market.

Keep ReadingShow less
ronnie screwvala

Ronnie Screwvala’s rise to billionaire status is an inspiring story of vision

Getty

Ronnie Screwvala: From toothbrush seller to Bollywood's lone billionaire

The 2025 edition of the Forbes Billionaire List was released on Wednesday morning, showcasing the world's wealthiest individuals. The list features 3,028 billionaires globally, including 205 from India. Among these is Bollywood's only billionaire, Ronnie Screwvala, a media mogul whose journey from manufacturing toothbrushes to becoming a leading entrepreneur is nothing short of remarkable. With a net worth of $1.5 billion, Screwvala has surpassed the combined fortunes of Bollywood’s biggest stars, including Shah Rukh Khan, Salman Khan, and Aamir Khan.

Bollywood’s wealthiest man

Ronnie Screwvala stands as the richest person from the Hindi film industry, with a fortune exceeding that of its biggest icons. According to Forbes, his net worth of $1.5 billion surpasses the combined wealth of Shah Rukh Khan ($770 million), Salman Khan ($390 million), and Aamir Khan ($220 million), whose total stands at $1.38 billion. Additionally, he eclipses other notable figures such as Gulshan Kumar (approximately $900 million) and Aditya Chopra ($800 million). His financial success is a testament to his entrepreneurial acumen and strategic investments in both entertainment and education sectors.

Keep ReadingShow less
Donald Trump

Trump announced a series of tariff increases targeting various nations, including key US allies such as the UK and the European Union.

Getty Images

Trump’s tariffs hit global markets, Starmer warns of 'economic impact'

The UK and other global economies reacted on Thursday to US president Donald Trump's newly imposed tariffs, with prime minister Keir Starmer warning of an “economic impact” from the 10 per cent levy on British exports.

Trump announced a series of tariff increases targeting various nations, including key US allies such as the UK and the European Union.

Keep ReadingShow less