Skip to content
Search

Latest Stories

The challenges facing Britain's new King Charles

Charles had long indicated that he intended to slim the monarchy down to his immediate family, his wife Camilla, and the partners and children of his sons Princes William and Harry.

The challenges facing Britain's new King Charles

From a younger brother tarnished by a sex abuse case to allegations of royal racism, Britain's new King Charles will face several challenges. Here are some of the issues he must deal with:

PRINCE ANDREW


Andrew, second son of the late queen and reputed to have been her favourite child, stepped down from royal duties in 2019 after a disastrous TV interview in which he had hoped to clear his name over his relationship to the late U.S. financier and sex offender Jeffrey Epstein.

In January 2022, he lost his military links and royal patronages and gave up his Royal Highness title. A month later he agreed an out-of-court settlement with Virginia Giuffre, an American woman who had been a victim of Epstein and who had accused Andrew of sexually abusing her when she was a teenager. Andrew denied any wrongdoing and was not accused of criminal wrongdoing.

Charles will now have to decide how to deal with his younger brother, who is still officially the Duke of York, and what public role - if any - he can play in the new reign.

PRINCE HARRY AND RACISM

Charles had long indicated that he intended to slim the monarchy down to his immediate family, his wife Camilla, and the partners and children of his sons Princes William and Harry.

But Harry's decision to move abroad with his American wife Meghan led to them stepping down from their royal roles in 2020, leaving that plan in tatters.

Since then Harry and Meghan have delivered withering criticism of Buckingham Palace, including accusing an unnamed royal and officials of racism and saying Charles and William were "trapped" by the institution.

Harry, whose title is the Duke of Sussex, has spoken of the family division, with relations between him, his father and brother still said to be difficult.

In his first address to the nation as king, Charles signalled a desire for a thaw in relations.

"I want also to express my love for Harry and Meghan as they continue to build their lives overseas," he said in his address on Friday.

POLICE INVESTIGATION

In November 2021, Charles's closest aide and right-hand man for decades, Michael Fawcett, stepped down from his role running his charity, The Prince's Foundation, after allegations that honours were offered to a Saudi national in return for donations.

A few months later, London police said they had launched a criminal investigation into the charity, while other inquiries are being carried out by regulators.

Charles's office has said he had no knowledge of the alleged wrongdoing, but his charity's links to Fawcett and his events company had ended.

In June 2022, the Sunday Times also reported that Charles had accepted 3 million euros ($3.2 million) in cash from a former Qatari prime minister, some of it in shopping bags.

His office said the money was passed to one of his charities and all correct processes were followed. A royal source said large cash donations would no longer be accepted.

The Times reported a month later that the Prince of Wales’ Charitable Fund had accepted money from the family of Osama bin Laden. Charles's office said the decision to accept the money was taken by the charity after proper due diligence, and he had had no involvement.

(Reuters)

More For You

India told to prepare for deadly rise in temperatures

The country can expect more heatwave days this year

India told to prepare for deadly rise in temperatures

INDIA can expect hotter-thanusual temperatures this summer with more heatwave days taking a toll on lives and livelihoods, the weather office warned.

The country is no stranger to scorching summers, but years of scientific research has found climate change is causing heatwaves to become longer, more frequent and more intense.

Keep ReadingShow less
Tower Hamlets secures funding to save domestic abuse support jobs

The planned strike action was called off after the external funding was secured

Tower Hamlets secures funding to save domestic abuse support jobs

Ruby Gregory

REDUNDANCY proposals which would have seen job cuts made to a ‘crucial’ domestic abuse support service in Tower Hamlets have been called off.

Solace Women’s Aid, which planned to make cuts, confirmed last Friday (28) the redundancies were no longer going ahead, following a boost in external funding which followed a threat of strike action.

Keep ReadingShow less
Report reveals Birmingham’s doctors face racism and bullying
Absences have risen at the Queen Elizabeth and Heartlands Hospitals in Birmingham, as well as Good Hope in Sutton and Solihull Hospital

Report reveals Birmingham’s doctors face racism and bullying

Gurdip Thandi

YOUNG doctors in Birmingham hospitals face a ‘shocking’ number of incidents of bullying, racism and sexism from patients and other staff.

The Medical Academy Annual Report was presented to a University Hospitals Birmingham NHS Foundation Trust board meeting, which revealed the data.

Keep ReadingShow less
Former police officer arrested in Rotherham investigation

Investigators believe the earlier offences happened between 1995 and 2002 (Photo for representation: iStock)

Former police officer arrested in Rotherham investigation

A FORMER police officer has been arrested in connection with the ongoing investigation into child sexual abuse in Rotherham, authorities revealed on Tuesday (1).

The former constable, who is in his 50s, was taken into custody on Monday (31). He is suspected of raping a teenage girl in the South Yorkshire town in 2004, according to officials.

Keep ReadingShow less
Modi Xi

Narendra Modi and Xi Jinping during their meeting in October 2024.

75 years of India-China relations: Modi, Xi call for stronger ties

INDIAN prime minister Narendra Modi and Chinese president Xi Jinping exchanged messages on Tuesday to mark the 75th anniversary of India-China diplomatic relations.

Modi stated that the development of bilateral ties contributes to global stability and a multipolar world, while Xi called for a "dragon-elephant tango" to strengthen cooperation between the two countries, China's state-run Xinhua news agency reported.

Keep ReadingShow less