Skip to content
Search

Latest Stories

'The Kashmir Files' is a vulgar propaganda movie. I can repeat it again and again': Israeli filmmaker Nadav Lapid

“I’m sure that the director is furious. I would be furious too if someone would talk about my film the same way.

'The Kashmir Files' is a vulgar propaganda movie. I can repeat it again and again': Israeli filmmaker Nadav Lapid

Offering a "total apology" if his remarks on "The Kashmir Files" had been misinterpreted, Israeli filmmaker Nadav Lapid has said his aim was not to insult the Kashmiri Pandit community or those who had suffered.

Lapid, who was the international jury chair at the recent International Film Festival of India (IFFI) and stirred massive controversy by terming the Vivek Agnihotri film "vulgar" and a "propaganda", reiterated that he only criticised the film for its "series of cinematic manipulations". "I didn't want to insult anyone. My aim was never to insult the people or their relatives, who have suffered. I totally apologise if that's the way they interpreted it," Lapid, who has left the country since his remarks at the closing ceremony of the 53rd edition of the festival in Goa this week, told news channel CNN-News18 on Wednesday night.


"But at the same time, whatever I said and I said clearly that for me and my fellow jury members, it was and it is a vulgar propaganda movie that didn't have a place and was inappropriate for such a prestigious competitive section. I can repeat it again and again," he added.

"The Kashmir Files", written and directed by Vivek Agnihotri, centres on the exodus of Kashmiri Pandits during militancy in the early 1990s. It was screened at the festival on November 22 under the Indian Panorama section.

The acclaimed director, known for his anti-establishment stance, said his remarks were neither a statement on the political situation in Kashmir nor a denial of the tragedy.

"I have enormous respect for the tragedy, victims, survivors and for whoever suffers there. It (my remarks) was not at all about this. I'll repeat these words 10,000 times if I have to say that I was not talking about the political issue, historical equation, or disrespecting the tragedy that happened in Kashmir," he said.

"I was talking about the movie and that such serious topics deserve, in my opinion, a serious film... ," he added. Lapid also dismissed claims made by IFFI international jury member Sudipto Sen, who had said the comments on Agnihotri's directorial were the Israeli director's "personal opinion".

"It wasn't a personal opinion at all," Lapid countered.

"We all thought that the movie used a series of manipulation, vulgar, violence because it was supposed to transmit a message that can cause hostility, violence and hate in the environment," he added.

A day after the controversy erupted, Agnihotri said he would quit filmmaking if intellectuals, including Lapid, were able to prove that events depicted in his film were false.

Asked to comment on Agnihotri's statement, the filmmaker said it was a natural reaction from the "The Kashmir Files" helmer.

"I'm sure that the director is furious. I would be furious too if someone would talk about my film the same way. My films are often looked upon as very controversial and polemic. Certain people have said some very harsh and horrible things about my movies.

"The filmmaker knows very well that the question is not what exactly were the facts. None of us (in the jury), especially myself, ever doubted the facts. I don't have any capacity, the tools to say what happened in Kashmir," Lapid, who lives mostly in France, said.

Lapid came under attack not just by "The Kashmir Files" team but also several BJP leaders and Israel's Ambassador to India Naor Gilon as well as its Consul General to Midwest India Kobbi Shoshani.

"Although he (Israeli ambassador) was absolutely aware of the fact that I was talking about the movie as propaganda, he blamed me for talking disrespectfully about the tragedy in Kashmir which is total nonsense. He is aware of it but he is a manipulator. He knew I was judging the movie as a filmmaker," he told the channel.

Lapid thanked IFFI for inviting him to be the head of the international jury.

"But since I was called to Goa in order to serve as the president of the jury as I did in dozens of festivals, the biggest ones like Cannes, Berlin, and others. My duty, my obligation was to tell the truth as I see it," he added.

More For You

Michael Theo

The Love on the Spectrum star makes his acting debut in BBC One’s new comedy

Getty Images

BBC star Michael Theo opens up about workplace bullying before ‘Austin’ debut

Michael Theo, star of BBC One’s new comedy Austin, has opened up about the difficult experiences he faced before breaking into acting. The Australian actor, who first gained recognition on Love on the Spectrum, described one of his previous jobs as the most stressful period of his life due to relentless bullying.

Theo recalled working at a kitchen manufacturing company, where he spent long hours sanding doors and handling hazardous chemicals. Instead of support from his colleagues, he was met with cruel insults. “I was called names every day. One person even told me I was a waste of oxygen,” he revealed. The experience took a toll on his mental well-being, but he never gave up on his dream.

Keep ReadingShow less
Salman Khan

Salman Khan’s £32,000 Ram Temple edition watch sparks controversy as a Muslim cleric calls it ‘haram and illegal’

Getty Images

Salman Khan slammed by Muslim cleric for wearing £32,000 Ayodhya Ram temple watch, calls it 'haram'

Bollywood superstar Salman Khan has found himself at the centre of a religious controversy after wearing a limited edition watch featuring the Ram Janmabhoomi temple design. The accessory, which was noticed during the promotions of his upcoming film Sikandar, has drawn criticism from Maulana Shahabuddin Razvi, president of the All India Muslim Jamaat.

Maulana Razvi has expressed strong disapproval, stating that as a Muslim, Salman Khan should avoid symbols associated with other religions. He referred to the act as “haram” (forbidden) under Islamic law and urged the actor to be mindful of his influence, especially given his large Muslim fan following.

Keep ReadingShow less
Varalaxmi Sarathkumar

Varalaxmi Sarathkumar breaks down on Dance Jodi Dance Reloaded 3 as she reveals being abused by six people as a child

Instagram/Varalaxmi Sarathkumar

Varalaxmi Sarathkumar reveals she was abused by six people as a child

In a deeply emotional moment on the sets of Zee Tamil’s dance reality show Dance Jodi Dance Reloaded 3, actor Varalaxmi Sarathkumar broke down while recounting her traumatic experience of being sexually abused as a child. The revelation came after contestant Kemy shared her own story of surviving harassment by family members. Moved by Kemy’s words, Varalaxmi revealed that she, too, had suffered similar abuse, with five to six people assaulting her when she was young.

The actor, known for her work in Tamil, Telugu, Malayalam, and Kannada films, explained that her parents, veteran actor Sarathkumar and Chaya were working at the time, leaving her in the care of others. “Your story is my story,” she told Kemy, hugging her in solidarity. “I don’t have children, but I always tell parents to teach kids about ‘good touch’ and ‘bad touch.’ It’s so important.”

Keep ReadingShow less
The curse of Karan Johar: How Bollywood’s ‘star maker’ keeps failing newcomers

Karan Johar

The curse of Karan Johar: How Bollywood’s ‘star maker’ keeps failing newcomers

A LOT has been said about Karan Johar being a brilliant mastermind when it comes to launching new talent, including children of famous film stars.

While he deserves some credit for working with newcomers, Johar’s track record with aspiring actors is poor, and for many, it has turned out to be more of a curse than a blessing. A strong first film typically sets up a debutant for a solid career in cinema, but when it fails, the individual is often left swimming against the tide. This is exactly what has happened with Ibrahim Ali Khan, whose recently released disastrous debut movie Nadaaniyan has been a major setback.

Keep ReadingShow less
Sofia Carson’s ‘The Life List’ Has Viewers Rethinking Their Relationships

Sofia Carson in The Life List – The Netflix rom-com that’s making viewers rethink their relationships

Instagram/netflixfilm

Sofia Carson’s new Netflix rom-com 'The Life List' is making viewers dump their partners

Sofia Carson’s latest romantic comedy, The Life List, is doing more than just entertaining audiences. In fact, it’s making them question their love lives. The Netflix film, set to release this Friday, has reportedly led several test viewers to break up with their partners after watching it.

Directed by Adam Brooks and based on Lori Nelson Spielman’s novel, the story follows Alex Rose, played by Carson, a woman at a turning point in her life. When her mother, portrayed by Connie Britton, passes away, Alex discovers an unusual condition in her will. To claim her inheritance, she must first complete the childhood bucket list she wrote at 13. The list includes challenges like performing stand-up comedy and diving into a mosh pit, but one task proves far more difficult: finding true love!

Keep ReadingShow less