Skip to content
Search

Latest Stories

Theresa May's two closest aides quit after election debacle

Prime minister Theresa May's two closest advisers, Nick Timothy and Fiona Hill, resigned today after taking responsibility for the poll debacle for the Conservative Party which lost its majority in the House of Commons.

Timothy and Hill, considered part of May's inner circle of confidants as her joint chiefs of staff, quit their Downing Street top jobs after coming under fire as the duo responsible for convincing May to call a snap general election with claims that she was assured a landslide victory.


According to reports, May had been given an ultimatum by her own Conservative party colleagues that the pair had to go if she wanted to avert a leadership challenge on Monday.

The duo are widely credited with running May's election campaign, which focused attention entirely on May rather than the Cabinet, a move that clearly did not pan out well as the Tories ended up losing their majority in the House of Commons and winning just 318 seats, well short of the 326 overall majority and forced to form a minority government with the support of Northern Ireland's regional Democratic Unionist Party (DUP).

Timothy accepted responsibility for his role in the Conservative party manifesto, criticised by many party MPs for its policies on social care and pension, which are believed to have cost heavily in the polls.

In a statement confirming his departure, Timothy said: "Clearly, the general election result was a huge disappointment. I take responsibility for my part in this election campaign.

"In particular, I regret the decision not to include in the manifesto a ceiling as well as a floor in our proposal to help meet the increasing cost of social care.

"But I would like to make clear that the bizarre media reports about my own role in the policy s inclusion are wrong: it had been the subject of many months of work within Whitehall, and it was not my personal pet project."

He also claimed that the Conservative party failed to notice the surge in Labour party support during the campaign.

Hill's departure was announced soon after by a Conservative party spokesperson as the news of Timothy's resignation went public.

The twin departures will ease some of the pressure on May, who was accused of ignoring party colleagues and taking unilateral decisions based on advice from her joint chiefs of staff, dubbed "toxic" by some Tories.

Katie Perrior, a former director of communications at No 10 Downing Street, said she respected May but her office was "pretty dysfunctional" with Timothy and Hill being accused of bullying behaviour.

Writing in the Times, she said: "What I could never work out was whether May condoned their behaviour and turned a blind eye or didn't understand how destructive they both were.

"For all the love of a hierarchy, the chiefs treated cabinet members exactly the same rude, abusive, childish behaviour.

"For two people who have never achieved elected office, I was staggered at the disrespect they showed on a daily basis.

"I never hated them. I felt sorry for them and how they measured success by how many enemies they had clocked up."

May has said she intends to stay as prime minister despite failing to win a Conservative majority in the election.

More For You

Sri Lanka forms committee to address UK sanctions
Anura Kumara Dissanayake

Sri Lanka forms committee to address UK sanctions

THE Sri Lanka government on Wednesday (2) formed a committee to recommend measures regarding the UK's decision to impose sanctions on three former military commanders who led the campaign that crushed the Liberation Tigers of Tamil Eelam (LTTE) in 2009.

Health minister Nalinda Jayatissa told reporters that foreign minister Vijitha Herath, justice minister Harshana Nanayakkara and deputy minister of defence Aruna Jayasekara would comprise the committee that would consult experts for the purpose.

Keep ReadingShow less
Gujarat-blast-ANI

The blast caused the factory’s concrete roof to collapse, scattering debris and body parts across the area, officials confirmed. (Photo: ANI)

ANI

Death toll rises to 21 in Gujarat firework factory explosion

AN EXPLOSION at an illegal firecracker factory in Gujarat's Deesa town killed 21 people and injured several others on Tuesday, officials said.

The blast caused the factory’s concrete roof to collapse, scattering debris and body parts across the area, officials confirmed.

Keep ReadingShow less
Child benefit payments set to rise for UK families

Child benefit, normally paid every four weeks directly into bank accounts, has undergone significant changes in recent months (Photo: Getty Images)

Child benefit payments set to rise for UK families

MILLIONS of British families are set to receive a financial boost as child benefit payments increase from April 7, according to HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC).

From next week, parents will receive £26.05 per week for the eldest or only child, amounting to £1,354.60 annually - up from the current rate of £25.60. For each additional child, payments will rise to £17.25 weekly, totalling £897 per year - an increase from the present £16.95 rate. This represents a 1.7 per cent increase across all payment categories.

Keep ReadingShow less
Anant Ambani Walks 140 Km in Spiritual Tribute on 30th Birthday

Anant’s padyatra is a reflection of the larger cultural fabric of India

Getty

Anant Ambani embarks on a 140-kilometer spiritual journey on foot to celebrate 30th birthday

Anant Ambani, a director of Reliance Industries Limited and a prominent figure in Indian industry, has chosen a unique and spiritual way to mark his 30th birthday. As part of his celebrations, he is currently undertaking a padyatra—a traditional pilgrimage on foot—from Jamnagar to Dwarka, covering a distance of approximately 140 kilometres. The journey reflects his devotion to Lord Dwarkadhish, the presiding deity of the Dwarkadhish Temple in the city of Dwarka.

Anant began his journey from his family’s residence in Moti Khavdi, Jamnagar, and has been progressing steadily for the past five days. Walking an estimated 10-12 kilometres each night, he travels under the protection of Z+ security and local police, ensuring his safety during this significant journey. The padyatra is expected to take between seven to nine days in total, with plans to conclude at the Dwarkadhish Temple in time for his birthday on April 10.

Keep ReadingShow less
New TB action plan proposed as cases surge

Government urged experts to come forward to help draw up a new five-year TB action plan. (Photo: Getty Images)

New TB action plan proposed as cases surge

BRITAIN on Wednesday (2) urged health experts and sufferers of tuberculosis (TB) to come forward to help draw up a new five-year action plan as it deals with record rises in the disease.

In 2023, England recorded its largest annual increase (11 per cent) in cases since enhanced surveillance began in 2000.

Keep ReadingShow less