Skip to content
Search
Please enter at least 3 characters.

Latest Stories

'This is terrible and disturbing': Ex-envoy to UK Ruchi Ghanashyam on Leicester violence

“I hope that the UK authorities and the government in the UK look at this in a very, very serious manner.”

'This is terrible and disturbing': Ex-envoy to UK Ruchi Ghanashyam on Leicester violence

Following the eruption of clashes in the British city of Leicester due to the defeat of Pakistan by India in the Asia Cup match on August 28, former Indian High Commissioner to the United Kingdom, Ruchi Ghanashyam said that the incident is very disturbing and a development of grave concern. "This is very terrible and disturbing. Though I would tend to see it more as a India-Pakistan issue or rather people of Pakistan origin largely would be involved. There is a large number of Muslims of Indian origin in the Midlands of England. And I have during my time in the UK had some very close interactions with several of them who are very attached to India. So, I don't see them or people from India being involved in such violence", said the former High Commissioner.

"Whatever has happened is a development of grave concern. And I hope that the UK authorities and the government in the UK look at this in a very, very serious manner", she added.


Recalling such violence in the past too, the former High Commissioner said that though she doesn't recall anything like this happening in the city of Leicester, such incidents had occurred in other parts such as London when the violent protests took place outside the Indian high commission in London in 2019 when Independence Day was celebrated.

"I have personally experienced this during my stay in the UK. On one occasion, over 5,000 people of Pakistani origin had surrounded the India House where our high commission was and it was several hours of loud sloganeering offensive behaviour, the frozen water bottles being hurled at the building, stones and rods being thrown due to which one of the windows of the high commission was broken and all kinds of rowdy behaviour was witnessed on that occasion as Indian origin people who had come to celebrate India's independence day were trapped between these two groups of protesters," the former envoy said recalling her experience in the UK.

She further said, "Moreover, the police are autonomous and I think to some extent the unruly elements take advantage of this and they flirt with the boundaries of law so that they create mayhem while remaining more or less within the boundaries of law or if at all, they reach it and they try to get away from it. That is something for the government of the UK to look at."

As per an official statement by the Leicestershire police, the violence erupted on Saturday evening after a group of men staged an 'unplanned protest.'

"Parts of East Leicester experienced serious disorder yesterday evening (Saturday 17 September) into this morning (Sunday) when large crowds formed after groups of young men began an unplanned protest," the statement read.

Officers tried to "engage" with a group travelling towards Green Lane Road and "sought to keep actions lawful but, regrettably, the situation led to disorder", the police said.

The statement said two men had been arrested, one on "suspicion of conspiracy to commit violent disorder", and the other on "suspicion of possession of a bladed article".

More For You

Donald Trump

Trump announced a series of tariff increases targeting various nations, including key US allies such as the UK and the European Union.

Getty Images

Trump’s tariffs hit global markets, Starmer warns of 'economic impact'

The UK and other global economies reacted on Thursday to US president Donald Trump's newly imposed tariffs, with prime minister Keir Starmer warning of an “economic impact” from the 10 per cent levy on British exports.

Trump announced a series of tariff increases targeting various nations, including key US allies such as the UK and the European Union.

Keep ReadingShow less
India told to prepare for deadly rise in temperatures

The country can expect more heatwave days this year

India told to prepare for deadly rise in temperatures

INDIA can expect hotter-thanusual temperatures this summer with more heatwave days taking a toll on lives and livelihoods, the weather office warned.

The country is no stranger to scorching summers, but years of scientific research has found climate change is causing heatwaves to become longer, more frequent and more intense.

Keep ReadingShow less
Tower Hamlets secures funding to save domestic abuse support jobs

The planned strike action was called off after the external funding was secured

Tower Hamlets secures funding to save domestic abuse support jobs

Ruby Gregory

REDUNDANCY proposals which would have seen job cuts made to a ‘crucial’ domestic abuse support service in Tower Hamlets have been called off.

Solace Women’s Aid, which planned to make cuts, confirmed last Friday (28) the redundancies were no longer going ahead, following a boost in external funding which followed a threat of strike action.

Keep ReadingShow less
Report reveals Birmingham’s doctors face racism and bullying
Absences have risen at the Queen Elizabeth and Heartlands Hospitals in Birmingham, as well as Good Hope in Sutton and Solihull Hospital

Report reveals Birmingham’s doctors face racism and bullying

Gurdip Thandi

YOUNG doctors in Birmingham hospitals face a ‘shocking’ number of incidents of bullying, racism and sexism from patients and other staff.

The Medical Academy Annual Report was presented to a University Hospitals Birmingham NHS Foundation Trust board meeting, which revealed the data.

Keep ReadingShow less
Former police officer arrested in Rotherham investigation

Investigators believe the earlier offences happened between 1995 and 2002 (Photo for representation: iStock)

Former police officer arrested in Rotherham investigation

A FORMER police officer has been arrested in connection with the ongoing investigation into child sexual abuse in Rotherham, authorities revealed on Tuesday (1).

The former constable, who is in his 50s, was taken into custody on Monday (31). He is suspected of raping a teenage girl in the South Yorkshire town in 2004, according to officials.

Keep ReadingShow less