Skip to content
Search

Latest Stories

Three Poole restaurateurs banned for tax offences

THREE restaurant bosses have been disqualified for a total of 18 years after submitting inaccurate tax returns.

Jalal Ahmed, 50, of Southsea, Satokh Singh Dhanda, 62, and Mohammad Motiur Rahman, 56, both of Southampton, were directors of the Rancho Steak House (Poole) Ltd.


Dhanda’s ban is effective from December 26, 2019, Ahmed’s from January 3, 2020, and Mohammad Rahman’s from January 7.

The trio’s disqualifications mean they cannot, directly or indirectly, be involved in the formation, promotion or management of a company without the prior permission of the court for a period of six years.

The business, formerly of Dolphin Quays, Poole, was incorporated in 2011 and traded as a South American-style restaurant.

Between April 2012 and July 2017, the company filed tax returns totalling over £410,000, making payments of £375,000 against them.

Following various enquiries by the tax authorities, however, it was uncovered that the company had under-declared tax owed by £120,000.

The tax authorities also advised Rancho Steak House that due to the under-declaration, the company had made additional profits and as a result owed more in corporation tax.

The directors also owed outstanding tax on loans they received through the company and had made pay-as-you-earn and national insurance errors.

In 2018, Rancho Steak House entered Creditors Voluntary Liquidation after the tax authorities made a claim worth just over £810,000, triggering further investigations by the Insolvency Service into the conduct of the directors.

Last year, the Secretary of State accepted disqualification undertakings from the three directors for six years each after they did not dispute that they had failed to ensure accurate tax information was sent to HRMC.

Dave Elliott, chief investigator for the Insolvency Service, said: “The directors failed to submit accurate information to HMRC resulting in an under-declaration of taxes due. These actions deprive the exchequer of monies needed to provide public services.

“These disqualifications mean that the directors will not be able to run a limited company for six years, and this will help to protect HMRC from future losses.”

More For You

single-use vapes-iStock

Analysis by Material Focus estimates that 8.2 million vapes are discarded or littered each week in the UK—equivalent to 13 every second. (Representational image: iStock)

iStock

Shops told to clear single-use vapes before ban starts on June 1

SHOPS across the UK have until 1 June 2025 to sell off remaining stocks of single-use vapes before a nationwide ban comes into force.

The legislation, confirmed last year, follows a government consultation that showed strong support for restricting their sale and supply.

Keep ReadingShow less
Primark-London-Getty

During his 15-year tenure, Marchant expanded Primark’s store network to more than 450 locations across 17 countries in Europe and the United States. (Photo: Reuters)

Primark chief Paul Marchant steps down after misconduct probe

PAUL MARCHANT, the head of fashion retailer Primark, has resigned with immediate effect after admitting to an "error of judgment" in his behaviour towards a woman in a social setting.

Associated British Foods (AB Foods), Primark's parent company, announced his resignation on Monday.

Keep ReadingShow less
Jaguar’s bold gamble: Can it woo young, wealthy drivers with a £123k EV?

Jaguar’s bold gamble: Can it woo young, wealthy drivers with a £123k EV?

JAGUAR’S ambition to seduce younger, richer drivers was on full display in Paris with a presentation of its newest prototype, the Type 00, which promises all-electric luxury... at a steep price.

The low-slung, muscular-looking concept car presented to European reporters last Friday (21) prefigures a production model expected mid-2026 at a base cost of €150,000 (£123,472.8).

Keep ReadingShow less
Starmer-Trump-Getty

Trump has suggested the possibility of a 'great' trade deal that could help the UK mitigate the impact of tariffs he has pledged to introduce. (Photo: Getty Images)

Starmer, Trump talk trade deal progress in 'productive' discussion

KEIR STARMER and Donald Trump spoke on Sunday about ongoing UK-US trade negotiations, with Downing Street describing the talks as "productive."

Since leaving the European Union, the UK has been working to secure a trade agreement with the United States. Successive British governments have pursued a deal, but it has remained elusive.

Keep ReadingShow less
modi-trump-getty
Trump shakes hands with Modi during a joint press conference at Hyderabad House in New Delhi on February 25, 2020. (Photo: Getty Images)

India-US trade talks end with no sign of tariff relief

INDIA and the United States have agreed to move forward on finalising a part of their bilateral trade deal this year, but there was no indication of any tariff relief for India.

Trade discussions took place in New Delhi ahead of the implementation of US president Donald Trump's new trade tariff regime, which includes import levies on India, set to take effect from 2 April.

Keep ReadingShow less