Skip to content
Search

Latest Stories

Toyota, Domino's apologise over Kashmir tweet as fracas entangles more companies

Toyota, Domino's apologise over Kashmir tweet as fracas entangles more companies

GLOBAL automaker Toyota Motor and fast food chain Domino's Pizza are among half a dozen companies that have apologised to India for social media posts from their Pakistani partners expressing support for disputed Kashmir, as more companies got caught up in the diplomatic fracas.

The apology comes after a rare diplomatic escalation between South Korea and India on Tuesday (8) over social media posts by Hyundai Motors' Pakistani partner, which caused an uproar in India and calls to boycott the carmaker.


Japan's Suzuki Motor, majority owner of India's biggest carmaker Maruti Suzuki, Honda Motor and Isuzu Motor, South Korea's Kia Motors and Yum! Brands' KFC also issued apologies as criticism grew on Twitter over the social media posts.

The affray highlights the risks global companies face while navigating sensitivities amid rising nationalism in South Asia, and is prompting them to take steps to strengthen their social media policies to protect their brand.

The row erupted on Sunday (6), a day after several companies posted messages on social media to mark Kashmir Solidarity Day, commemorated annually by Pakistan on Feb. 5 to honour the sacrifices of Kashmiris struggling for self-determination.

India and arch-rival Pakistan control parts of Kashmir but both claim the Himalayan territory in full.

India says Pakistan supports an armed insurrection against New Delhi's rule in India-controlled Kashmir that broke out in 1990. Pakistan denies the charge and says it only provides diplomatic and moral support for the Kashmiri people.

Toyota, the world's biggest carmaker, said on Twitter that any political statements made by its dealers or other partners were not authorised and do not reflect its corporate stance.

"We regret any hurt this may have caused," the company said, adding it was putting in place measures to prevent the misuse of its brand and a recurrence of such situations.

Suzuki issued a similar apology, adding it does not align with any political or religious groups.

Hyundai, India's second-largest car seller, faced the most severe backlash, with hundreds of social media users calling for an apology. Dozens in India also said they would cancel their car orders. The automaker apologised on Tuesday, saying it deeply regretted any offence caused to Indians.

Yet, dozens of members of the youth wing of India's opposition Congress party gathered outside one of Hyundai's showrooms in the western city of Ahmedabad in protest.

Some held banners saying "Boycott Hyundai" and demanded the company tweet that Kashmir is an integral part of India.

"We are protesting against Hyundai's comments on Kashmir, its attempts to disturb the peace in India and for the sacrifice our soldiers have made to protect Kashmir and the nation," said Gaurang Makvana, a member of the youth Congress.

(Reuters)

More For You

single-use vapes-iStock

Analysis by Material Focus estimates that 8.2 million vapes are discarded or littered each week in the UK—equivalent to 13 every second. (Representational image: iStock)

iStock

Shops told to clear single-use vapes before ban starts on June 1

SHOPS across the UK have until 1 June 2025 to sell off remaining stocks of single-use vapes before a nationwide ban comes into force.

The legislation, confirmed last year, follows a government consultation that showed strong support for restricting their sale and supply.

Keep ReadingShow less
Primark-London-Getty

During his 15-year tenure, Marchant expanded Primark’s store network to more than 450 locations across 17 countries in Europe and the United States. (Photo: Reuters)

Primark chief Paul Marchant steps down after misconduct probe

PAUL MARCHANT, the head of fashion retailer Primark, has resigned with immediate effect after admitting to an "error of judgment" in his behaviour towards a woman in a social setting.

Associated British Foods (AB Foods), Primark's parent company, announced his resignation on Monday.

Keep ReadingShow less
Jaguar’s bold gamble: Can it woo young, wealthy drivers with a £123k EV?

Jaguar’s bold gamble: Can it woo young, wealthy drivers with a £123k EV?

JAGUAR’S ambition to seduce younger, richer drivers was on full display in Paris with a presentation of its newest prototype, the Type 00, which promises all-electric luxury... at a steep price.

The low-slung, muscular-looking concept car presented to European reporters last Friday (21) prefigures a production model expected mid-2026 at a base cost of €150,000 (£123,472.8).

Keep ReadingShow less
Starmer-Trump-Getty

Trump has suggested the possibility of a 'great' trade deal that could help the UK mitigate the impact of tariffs he has pledged to introduce. (Photo: Getty Images)

Starmer, Trump talk trade deal progress in 'productive' discussion

KEIR STARMER and Donald Trump spoke on Sunday about ongoing UK-US trade negotiations, with Downing Street describing the talks as "productive."

Since leaving the European Union, the UK has been working to secure a trade agreement with the United States. Successive British governments have pursued a deal, but it has remained elusive.

Keep ReadingShow less
modi-trump-getty
Trump shakes hands with Modi during a joint press conference at Hyderabad House in New Delhi on February 25, 2020. (Photo: Getty Images)

India-US trade talks end with no sign of tariff relief

INDIA and the United States have agreed to move forward on finalising a part of their bilateral trade deal this year, but there was no indication of any tariff relief for India.

Trade discussions took place in New Delhi ahead of the implementation of US president Donald Trump's new trade tariff regime, which includes import levies on India, set to take effect from 2 April.

Keep ReadingShow less