Skip to content
Search

Latest Stories

Two Leicester youths jailed for online scam

TWO men have been sentenced to jail by a British court for their role in an eBay scam.

The money launderers were involved in the scam that cheated innocent consumers, who paid for imaginary vehicles.


The Leicester Crown Court jailed the duo, Muaadh Sameja, 30, and Jay Raniga, 20, who were recruited by scam organisers to get the cash into their accounts and pass it on during the period between 2016 and 2017.

Sameja of Belgrave and Raniga of Hamilton admitted to various counts involving a total of 14 offences.

The offences include fraud, possessing, converting, and transferring criminal property.

Sameja was sentenced to 18 months in jail. He was also ordered to attend a Thinking Skills course and placed on a 16-week-long electronically monitored curfew between 00.07pm and 06.00am.

Raniga was sentenced to a 59-week detention sentence, with a two-week rehabilitation requirement.

He was also asked by the court to carry out 140 hours of unpaid work.

The two were also suspended for 24 months.

Two bogus motor car companies on eBay advertised vehicles, including two BMWs, a Peugeot, a Renault, a Vauxhall, a Range Rover Evoque, and a VW Golf.

The victims made the purchases, having seen second-hand vehicles on e-Bay.

The fraudsters of the scam arranged to purchase the vehicles over the phone with someone they thought was a salesperson.

The anonymous salesperson would gave them details of the accounts to pay the money into.

Lynsey Knott, prosecuting at Leicester Crown Court, said: "These two defendants, and others not before the court, were involved in offering vehicles for sale on eBay, which they didn't deliver when customers parted with their money.

"The money was then moved out of the defendants' accounts in cash and various transfers were made."

Some of the six victims, who spent thousands of pounds on imaginary seven vehicles, lost their valuable sum in the scam.

Others had loaned money to purchase the vehicles. One among the victims lost an estimated £8,000 inheritance.

More For You

‘All options on the table’ as Britain
prepares for likelihood of US tariffs

Sir Keir Starmer with Jonathan Reynolds

‘All options on the table’ as Britain prepares for likelihood of US tariffs

BRITAIN is likely to be hit by US tariffs despite making “rapid progress” over a trade deal with Washington, prime minister Sir Keir Starmer said on Tuesday (1).

He spoke as US trading partners around the world braced for an expected fresh raft of tariffs from president Donald Trump, in addition to levies already imposed on steel and those set to take effect this week on cars.

Keep ReadingShow less
single-use vapes-iStock

Analysis by Material Focus estimates that 8.2 million vapes are discarded or littered each week in the UK—equivalent to 13 every second. (Representational image: iStock)

iStock

Shops told to clear single-use vapes before ban starts on June 1

SHOPS across the UK have until 1 June 2025 to sell off remaining stocks of single-use vapes before a nationwide ban comes into force.

The legislation, confirmed last year, follows a government consultation that showed strong support for restricting their sale and supply.

Keep ReadingShow less
Primark-London-Getty

During his 15-year tenure, Marchant expanded Primark’s store network to more than 450 locations across 17 countries in Europe and the United States. (Photo: Reuters)

Primark chief Paul Marchant steps down after misconduct probe

PAUL MARCHANT, the head of fashion retailer Primark, has resigned with immediate effect after admitting to an "error of judgment" in his behaviour towards a woman in a social setting.

Associated British Foods (AB Foods), Primark's parent company, announced his resignation on Monday.

Keep ReadingShow less
Jaguar’s bold gamble: Can it woo young, wealthy drivers with a £123k EV?

Jaguar’s bold gamble: Can it woo young, wealthy drivers with a £123k EV?

JAGUAR’S ambition to seduce younger, richer drivers was on full display in Paris with a presentation of its newest prototype, the Type 00, which promises all-electric luxury... at a steep price.

The low-slung, muscular-looking concept car presented to European reporters last Friday (21) prefigures a production model expected mid-2026 at a base cost of €150,000 (£123,472.8).

Keep ReadingShow less
Starmer-Trump-Getty

Trump has suggested the possibility of a 'great' trade deal that could help the UK mitigate the impact of tariffs he has pledged to introduce. (Photo: Getty Images)

Starmer, Trump talk trade deal progress in 'productive' discussion

KEIR STARMER and Donald Trump spoke on Sunday about ongoing UK-US trade negotiations, with Downing Street describing the talks as "productive."

Since leaving the European Union, the UK has been working to secure a trade agreement with the United States. Successive British governments have pursued a deal, but it has remained elusive.

Keep ReadingShow less