Skip to content
Search

Latest Stories

UK to ensure security of Indian mission after Khalistani vandalism

On Sunday, involved Khalistani protesters waving separatist flags, had attempted to grab the Indian flag flying above the building

UK to ensure security of Indian mission after Khalistani vandalism

British officials have denounced the recent vandalism at the Indian High Commission by pro-Khalistani protesters, calling it "disgraceful" and "completely unacceptable".

They have also stated that the UK government will prioritise the security of the mission going forward. The incident, which took place on Sunday (19) involved protesters waving separatist Khalistani flags and attempting to grab the Indian flag flying above the building.


One person has been arrested in connection with the violent disorder.

Officials from the Indian mission reported that the attack on the building had been unsuccessful and that the national flag was now displayed more prominently.

The Metropolitan Police has stated that two security staff members sustained minor injuries and an investigation into the incident has been initiated.

London Mayor Sadiq Khan condemned the violent behavior and vandalism, stating on Twitter "There is no place in our city for this kind of behaviour".

While the British High Commissioner to India Alex Ellis described the incident as "disgraceful" and "totally unacceptable".

Lord Tariq Ahmad of Wimbledon, Foreign Office minister, expressed his dismay at the incident and affirmed that the government would prioritise the security of the Indian High Commission.

"This is a completely unacceptable action against the integrity of the Mission and its staff," he tweeted.

According to a statement by the Metropolitan Police, they were summoned on Sunday afternoon in response to reports of disorder, with the incident occurring at the High Commission building where windows were reportedly smashed.

Upon arrival, most of the individuals involved had already left the scene. The police initiated an investigation, and a man was subsequently apprehended in the vicinity on suspicion of violent disorder. The police state that their inquiries are ongoing.

India, on the other hand, expressed its strong protest to the British government regarding the security of its diplomatic presence and questioned the lack of adequate protection at the location.

Videos from the scene show an Indian official grabbing the flag from a protester through the first-floor window of the mission, while the protester is seen hanging off its ledge and waving a Khalistan flag before it is taken away. Also, images of shattered windows and men climbing the India House building were circulating on social media.

According to the Ministry of Foreign Affairs (MEA), the senior-most UK diplomat in New Delhi, was called in late Sunday night to express India's vehement displeasure over the activities committed by separatist and extremist forces against the Indian High Commission in London.

An explanation was demanded for the complete absence of British security that allowed these elements to enter the High Commission premises. She was reminded in this regard of the basic obligations of the UK Government under the Vienna Convention, the MEA statement said.

India finds unacceptable the indifference of the UK government to the security of Indian diplomatic premises and personnel in the UK, the statement said.

"It is expected that the UK Government would take immediate steps to identify, arrest and prosecute each one of those involved in today's incident, and put in place stringent measures to prevent the recurrence of such incidents, it said.

With inputs from PTI

More For You

Sri Lanka forms committee to address UK sanctions
Anura Kumara Dissanayake

Sri Lanka forms committee to address UK sanctions

THE Sri Lanka government on Wednesday (2) formed a committee to recommend measures regarding the UK's decision to impose sanctions on three former military commanders who led the campaign that crushed the Liberation Tigers of Tamil Eelam (LTTE) in 2009.

Health minister Nalinda Jayatissa told reporters that foreign minister Vijitha Herath, justice minister Harshana Nanayakkara and deputy minister of defence Aruna Jayasekara would comprise the committee that would consult experts for the purpose.

Keep ReadingShow less
Gujarat-blast-ANI

The blast caused the factory’s concrete roof to collapse, scattering debris and body parts across the area, officials confirmed. (Photo: ANI)

ANI

Death toll rises to 21 in Gujarat firework factory explosion

AN EXPLOSION at an illegal firecracker factory in Gujarat's Deesa town killed 21 people and injured several others on Tuesday, officials said.

The blast caused the factory’s concrete roof to collapse, scattering debris and body parts across the area, officials confirmed.

Keep ReadingShow less
Child benefit payments set to rise for UK families

Child benefit, normally paid every four weeks directly into bank accounts, has undergone significant changes in recent months (Photo: Getty Images)

Child benefit payments set to rise for UK families

MILLIONS of British families are set to receive a financial boost as child benefit payments increase from April 7, according to HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC).

From next week, parents will receive £26.05 per week for the eldest or only child, amounting to £1,354.60 annually - up from the current rate of £25.60. For each additional child, payments will rise to £17.25 weekly, totalling £897 per year - an increase from the present £16.95 rate. This represents a 1.7 per cent increase across all payment categories.

Keep ReadingShow less
Anant Ambani Walks 140 Km in Spiritual Tribute on 30th Birthday

Anant’s padyatra is a reflection of the larger cultural fabric of India

Getty

Anant Ambani embarks on a 140-kilometer spiritual journey on foot to celebrate 30th birthday

Anant Ambani, a director of Reliance Industries Limited and a prominent figure in Indian industry, has chosen a unique and spiritual way to mark his 30th birthday. As part of his celebrations, he is currently undertaking a padyatra—a traditional pilgrimage on foot—from Jamnagar to Dwarka, covering a distance of approximately 140 kilometres. The journey reflects his devotion to Lord Dwarkadhish, the presiding deity of the Dwarkadhish Temple in the city of Dwarka.

Anant began his journey from his family’s residence in Moti Khavdi, Jamnagar, and has been progressing steadily for the past five days. Walking an estimated 10-12 kilometres each night, he travels under the protection of Z+ security and local police, ensuring his safety during this significant journey. The padyatra is expected to take between seven to nine days in total, with plans to conclude at the Dwarkadhish Temple in time for his birthday on April 10.

Keep ReadingShow less
New TB action plan proposed as cases surge

Government urged experts to come forward to help draw up a new five-year TB action plan. (Photo: Getty Images)

New TB action plan proposed as cases surge

BRITAIN on Wednesday (2) urged health experts and sufferers of tuberculosis (TB) to come forward to help draw up a new five-year action plan as it deals with record rises in the disease.

In 2023, England recorded its largest annual increase (11 per cent) in cases since enhanced surveillance began in 2000.

Keep ReadingShow less