Skip to content
Search

Latest Stories

UK councils face £3 billion financial black hole due to Covid

COUNCILS in the UK are facing a budget deficit of £3 billion as they emerge from heavy spending made during the Covid-19 pandemic, according to an investigation by the BBC.

Around 10 councils have asked to borrow £300 million of emergency money from the government to fix financial holes, while some local authorities faced the risk of bankruptcy.


The government gave £12bn to councils during the pandemic.

A spokesman for the ministry of housing, communities and local government (MHCLG) said, "In the coming months, we will take stock of the demands faced by councils and the resources available to meet them and will decide on the timetable for future funding reform."

The BBC analysed a total of 170 upper tier and single tier councils to determine how their finances are placed.

It found that local authorities plan to make at least £1.7bn worth of savings in the 2021-22 financial year while using more than £500m worth of reserves to balance the books.

Almost a quarter of the savings will be made in adult social care departments. Despite making these cuts, local authorities predict a £3bn shortfall in their budgets by 2023-24.

Moreover, 60 per cent of councils in England have risen council tax by the new statutory maximum of 4.99 per cent to compensate for losses.

Besides, fees and charges for parking, planning and crematoria are set to rises in places.

In the London borough of Bexley, 264 staff posts will be deleted, while library opening hours and road repairs will be reduced.

Sharon Taylor, a Labour councillor who chairs the Local Government Association's resources board, said the pandemic highlighted an existing funding crisis brought about by a cut in central government grants.

She said "Cuts to local government hurt people and they hurt the everyday services people see when they walk outside their door."

Since the start of the pandemic, councils were asked to provide extra services, such as home food deliveries for those shielding, finding accommodation for street sleepers and, in some cases, helping with the test and trace initiative.

They also had to supply workers with Personal Protective Equipment (PPE).

Meanwhile, their income from town centre parking, council tax and business rates plummeted during the pandemic.

In several cases, councils have also lost revenue from private investments.

Croydon Council, which borrowed £545m to make a series of investments including a shopping centre and a hotel, declared itself bankrupt in November 2020.

Taylor said the government had encouraged councils to invest in commercial property to raise funds.

She said: "(It) seems to have a very ambiguous attitude towards that now, and is saying those investments were down to us and if we've lost income they are not going to make up for those losses."

More For You

‘All options on the table’ as Britain
prepares for likelihood of US tariffs

Sir Keir Starmer with Jonathan Reynolds

‘All options on the table’ as Britain prepares for likelihood of US tariffs

BRITAIN is likely to be hit by US tariffs despite making “rapid progress” over a trade deal with Washington, prime minister Sir Keir Starmer said on Tuesday (1).

He spoke as US trading partners around the world braced for an expected fresh raft of tariffs from president Donald Trump, in addition to levies already imposed on steel and those set to take effect this week on cars.

Keep ReadingShow less
single-use vapes-iStock

Analysis by Material Focus estimates that 8.2 million vapes are discarded or littered each week in the UK—equivalent to 13 every second. (Representational image: iStock)

iStock

Shops told to clear single-use vapes before ban starts on June 1

SHOPS across the UK have until 1 June 2025 to sell off remaining stocks of single-use vapes before a nationwide ban comes into force.

The legislation, confirmed last year, follows a government consultation that showed strong support for restricting their sale and supply.

Keep ReadingShow less
Primark-London-Getty

During his 15-year tenure, Marchant expanded Primark’s store network to more than 450 locations across 17 countries in Europe and the United States. (Photo: Reuters)

Primark chief Paul Marchant steps down after misconduct probe

PAUL MARCHANT, the head of fashion retailer Primark, has resigned with immediate effect after admitting to an "error of judgment" in his behaviour towards a woman in a social setting.

Associated British Foods (AB Foods), Primark's parent company, announced his resignation on Monday.

Keep ReadingShow less
Jaguar’s bold gamble: Can it woo young, wealthy drivers with a £123k EV?

Jaguar’s bold gamble: Can it woo young, wealthy drivers with a £123k EV?

JAGUAR’S ambition to seduce younger, richer drivers was on full display in Paris with a presentation of its newest prototype, the Type 00, which promises all-electric luxury... at a steep price.

The low-slung, muscular-looking concept car presented to European reporters last Friday (21) prefigures a production model expected mid-2026 at a base cost of €150,000 (£123,472.8).

Keep ReadingShow less
Starmer-Trump-Getty

Trump has suggested the possibility of a 'great' trade deal that could help the UK mitigate the impact of tariffs he has pledged to introduce. (Photo: Getty Images)

Starmer, Trump talk trade deal progress in 'productive' discussion

KEIR STARMER and Donald Trump spoke on Sunday about ongoing UK-US trade negotiations, with Downing Street describing the talks as "productive."

Since leaving the European Union, the UK has been working to secure a trade agreement with the United States. Successive British governments have pursued a deal, but it has remained elusive.

Keep ReadingShow less