Skip to content
Search

Latest Stories

UK curry capital Brick Lane struggling to survive, say experts

by LAUREN CODLING

A RESTAURANT owner has expressed concerns for the future of Brick Lane, the so-called “UK curry capital” as a new report warned the Covid-19 pandemic has exacerbated the serious challenges faced by the industry.


Shams Uddin is the owner of The Monsoon on Brick Lane, east London. Since the government shut down all restaurants during lockdown in March, Uddin admitted he has fears for the industry as many owners struggle to make money.

Despite The Monsoon reopening in early July, Uddin claimed his restaurant has had a minimal number of customers. Last Sunday evening (2), Uddin served only 13 customers during his shift. Typically, he believes the eatery would have averaged between 95 and 120 customers.

“Everyone in Brick Lane is worried for their jobs,” he told Eastern Eye on Monday (3). “We used to get so many workers here, but now office people won’t come as so many people are working from home. We used to serve a lot of tourists too, but there are no tourists now. That has had a big impact on our business.”

His comments follow the release of a new report by race equality think-tank Runnymede Trust last week, which warned of a “steep decline” in Brick Lane’s south Asian-owned curry restaurants and cafes, with a decrease of 62 per cent in just 15 years.

According to Beyond Banglatown - Continuity, change and new urban economies in Brick Lane, curry houses are struggling with rising costs, such as rents and business rates and a shortage of trained chefs due to visa constraints on recruiting chefs from south Asia.

Dr Zubaida Haque, interim director of Runnymede Trust, said the Covid-19 crisis had “severely impacted” Brick Lane which she noted had already been decimated by gentrification, and restrictive visa requirements. “The Bangladeshi-run curry restaurants are among the hardest hit by the shutdown caused by the pandemic – Covid-19 is not only a health crisis it is also economic, and we urge government and the mayor of London to step in with strong business and financial support to help weather this harsh economic storm,” Dr Haque said.

On Monday, the government launched the Eat Out to Help Out scheme. The initiative, designed to encourage diners to eat out in exchange for a 50 per cent discount, will run until August 31.

However, Uddin is not convinced the scheme will work. “People have lost their jobs (during the pandemic) – they will be more worried about their rent and bills,” he said. “They can give people discount but people will only come (to restaurants) if they have money.

He added: “(The chancellor) Rishi Sunak can cut VAT and have as many voucher schemes as he likes, but if you don’t have any customers what’s the point?”

The popularity of ready meals sold in supermarkets has had an impact on the industry too, Uddin claimed. For instance, Asda sells a range of cheap Indian takeaway ready-meals; an Indian chicken korma and chicken tikka masala meal for two people is priced at £7.

“Supermarket ready meals are having a big impact on business too,” he said. “They may be great for the consumer, but it is deadly for the Indian takeaway and restaurant business.”

The report has recommended the government provide significant financial support to the Bangladeshi-run restaurant trade; develop borough planning support through ground-floor property usage restrictions, capping of rents and extension of licensing hours; and provide training and support to restaurant owners to adapt to a changing business environment.

Agreeing with the recommendations, Uddin has called for the government to consider offering help to the industry before more damage is done. “If you walk through Banglatown during an evening, you’d be surprised – it is a ghost town,” he said. “Brick Lane needs support – the industry needs to survive, but you have to bring customers here to keep it alive. The government needs to think about (what they can do).”

Professor Claire Alexander, professor of sociology at the University of Manchester and co-author of the report, said the loss of Banglatown represented the loss of a “rich history of migration, settlement and the struggle to belong in multi-cultural Britain”.

Bashir Ahmed, an award-winning restaurateur and the president of the British Bangladesh Chamber of Commerce & Industry, believes Brick  Lane would not survive much longer as the UK’s curry capital if it was not offered help. “It’s dying,” he said. “That said, I’m confident Brick Lane will regain its vibrancy, but it will only do so if it provides food experiences for the new generation. For that to happen, ethnic minority businesses will need help and support."

More For You

India jewellery

The US accounts for nearly £7.6 billion, or 30.4 per cent, of India’s annual gems and jewellery exports.(Photo: Reuters)

Reuters

India’s jewellery exports face decline as US tariffs hit

INDIA’s £24 billion gems and jewellery industry is preparing for a sharp decline in exports as the US imposes a 26 per cent tariff on Indian goods.

Industry officials said this would significantly affect sales to the US, India’s largest jewellery market.

Keep ReadingShow less
ronnie screwvala

Ronnie Screwvala’s rise to billionaire status is an inspiring story of vision

Getty

Ronnie Screwvala: From toothbrush seller to Bollywood's lone billionaire

The 2025 edition of the Forbes Billionaire List was released on Wednesday morning, showcasing the world's wealthiest individuals. The list features 3,028 billionaires globally, including 205 from India. Among these is Bollywood's only billionaire, Ronnie Screwvala, a media mogul whose journey from manufacturing toothbrushes to becoming a leading entrepreneur is nothing short of remarkable. With a net worth of $1.5 billion, Screwvala has surpassed the combined fortunes of Bollywood’s biggest stars, including Shah Rukh Khan, Salman Khan, and Aamir Khan.

Bollywood’s wealthiest man

Ronnie Screwvala stands as the richest person from the Hindi film industry, with a fortune exceeding that of its biggest icons. According to Forbes, his net worth of $1.5 billion surpasses the combined wealth of Shah Rukh Khan ($770 million), Salman Khan ($390 million), and Aamir Khan ($220 million), whose total stands at $1.38 billion. Additionally, he eclipses other notable figures such as Gulshan Kumar (approximately $900 million) and Aditya Chopra ($800 million). His financial success is a testament to his entrepreneurial acumen and strategic investments in both entertainment and education sectors.

Keep ReadingShow less
Donald Trump

Trump announced a series of tariff increases targeting various nations, including key US allies such as the UK and the European Union.

Getty Images

Trump’s tariffs hit global markets, Starmer warns of 'economic impact'

The UK and other global economies reacted on Thursday to US president Donald Trump's newly imposed tariffs, with prime minister Keir Starmer warning of an “economic impact” from the 10 per cent levy on British exports.

Trump announced a series of tariff increases targeting various nations, including key US allies such as the UK and the European Union.

Keep ReadingShow less
Airbus bets on Indian supply
base to scale up production

Guillaume Faury

Airbus bets on Indian supply base to scale up production

AIRCRAFT maker Airbus plans to significantly ramp up its annual sourcing of components and services from India to reach $2 billion (£1.54bn) by 2030, its CEO Guillaume Faury has said.

Describing India as one of the most important markets for Airbus in terms of growth, Faury said the challenge for the aircraft maker is to support the speed of the growth of the aviation industry in India.

Keep ReadingShow less
nintendo switch 2

The new console aims to build upon the success of its predecessor while introducing fresh innovations

Getty

Nintendo unveils Switch 2 - A new era for hybrid gaming begins

After months of speculation and cryptic teaser campaigns, Nintendo has officially announced the highly anticipated successor to its bestselling hybrid console. The Nintendo Switch 2 is set to launch on 5 June, with a price tag of £395.99 for the base package and £429.99 for a bundle including Mario Kart World. With a range of hardware improvements, redesigned controllers, and an exciting lineup of games, the new console aims to build upon the success of its predecessor while introducing fresh innovations.

A Bigger, Sharper Display and 4K Support

One of the most noticeable upgrades in the Nintendo Switch 2 is its display. The console now features a larger 7.9-inch screen, boasting twice the pixel count of the original Switch and supporting full 1080p resolution. Additionally, the display is capable of up to 120 frames per second, ensuring smoother animations, while high dynamic range (HDR) enhances colour contrast for a richer visual experience. Despite these improvements, the Switch 2 maintains the same thickness as the original model, preserving its signature portable form factor.

Keep ReadingShow less