Skip to content
Search

Latest Stories

UK eases curbs for travel into England

UK eases curbs for travel into England

THE UK government announced changes on Wednesday (5) to Covid travel rules for England, scrapping the need for visitors to have pre-departure tests and quarantine on arrival until they have tested negative.

The new arrangements under which arrivals will be able to take a lateral flow in the first two days after travel rather than a more expensive PCR test come as official data showed one in 15 people in England were infected with coronavirus in the last week of 2021.


Britain, already among the worst-hit countries in Europe by the pandemic with a virus death toll of nearly 150,000, has seen a fresh surge in cases due to the arrival of the Omicron variant in late November.

Updating lawmakers after daily case numbers crossed the 200,000 threshold in recent days, prime minister Boris Johnson said travel curbs beefed up last month to contain the strain were now ineffective.

UK's daily Covid infections hit record high of 129,471 (Photo by HOLLIE ADAMS/AFP via Getty Images)

"Now Omicron is so prevalent, these measures are having limited impact on the growth in cases while continuing to pose significant costs on our travel industry," he told MPs.

"So I can announce that in England from 4:00 am on Friday (7) we will be scrapping the pre-departure test, which discourages many from travelling...."

Johnson noted only those testing positive on lateral flow devices would be required to then do a further PCR test "to help us identify any new variants at the border".

However, he also announced testing rules for the general population in England without symptoms would be eased to help mitigate the fallout from the record infection levels.

Asymptomatic people who test positive will no longer require a confirmatory PCR test from January 11.

Instead, those who receive a positive result on a lateral flow device will be required to self-isolate immediately, without getting the PCR confirmation.

"Balanced approach"

The Office for National Statistics (ONS) earlier released its latest infection survey, showing more than one in 20 people had Covid-19 in the week ending on December 31 in Britain - its highest infection rate recorded during the pandemic.

An estimated 3.7 million people had the virus, up from 2.3 million the previous week, according to the ONS, which is seen as one of the most reliable counts as it randomly samples the population.

The unprecedented levels were the highest in London where as many as one in 10 people had it.

"#COVID19 infection rates continued to increase across all age groups in England... with the highest rates still seen in school-age children and young adults," the ONS said.

In Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland, where devolved governments have reimposed some restrictions in recent weeks, rates were slightly lower at between one in 20 and one in 25 people.

Despite the unprecedented numbers, Johnson has opted not to introduce tougher restrictions in England, arguing the rising levels of hospitalisations and serious illness do not yet require more measures.

He has instead turned to so-called "plan B" measures - mandating mask-wearing in most settings and advising people to work from home if possible - while ramping up the vaccine booster programme.

"This government does not believe we need to shut down our country again," he told MPs.

"Instead we are taking a balanced approach, using the protection of the boosters and the Plan B measures to reduce the spread of the virus."

But other UK regions have tightened rules, with devolved governments in Edinburgh, Cardiff and Belfast all rolling out post-Christmas curbs on socialising and large events.

Scottish first minister Nicola Sturgeon said on Wednesday (5) the measures there, which have included closing nightclubs and limiting the size of gatherings, would remain in place until at least mid-January.

(AFP)

More For You

Police Recover £1M Stolen Jewellery in Hounslow, Owners Sought

The jewellery was largely taken from London’s South Asian community in Hounslow between 2023 and 2024. (Photo: Met Police)

Stolen jewellery worth £1m recovered in Hounslow, police seek owners

POLICE are seeking to reunite stolen jewellery worth over £1 million with its rightful owners after recovering the items during a proactive operation across London and the home counties.

The recovered collection includes identifiable pieces such as a World War One officer’s Rolex watch, a gold locket containing old pictures, an engraved gold ring, and an engraved gold pocket watch from Harlow Bros Ltd.

Keep ReadingShow less
british-muslims

The initiative aims to track incidents, raise awareness of hate crime, and provide better victim support.

iStock)

Government announces fund to combat anti-Muslim hate

THE UK government has announced a new fund to monitor anti-Muslim hate and support victims, with applications opening on 7 April.

The initiative aims to track incidents, raise awareness of hate crime, and provide better victim support.

Keep ReadingShow less
Probe launched over racist broadcast at Kent asylum centre

FILE PHOTO: Entrance of Manston short-term holding centre for migrants, near Ramsgate in southeast England. (Photo by BEN STANSALL/AFP via Getty Images)

Probe launched over racist broadcast at Kent asylum centre

AUTHORITIES have launched an investigation following reports that a racist message was broadcast over portable radios at an asylum processing centre in Kent.

The incident occurred at the Manston site, where small boat arrivals are processed by the Home Office and its contractor, Mitie, reported The Guardian.

Keep ReadingShow less
Protest against dog crackdown ahead of Modi's Sri Lanka visit

Sri Lankan animal rights activists take part in a demonstration in Colombo on April 3, 2025, to protest the round-up of stray dogs a day ahead of a visit by Narendra Modi. (Photo by ISHARA S. KODIKARA/AFP via Getty Images)

Protest against dog crackdown ahead of Modi's Sri Lanka visit

SRI LANKAN animal rights activists marched on Thursday (3) to protest the round-up of stray dogs a day ahead of a visit by Indian prime minister Narendra Modi.

Authorities in Colombo and the Buddhist pilgrim city of Anuradhapura have reportedly deployed dog catchers to impound hounds ahead of Modi's visit, which begins on Friday (4).

Keep ReadingShow less
modi-trump-getty

Donald Trump and Narendra Modi hold a joint press conference in the East Room at the White House on February 13, 2025 in Washington, DC. (Photo: Getty Images)

Getty Images

Explained: Impact of US tariffs on Indian exports

The United States has announced a 27 per cent reciprocal tariff on Indian goods entering the American market.

Industry experts have said these duties will pose challenges for Indian exports, though India's position remains more favourable than some of its competitors.

Keep ReadingShow less