Skip to content
Search

Latest Stories

UK gets 'dialogue partner' status by Southeast Asian bloc

UK gets 'dialogue partner' status by Southeast Asian bloc

ENGLAND has been granted "dialogue partner" status by the Association of Southeast Asian Nations, UK's Foreign, Commonwealth and Development Office (FCDO) announced on Thursday (5), saying that the partnership is expected to lead to closer cooperation between the UK and the region on a range of issues such as trade, investment, climate change, security, and education.

Britain has been seeking the status as part of its post-Brexit policy shift to focus more on the high-growth economies of Asia and the Indo-Pacific, and away from the EU which it left in 2020.


ASEAN foreign ministers welcomed the UK foreign secretary Dominic Raab in a virtual ceremony as an ASEAN ‘Dialogue Partner’, a status which puts England at the heart of the Indo-Pacific nations, FCDO said, adding that the countries are expected to work on key shared challenges such as maritime security and transnational crime apart from boosting economies through trade, and strengthening cooperation on issues such Covid-19 and climate change.

ASEAN is an influential group of ten member countries in the Indo-Pacific including Cambodia, Indonesia, Malaysia, Philippines, Singapore, Thailand and Vietnam. The group has close diplomatic relations with other world powers including the EU, the US, India and China, and is seen by many as an important forum for discussion of geopolitical issues.

Raab said that UK is the first new country in 25 years to formally become a dialogue partner of the ASEAN bloc.

“This is a landmark moment in the UK’s tilt towards the Indo Pacific. Our closer ties with ASEAN will help create green jobs, reinforce our security cooperation, promote tech and science partnerships, and safeguard key pillars of international law like the UN Convention on the Law of the Sea," Raab said in a statement.

The new agreement will also help the UK to deepen its economic links with ASEAN countries. Total trade between the UK and ASEAN was £32.3 billion in the four quarters to the end of Q1 2021, FCDO said, adding that there is a huge potential to boost this trade while creating jobs at home.

Raab has visited Southeast Asia five times since becoming UK’s foreign secretary. 

The announcement comes amid growing UK defence and security cooperation in the Indo-Pacific, as England's Carrier Strike Group, led by the HMS Queen Elizabeth, is in the region and has completed a series of engagements with a range of ASEAN partners, with further interactions planned in the autumn.

More For You

single-use vapes-iStock

Analysis by Material Focus estimates that 8.2 million vapes are discarded or littered each week in the UK—equivalent to 13 every second. (Representational image: iStock)

iStock

Shops told to clear single-use vapes before ban starts on June 1

SHOPS across the UK have until 1 June 2025 to sell off remaining stocks of single-use vapes before a nationwide ban comes into force.

The legislation, confirmed last year, follows a government consultation that showed strong support for restricting their sale and supply.

Keep ReadingShow less
Trump’s Promise: TikTok Deal Before April 5 to Avoid Ban

This is not the first time that TikTok has been under scrutiny in the United States

Getty

Trump promises TikTok deal before April 5 to prevent ban

As the clock ticks towards the April 5 deadline, the future of TikTok in the United States remains uncertain, with President Donald Trump promising that a deal to resolve the app's ongoing issues will be struck before the deadline. The central issue at hand is whether TikTok's parent company, ByteDance, will be forced to divest the popular social media platform or face a ban in the U.S.

In a statement made aboard Air Force One late on Sunday, Trump confirmed that there was "tremendous interest" from potential buyers looking to acquire TikTok. He expressed his desire for the platform to "remain alive" and emphasized that multiple buyers were keen on striking a deal, suggesting that a solution would be reached before the deadline.

Keep ReadingShow less
Primark-London-Getty

During his 15-year tenure, Marchant expanded Primark’s store network to more than 450 locations across 17 countries in Europe and the United States. (Photo: Reuters)

Primark chief Paul Marchant steps down after misconduct probe

PAUL MARCHANT, the head of fashion retailer Primark, has resigned with immediate effect after admitting to an "error of judgment" in his behaviour towards a woman in a social setting.

Associated British Foods (AB Foods), Primark's parent company, announced his resignation on Monday.

Keep ReadingShow less
Jaguar’s bold gamble: Can it woo young, wealthy drivers with a £123k EV?

Jaguar’s bold gamble: Can it woo young, wealthy drivers with a £123k EV?

JAGUAR’S ambition to seduce younger, richer drivers was on full display in Paris with a presentation of its newest prototype, the Type 00, which promises all-electric luxury... at a steep price.

The low-slung, muscular-looking concept car presented to European reporters last Friday (21) prefigures a production model expected mid-2026 at a base cost of €150,000 (£123,472.8).

Keep ReadingShow less
Starmer-Trump-Getty

Trump has suggested the possibility of a 'great' trade deal that could help the UK mitigate the impact of tariffs he has pledged to introduce. (Photo: Getty Images)

Starmer, Trump talk trade deal progress in 'productive' discussion

KEIR STARMER and Donald Trump spoke on Sunday about ongoing UK-US trade negotiations, with Downing Street describing the talks as "productive."

Since leaving the European Union, the UK has been working to secure a trade agreement with the United States. Successive British governments have pursued a deal, but it has remained elusive.

Keep ReadingShow less