Skip to content
Search

Latest Stories

UK government unlikely to tempt retirees back to work: report

UK government unlikely to tempt retirees back to work: report

BRITAIN's government is unlikely to be able to tempt back to work people who retired early during the Covid-19 pandemic, as most are better-off and few people return to work after lengthy periods out of the labour force, a think-tank said on Tuesday (21).

The Resolution Foundation, which focuses on issues affecting low and middle-earners, said the government would be better tackling issues such as the high cost of childcare and job support for current workers with poor physical or mental health.


Britain has seen a surge in the number of working-age people who are no longer in the labour market since the 2020 onset of the Covid-19 pandemic, prompting concern from both the government and the Bank of England.

Conservative finance minister Jeremy Hunt - who last month told The Times newspaper that over-50s should aspire to more than playing golf - is considering measures to boost labour force participation ahead of his March 15 budget.

"We need to reboot progress on getting people into work, but we're not going to achieve it by persuading the recent Covid cohort of older workers to 'unretire'," Resolution Foundation economist Louise Murphy said.

"Instead, we need to do more to encourage mothers in low-income families into work, and help people who need to take periods of time-off for ill-health stay attached to their jobs," she added.

Only one-in-10 people aged 55 to 59 who left the workforce since the pandemic were claiming welfare benefits, so changes to eligibility rules were unlikely to bring many back as workers, the think-tank said.

People who had been out of the labour force for two-and-a-half years - as is the case for those who retired in mid-2020 - historically had only a 2 per cent chance of returning to work in the next three months, it added.

If the government wanted to make early retirement less attractive in future, the Resolution Foundation said it should consider increasing further the minimum age at which people can access funds they have paid into private pension plans. This stands at 55, and is due to rise to 57 in 2028.

(Reuters)

More For You

Tower Hamlets secures funding to save domestic abuse support jobs

The planned strike action was called off after the external funding was secured

Tower Hamlets secures funding to save domestic abuse support jobs

Ruby Gregory

REDUNDANCY proposals which would have seen job cuts made to a ‘crucial’ domestic abuse support service in Tower Hamlets have been called off.

Solace Women’s Aid, which planned to make cuts, confirmed last Friday (28) the redundancies were no longer going ahead, following a boost in external funding which followed a threat of strike action.

Keep ReadingShow less
Report reveals Birmingham’s doctors face racism and bullying
Absences have risen at the Queen Elizabeth and Heartlands Hospitals in Birmingham, as well as Good Hope in Sutton and Solihull Hospital

Report reveals Birmingham’s doctors face racism and bullying

Gurdip Thandi

YOUNG doctors in Birmingham hospitals face a ‘shocking’ number of incidents of bullying, racism and sexism from patients and other staff.

The Medical Academy Annual Report was presented to a University Hospitals Birmingham NHS Foundation Trust board meeting, which revealed the data.

Keep ReadingShow less
Former police officer arrested in Rotherham investigation

Investigators believe the earlier offences happened between 1995 and 2002 (Photo for representation: iStock)

Former police officer arrested in Rotherham investigation

A FORMER police officer has been arrested in connection with the ongoing investigation into child sexual abuse in Rotherham, authorities revealed on Tuesday (1).

The former constable, who is in his 50s, was taken into custody on Monday (31). He is suspected of raping a teenage girl in the South Yorkshire town in 2004, according to officials.

Keep ReadingShow less
Modi Xi

Narendra Modi and Xi Jinping during their meeting in October 2024.

75 years of India-China relations: Modi, Xi call for stronger ties

INDIAN prime minister Narendra Modi and Chinese president Xi Jinping exchanged messages on Tuesday to mark the 75th anniversary of India-China diplomatic relations.

Modi stated that the development of bilateral ties contributes to global stability and a multipolar world, while Xi called for a "dragon-elephant tango" to strengthen cooperation between the two countries, China's state-run Xinhua news agency reported.

Keep ReadingShow less
Sri Lanka forms committee to address UK sanctions
Anura Kumara Dissanayake

Sri Lanka forms committee to address UK sanctions

THE Sri Lanka government on Wednesday (2) formed a committee to recommend measures regarding the UK's decision to impose sanctions on three former military commanders who led the campaign that crushed the Liberation Tigers of Tamil Eelam (LTTE) in 2009.

Health minister Nalinda Jayatissa told reporters that foreign minister Vijitha Herath, justice minister Harshana Nanayakkara and deputy minister of defence Aruna Jayasekara would comprise the committee that would consult experts for the purpose.

Keep ReadingShow less