Skip to content
Search

Latest Stories

UK-India Joint Workshop Discusses Rebuilding Kerala For Resilient Future

Leeds University, UK and Kerala’s TKM College of Engineering hosted a two-day international workshop titled ‘Rebuilding a Resilient Kerala after the Floods’ in Kerala’s capital city, Thiruvananthapuram on January 6 and 7.

The workshop focussed on bringing academia, industry, and government agencies together with a common interest in rebuilding Kerala for a resilient future.


Through the workshop, key stakeholders from both the countries jointly identified short-term, medium-term, and long-term goals to deal with the challenges such as, reconstruction of critical and civil infrastructure in a resilient manner, building capability to cope with any future floods due to climate changes, land use planning for a sustainable and resilient society and, educating the next generation of engineers to deal with the above three aspects.

The workshop was co-hosted by the Kerala State Planning Board, Government of Kerala and the Royal Academy of Engineering (UK) under the aegis of the Newton-Bhabha Fund to support the UK-India bilateral science and innovation collaboration.

Deputy High Commissioner Jeremy Pilmore-Bedford said, “I’m delighted that the jointly funded UK-India Newton-Bhabha Fund has been able to support such a vital discussion in Trivandrum to help rebuild a resilient post-flood Kerala. Our high commissioner Sir Dominic Asquith and I met the chief minister of Kerala recently to express our concern for the loss of life and property during the floods and we are glad that UK-Kerala academic and research practitioners are coming together for this timely knowledge-sharing event.

“This event highlights how the best minds from India and the UK can together help solve real-world problems with solutions that can be applied to meet global challenges. It is of course part of wider work. The Newton-Bhabha Fund has supported 61 projects and grants in Kerala in sectors like public health and wellbeing, sustainable cities and urbanisation, energy-water-food, big data, advanced manufacturing and skills,” he added.

More For You

‘All options on the table’ as Britain
prepares for likelihood of US tariffs

Sir Keir Starmer with Jonathan Reynolds

‘All options on the table’ as Britain prepares for likelihood of US tariffs

BRITAIN is likely to be hit by US tariffs despite making “rapid progress” over a trade deal with Washington, prime minister Sir Keir Starmer said on Tuesday (1).

He spoke as US trading partners around the world braced for an expected fresh raft of tariffs from president Donald Trump, in addition to levies already imposed on steel and those set to take effect this week on cars.

Keep ReadingShow less
single-use vapes-iStock

Analysis by Material Focus estimates that 8.2 million vapes are discarded or littered each week in the UK—equivalent to 13 every second. (Representational image: iStock)

iStock

Shops told to clear single-use vapes before ban starts on June 1

SHOPS across the UK have until 1 June 2025 to sell off remaining stocks of single-use vapes before a nationwide ban comes into force.

The legislation, confirmed last year, follows a government consultation that showed strong support for restricting their sale and supply.

Keep ReadingShow less
Primark-London-Getty

During his 15-year tenure, Marchant expanded Primark’s store network to more than 450 locations across 17 countries in Europe and the United States. (Photo: Reuters)

Primark chief Paul Marchant steps down after misconduct probe

PAUL MARCHANT, the head of fashion retailer Primark, has resigned with immediate effect after admitting to an "error of judgment" in his behaviour towards a woman in a social setting.

Associated British Foods (AB Foods), Primark's parent company, announced his resignation on Monday.

Keep ReadingShow less
Jaguar’s bold gamble: Can it woo young, wealthy drivers with a £123k EV?

Jaguar’s bold gamble: Can it woo young, wealthy drivers with a £123k EV?

JAGUAR’S ambition to seduce younger, richer drivers was on full display in Paris with a presentation of its newest prototype, the Type 00, which promises all-electric luxury... at a steep price.

The low-slung, muscular-looking concept car presented to European reporters last Friday (21) prefigures a production model expected mid-2026 at a base cost of €150,000 (£123,472.8).

Keep ReadingShow less
Starmer-Trump-Getty

Trump has suggested the possibility of a 'great' trade deal that could help the UK mitigate the impact of tariffs he has pledged to introduce. (Photo: Getty Images)

Starmer, Trump talk trade deal progress in 'productive' discussion

KEIR STARMER and Donald Trump spoke on Sunday about ongoing UK-US trade negotiations, with Downing Street describing the talks as "productive."

Since leaving the European Union, the UK has been working to secure a trade agreement with the United States. Successive British governments have pursued a deal, but it has remained elusive.

Keep ReadingShow less