Skip to content
Search

Latest Stories

UK, Irish Ministers Say 'Very Close' To Brexit Deal

British and Irish ministers said Friday (2) they were "very close" to agreeing how to keep open the land border between them after Brexit, which is holding up a divorce deal with the EU.

"I think we're very close to resolving it, I certainly hope we are," Irish Foreign minister Simon Coveney told reporters after talks in Dublin.


British Cabinet Office minister David Lidington told the same press conference, "We're certainly, as Simon says, very close to resolving it."

He added that negotiations in Brussels now need to "continue and intensify further".

But neither minister gave details of how they were going to break the impasse over the border, which has prompted fears that Britain could leave the European Union without a deal next March.

Britain intends to leave the bloc's single market and customs union, meaning the border between its province of Northern Ireland and EU member Ireland will become an external EU frontier after Brexit.

Both sides have pledged to ensure no physical infrastructure, such as customs checks, but disagree over how this can be achieved if and until they agree a new trade deal that would resolve the issue.

Lidington was in Dublin for the British-Irish Intergovernmental Conference, a forum for talks between the two countries established under the 1998 Northern Ireland peace agreement.

His colleague Dominic Raab, Britain's Brexit minister, visited Northern Ireland on Friday where he met with local politicians and businesses.

It emerged this week that Raab believes a Brexit deal can be finalised with the EU by November 21, although Prime minister Theresa May's office was more cautious.

Coveney warned in Paris on Wednesday (31) that if there was to be a breakthrough this month, "we need the negotiating teams to find a way forward in the next week or so".

The Irish minister revealed Friday that Dublin was in daily contact with the team of EU chief negotiator Michel Barnier in Brussels.

Agence France-Presse

More For You

single-use vapes-iStock

Analysis by Material Focus estimates that 8.2 million vapes are discarded or littered each week in the UK—equivalent to 13 every second. (Representational image: iStock)

iStock

Shops told to clear single-use vapes before ban starts on June 1

SHOPS across the UK have until 1 June 2025 to sell off remaining stocks of single-use vapes before a nationwide ban comes into force.

The legislation, confirmed last year, follows a government consultation that showed strong support for restricting their sale and supply.

Keep ReadingShow less
Trump’s Promise: TikTok Deal Before April 5 to Avoid Ban

This is not the first time that TikTok has been under scrutiny in the United States

Getty

Trump promises TikTok deal before April 5 to prevent ban

As the clock ticks towards the April 5 deadline, the future of TikTok in the United States remains uncertain, with President Donald Trump promising that a deal to resolve the app's ongoing issues will be struck before the deadline. The central issue at hand is whether TikTok's parent company, ByteDance, will be forced to divest the popular social media platform or face a ban in the U.S.

In a statement made aboard Air Force One late on Sunday, Trump confirmed that there was "tremendous interest" from potential buyers looking to acquire TikTok. He expressed his desire for the platform to "remain alive" and emphasized that multiple buyers were keen on striking a deal, suggesting that a solution would be reached before the deadline.

Keep ReadingShow less
Primark-London-Getty

During his 15-year tenure, Marchant expanded Primark’s store network to more than 450 locations across 17 countries in Europe and the United States. (Photo: Reuters)

Primark chief Paul Marchant steps down after misconduct probe

PAUL MARCHANT, the head of fashion retailer Primark, has resigned with immediate effect after admitting to an "error of judgment" in his behaviour towards a woman in a social setting.

Associated British Foods (AB Foods), Primark's parent company, announced his resignation on Monday.

Keep ReadingShow less
Jaguar’s bold gamble: Can it woo young, wealthy drivers with a £123k EV?

Jaguar’s bold gamble: Can it woo young, wealthy drivers with a £123k EV?

JAGUAR’S ambition to seduce younger, richer drivers was on full display in Paris with a presentation of its newest prototype, the Type 00, which promises all-electric luxury... at a steep price.

The low-slung, muscular-looking concept car presented to European reporters last Friday (21) prefigures a production model expected mid-2026 at a base cost of €150,000 (£123,472.8).

Keep ReadingShow less
Starmer-Trump-Getty

Trump has suggested the possibility of a 'great' trade deal that could help the UK mitigate the impact of tariffs he has pledged to introduce. (Photo: Getty Images)

Starmer, Trump talk trade deal progress in 'productive' discussion

KEIR STARMER and Donald Trump spoke on Sunday about ongoing UK-US trade negotiations, with Downing Street describing the talks as "productive."

Since leaving the European Union, the UK has been working to secure a trade agreement with the United States. Successive British governments have pursued a deal, but it has remained elusive.

Keep ReadingShow less