Skip to content
Search

Latest Stories

UK launches £16-m fund to support businesses for trading after Brexit  

THE UK has launched a £16-million fund today (3) to train thousands of customs experts and support businesses for trading after Brexit.

The fund will help businesses to train staff in making customs declarations, and businesses who support others to trade goods to invest in IT.


The latest funding move is to ensure that trade with the EU continues as smoothly as possible after Brexit.

“Customs agents currently help businesses who trade outside the EU. This funding will help increase the capacity of the sector as businesses trading with the EU will consider whether to get an expert to complete customs documentation for them after Brexit,” HMRC said in a release.

The British government is determined to support the industry by both training more staff and becoming more efficient, in order to ensure that Britain is fully ready to leave the EU on October 31, whatever the circumstances, it added.

Financial Secretary to the Treasury, Jesse Norman, MP, said: “Brexit takes place on October 31, and we urge all businesses to make the necessary preparations to be fully ready. The government has doubled the support available so that thousands more customs experts are on hand to help businesses on and after Brexit day.

“...As part of the cash injection, border and customs operations will receive an additional £344m to be ready for Brexit, including by hiring more border officers and improving transport infrastructure around ports.”

Over 3,000 agents have already been trained as part of an £8m investment earlier this year, which has also been used to develop new online learning products for customs staff, such as an electronic learning package and a new UK Customs Academy.

This latest funding on Tuesday (3) will go further, with the additional £16m to be invested to help ensure businesses have all the support they need to get ready for Brexit.

Businesses based in or with a branch in the UK can apply for funding ahead of the UK leaving the EU.

The grants can be used to support training costs for businesses who complete customs declarations, or who intend to in the future.

More For You

single-use vapes-iStock

Analysis by Material Focus estimates that 8.2 million vapes are discarded or littered each week in the UK—equivalent to 13 every second. (Representational image: iStock)

iStock

Shops told to clear single-use vapes before ban starts on June 1

SHOPS across the UK have until 1 June 2025 to sell off remaining stocks of single-use vapes before a nationwide ban comes into force.

The legislation, confirmed last year, follows a government consultation that showed strong support for restricting their sale and supply.

Keep ReadingShow less
Trump’s Promise: TikTok Deal Before April 5 to Avoid Ban

This is not the first time that TikTok has been under scrutiny in the United States

Getty

Trump promises TikTok deal before April 5 to prevent ban

As the clock ticks towards the April 5 deadline, the future of TikTok in the United States remains uncertain, with President Donald Trump promising that a deal to resolve the app's ongoing issues will be struck before the deadline. The central issue at hand is whether TikTok's parent company, ByteDance, will be forced to divest the popular social media platform or face a ban in the U.S.

In a statement made aboard Air Force One late on Sunday, Trump confirmed that there was "tremendous interest" from potential buyers looking to acquire TikTok. He expressed his desire for the platform to "remain alive" and emphasized that multiple buyers were keen on striking a deal, suggesting that a solution would be reached before the deadline.

Keep ReadingShow less
Primark-London-Getty

During his 15-year tenure, Marchant expanded Primark’s store network to more than 450 locations across 17 countries in Europe and the United States. (Photo: Reuters)

Primark chief Paul Marchant steps down after misconduct probe

PAUL MARCHANT, the head of fashion retailer Primark, has resigned with immediate effect after admitting to an "error of judgment" in his behaviour towards a woman in a social setting.

Associated British Foods (AB Foods), Primark's parent company, announced his resignation on Monday.

Keep ReadingShow less
Jaguar’s bold gamble: Can it woo young, wealthy drivers with a £123k EV?

Jaguar’s bold gamble: Can it woo young, wealthy drivers with a £123k EV?

JAGUAR’S ambition to seduce younger, richer drivers was on full display in Paris with a presentation of its newest prototype, the Type 00, which promises all-electric luxury... at a steep price.

The low-slung, muscular-looking concept car presented to European reporters last Friday (21) prefigures a production model expected mid-2026 at a base cost of €150,000 (£123,472.8).

Keep ReadingShow less
Starmer-Trump-Getty

Trump has suggested the possibility of a 'great' trade deal that could help the UK mitigate the impact of tariffs he has pledged to introduce. (Photo: Getty Images)

Starmer, Trump talk trade deal progress in 'productive' discussion

KEIR STARMER and Donald Trump spoke on Sunday about ongoing UK-US trade negotiations, with Downing Street describing the talks as "productive."

Since leaving the European Union, the UK has been working to secure a trade agreement with the United States. Successive British governments have pursued a deal, but it has remained elusive.

Keep ReadingShow less