Skip to content
Search

Latest Stories

UK man on trial for attempted contract hit on Pakistani blogger

UK man on trial for attempted contract hit on Pakistani blogger

A BRITISH man went on trial on Thursday (13) accused of attempting to carry out a contract killing of a prominent Pakistani blogger who lives in self-imposed exile in the Netherlands.

Muhammed Gohir Khan, 31, was arrested and charged in June last year with conspiracy to murder the liberal activist Ahmad Waqass Goraya and has pleaded not guilty.

Prosecutor Alison Morgan said Khan, from east London, travelled to Rotterdam, where Goraya lives, buying a knife and attempting to locate the blogger after being offered £100,000 to carry out the hit.

Khan was hired by "others who appeared to be based in Pakistan", Morgan told a court in Kingston Upon Thames, southwest London.

In 2018, Goraya "received information from the FBI that he was on a kill list", she said and added that he feared a state-orchestrated attack.

"He believes that some of the threats that he received were from internet trolls but that others were, in fact, being led and orchestrated by ISI," she said, referring to Pakistan's intelligence agency.

The lawyer told the jury that Goraya's blog "made fun of the Pakistani military", calling him "culturally Muslim but... not a practising Muslim".

His social media postings went "so far on occasions as to call Pakistan a terrorist state", she added.

Goraya was not at the hearing, which Reporters Without Borders (RSF) said it was monitoring.

"There will be no dispute... that there was a plot to kill Mr Goraya," said Morgan in her opening speech.

"Someone wanted him to be killed. And it may be that the motivation for wanting to kill Mr Goraya was his political activism and those who wanted to kill Mr Goraya were clearly prepared to pay money to ensure that that happened."

“Motivated by money”

The court was told that Khan accepted he travelled to Rotterdam and sent encrypted messages shown to the jury discussing a "job".

Khan maintained he wanted to get the money but never intended to go through with the killing, it was alleged.

"The prosecution says that cannot be true," Morgan said.

Khan was charged on June 28 with conspiring with unknown other people to murder Goraya in the Netherlands between February 16 and June 24.

He was arrested shortly after arriving on a train from the Netherlands.

Morgan said Khan was in "significant debt" of more than £200,000 in February last year and had no way of paying his creditors from a job at a supermarket.

"He was enthusiastic about carrying out the killing to earn the money and to carry out further attacks in the future," the prosecutor alleged.

She said Khan knew Goraya was "a man of political interest" but "it was this level of debt that was the principal motivation".

The jury was shown evidence including security camera footage and transcripts of exchanges on encrypted messaging app Signal.

The crime did not take place due to a miscalculation, Morgan said.

"Unknown to him, Mr Goraya was not at his home address in Rotterdam at that time, and after a few days of fruitless attempts to locate Mr Goraya the defendant gave up."

(AFP)

More For You

Sri Lanka forms committee to address UK sanctions
Anura Kumara Dissanayake

Sri Lanka forms committee to address UK sanctions

THE Sri Lanka government on Wednesday (2) formed a committee to recommend measures regarding the UK's decision to impose sanctions on three former military commanders who led the campaign that crushed the Liberation Tigers of Tamil Eelam (LTTE) in 2009.

Health minister Nalinda Jayatissa told reporters that foreign minister Vijitha Herath, justice minister Harshana Nanayakkara and deputy minister of defence Aruna Jayasekara would comprise the committee that would consult experts for the purpose.

Keep ReadingShow less
Gujarat-blast-ANI

The blast caused the factory’s concrete roof to collapse, scattering debris and body parts across the area, officials confirmed. (Photo: ANI)

ANI

Death toll rises to 21 in Gujarat firework factory explosion

AN EXPLOSION at an illegal firecracker factory in Gujarat's Deesa town killed 21 people and injured several others on Tuesday, officials said.

The blast caused the factory’s concrete roof to collapse, scattering debris and body parts across the area, officials confirmed.

Keep ReadingShow less
Child benefit payments set to rise for UK families

Child benefit, normally paid every four weeks directly into bank accounts, has undergone significant changes in recent months (Photo: Getty Images)

Child benefit payments set to rise for UK families

MILLIONS of British families are set to receive a financial boost as child benefit payments increase from April 7, according to HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC).

From next week, parents will receive £26.05 per week for the eldest or only child, amounting to £1,354.60 annually - up from the current rate of £25.60. For each additional child, payments will rise to £17.25 weekly, totalling £897 per year - an increase from the present £16.95 rate. This represents a 1.7 per cent increase across all payment categories.

Keep ReadingShow less
Anant Ambani Walks 140 Km in Spiritual Tribute on 30th Birthday

Anant’s padyatra is a reflection of the larger cultural fabric of India

Getty

Anant Ambani embarks on a 140-kilometer spiritual journey on foot to celebrate 30th birthday

Anant Ambani, a director of Reliance Industries Limited and a prominent figure in Indian industry, has chosen a unique and spiritual way to mark his 30th birthday. As part of his celebrations, he is currently undertaking a padyatra—a traditional pilgrimage on foot—from Jamnagar to Dwarka, covering a distance of approximately 140 kilometres. The journey reflects his devotion to Lord Dwarkadhish, the presiding deity of the Dwarkadhish Temple in the city of Dwarka.

Anant began his journey from his family’s residence in Moti Khavdi, Jamnagar, and has been progressing steadily for the past five days. Walking an estimated 10-12 kilometres each night, he travels under the protection of Z+ security and local police, ensuring his safety during this significant journey. The padyatra is expected to take between seven to nine days in total, with plans to conclude at the Dwarkadhish Temple in time for his birthday on April 10.

Keep ReadingShow less
New TB action plan proposed as cases surge

Government urged experts to come forward to help draw up a new five-year TB action plan. (Photo: Getty Images)

New TB action plan proposed as cases surge

BRITAIN on Wednesday (2) urged health experts and sufferers of tuberculosis (TB) to come forward to help draw up a new five-year action plan as it deals with record rises in the disease.

In 2023, England recorded its largest annual increase (11 per cent) in cases since enhanced surveillance began in 2000.

Keep ReadingShow less