Skip to content
Search

Latest Stories

Muslim council demands probe into Tory 'Islamophobia crisis'

THE Muslim Council of Britain (MCB) has reasserted its demand for an independent probe into Islamophobia accusations against the Conservative Party, after sending a dossier of 300 alleged cases involving Tories to UK’s human rights watchdog.

The dossier sent to the Equality and Human Rights Commission (EHRC) included claims against the prime minister and his aides, party members, MPs and councillors.


The MCB’s secretary general, Harun Khan, accused the party of being in “denial” over the “systemic” problem of Islamophobia.

He urged the EHRC to take “swift action”, alleging that the watchdog had “failed to give any response” to its formal demand for an inquiry in May last year.

The first dossier had named about 150 people who allegedly displayed Islamophobia, or made anti-Muslim remarks.

The new dossier, with double the number of allegations, included:

* The prime minister’s chief adviser Dominic Cummings playing on “fears of immigration and hate against Muslims” during the Vote Leave campaign.

* MP Dehenna Davison being photographed with a far-right activist, who was spotted in a picture showing him burning a copy of the Koran while posing next to a “f*** P****” message.

* MP Daniel Kawczynski speaking at a conference with far-right leaders.

* MP Karl McCartney retweeting anti-Islam activist Tommy Robinson’s posts.

* MP Sally-Ann Hart terming an anti-Islam activist’s article as an “affecting read”.

* Unsavoury comments by Andrew Sabisky, who recently quit as a No 10 adviser, on the UK turning into a “majority Islamic nation” by 2050.

Though the Conservative Party had promised a probe on discrimination in general within the party, but refused a specific independent inquiry into Islamophobia.

“There is no doubt that the Conservative Party has an Islamophobia crisis: it is institutional, systemic and widespread,” Khan told the Mirror. “The party's response has been one of denial, dismissal and deceit.”

He added that it was a case of “clear discrimination against Muslims” because of their religion”.

Said Khan: “The absence of meaningful action by the Conservative Party despite the wealth of evidence makes it all the more important that the EHRC recognises the impact of this level of Islamophobia in our governing party, and takes swift action.”

An EHRC spokesperson said the watchdog was “actively considering what, if any, action we may take in relation to the handling of Islamophobia and other discrimination within the Conservative Party”.

“We are also awaiting the final terms of reference of the party's independent review which we will consider as part of our decision making process,” she added.

The MCB dossier highlighted the prime minister’s “dehumanising and offensive” comments comparing women wearing purdahs to “bank robbers” and “letter boxes”.

Johnson had apologised for “all the hurt and offence” caused to Muslims, and promised a “zero-tolerance approach” towards Islamophobia.

More For You

india-sri-lanka-deals

A new five-year defence cooperation agreement includes provisions for training Sri Lankan military personnel in India, along with information and technology sharing. (Photo: X/@narendramodi)

Modi signs defence and energy deals during Sri Lanka visit

INDIA and Sri Lanka signed defence and energy agreements on Saturday during prime minister Narendra Modi’s visit to Colombo, aimed at strengthening ties between the two neighbours.

The agreements come amid New Delhi’s concerns over China’s growing influence in the region.

Keep ReadingShow less
Did Obama Really Weaken the Democratic Party? A New Book Reveals

Fight: Inside the Wildest Battle for the White House offers a detailed narrative

Getty

New book claims Obama ‘destroyed’ Democratic Party during and after presidency

A newly published political book has revealed fresh details about former President Barack Obama's complicated relationship with the Democratic Party, portraying him as a figure who weakened the party’s infrastructure during and after his time in office.

The book, Fight: Inside the Wildest Battle for the White House, authored by political journalists Jonathan Allen and Amie Parnes, claims that Obama was never a strong loyalist to the Democratic Party. According to the authors, rather than relying on the traditional Democratic Party structure, Obama built his political base by fostering a network of Black professionals to support his campaigns, differentiating him from figures such as former President Bill Clinton, former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton, and current President Joe Biden.

Keep ReadingShow less
TCS-Reuters

TCS has denied all allegations. (Photo: Reuters)

TCS denies age and nationality bias in UK redundancy case

A UK employment tribunal has heard claims that Tata Consultancy Services (TCS) unfairly targeted older, non-Indian nationals during a redundancy programme in 2023.

According to The Guardian, three former employees allege that TCS, a Mumbai-based IT outsourcing firm, discriminated against them on grounds of age and nationality as part of a restructuring process.

Keep ReadingShow less
Sadiq Khan

Khan will be given 'call-in' powers to review decisions by local councils that block late-night drinking licences in key nightlife areas. (Photo: Getty Images)

New powers for Sadiq Khan to support London's night-time economy

LONDON Sadiq Khan will receive new powers to help cut red tape affecting pubs, clubs and restaurants, the UK government announced on Friday.

Khan will be given “call-in” powers to review decisions by local councils that block late-night drinking licences in key nightlife areas.

Keep ReadingShow less
Russell brand

Sexual offences said to have taken place between 1999 and 2005

Getty

Russell Brand faces rape and sexual assault charges involving 4 women

Russell Brand has been formally charged with a series of sexual offences said to have taken place between 1999 and 2005. The comedian and actor faces allegations from four separate women, with the charges including rape, indecent assault, oral rape and further counts of sexual assault.

The Metropolitan Police confirmed on Friday that Brand has been informed of the charges. A statement from the force said he is to be charged with one count of rape in the Bournemouth area in 1999, one count of indecent assault in Westminster in 2001, one count of oral rape and an additional sexual assault in Westminster in 2004, and a further count of sexual assault in Westminster between 2004 and 2005.

Keep ReadingShow less