Skip to content
Search

Latest Stories

UK offers £500m package to Jaguar Land Rover to set up battery giga-factory

Jeremy Hunt's offer of incentives includes a cash grant, reductions in energy costs and covering the cost of upgrading the power network

BRITAIN’S government has offered incentives worth £500 million to help Jaguar and Land Rover set up a new electric battery “giga-factory”.

Chancellor of Exchequer Jeremy Hunt’s offer comes amid the reports that JLR is weighing up the option of having a giga-factory production facility in Spain as the UK’s largest carmaker is shifting its focus to electric vehicles.

The incentives are seen as an attempt at dissuading the company from offshoring its battery manufacturing and ultimately its car assembly plants.

Last month, JRL unveiled a plan to invest £15 billion over the next five years to transition itself to an “electric-first carmaker” by 2030.

It said its Halewood plant in Merseyside would be transformed into an all-electric production facility and its next-generation medium-size SUV architecture would now be pure-electric.

The Tata Motors-owned company is catching up with its German rivals Mercedes and BMW which have already made strides in the electric vehicle space.

Hunt’s offer of incentives includes a cash grant, reductions in energy costs and covering the cost of upgrading the power network around the site JLR’s parent has identified in Somerset, The Times reported.

The subsidy Hunt put on the table represents half of the government’s automotive transformation fund of £1 billion.

The government is also sweetening the offer by linking it to a further £300 million package for Tata Group to upgrade its Port Talbot steelworks, the report said.

Tata Steel UK had said last year that the future of its steelmaking facility in Britain would depend on how the government supports its decarbonisation efforts.

Germany and other European countries are funding steel companies to upgrade their facilities to achieve decarbonisation goals.

More For You

‘All options on the table’ as Britain
prepares for likelihood of US tariffs

Sir Keir Starmer with Jonathan Reynolds

‘All options on the table’ as Britain prepares for likelihood of US tariffs

BRITAIN is likely to be hit by US tariffs despite making “rapid progress” over a trade deal with Washington, prime minister Sir Keir Starmer said on Tuesday (1).

He spoke as US trading partners around the world braced for an expected fresh raft of tariffs from president Donald Trump, in addition to levies already imposed on steel and those set to take effect this week on cars.

Keep ReadingShow less
single-use vapes-iStock

Analysis by Material Focus estimates that 8.2 million vapes are discarded or littered each week in the UK—equivalent to 13 every second. (Representational image: iStock)

iStock

Shops told to clear single-use vapes before ban starts on June 1

SHOPS across the UK have until 1 June 2025 to sell off remaining stocks of single-use vapes before a nationwide ban comes into force.

The legislation, confirmed last year, follows a government consultation that showed strong support for restricting their sale and supply.

Keep ReadingShow less
Primark-London-Getty

During his 15-year tenure, Marchant expanded Primark’s store network to more than 450 locations across 17 countries in Europe and the United States. (Photo: Reuters)

Primark chief Paul Marchant steps down after misconduct probe

PAUL MARCHANT, the head of fashion retailer Primark, has resigned with immediate effect after admitting to an "error of judgment" in his behaviour towards a woman in a social setting.

Associated British Foods (AB Foods), Primark's parent company, announced his resignation on Monday.

Keep ReadingShow less
Jaguar’s bold gamble: Can it woo young, wealthy drivers with a £123k EV?

Jaguar’s bold gamble: Can it woo young, wealthy drivers with a £123k EV?

JAGUAR’S ambition to seduce younger, richer drivers was on full display in Paris with a presentation of its newest prototype, the Type 00, which promises all-electric luxury... at a steep price.

The low-slung, muscular-looking concept car presented to European reporters last Friday (21) prefigures a production model expected mid-2026 at a base cost of €150,000 (£123,472.8).

Keep ReadingShow less
Starmer-Trump-Getty

Trump has suggested the possibility of a 'great' trade deal that could help the UK mitigate the impact of tariffs he has pledged to introduce. (Photo: Getty Images)

Starmer, Trump talk trade deal progress in 'productive' discussion

KEIR STARMER and Donald Trump spoke on Sunday about ongoing UK-US trade negotiations, with Downing Street describing the talks as "productive."

Since leaving the European Union, the UK has been working to secure a trade agreement with the United States. Successive British governments have pursued a deal, but it has remained elusive.

Keep ReadingShow less